Sign in to follow this  
pokletu

Get rid of the Yellow Tinge to the world.

Yeah, that ugly pallor that for some strange reason appears INTENTIONALLY added on top of the renderer, in order to make everything bland.

That.

Get rid of it please.

KThnxBai.

English?

If you are referring to the screenshots released, the tint is done in post.

Yeah I would like the yellow tinge to be removed. It doesn't make things look better.

Mood lighting is very prevalent in games today, and has been for a while. It´s not there to make everything bland, it´s there to create atmosphere. Look at Black Hawk Down, for instance: do you complain about the yellow tinge they gave that movie?

It´s there to create mood and atmosphere, to give a sense of desolateness, heat and dust. Plus, it´s optional: just turn off postprocessing in the game options and you won´t have to deal with it.

I want it in.

Mood lighting also isn't realistic. You'd think BIS would be smarter enough than to assume adding brownness and yellowness to a scene makes it look better.

Real life Afganistan is this:

19637055_dad7a391ad.jpg

Not this:

arma-ii-operation-arrowhead-20100428022127088_640w.jpg

Mood lighting also isn't realistic. You'd think BIS would be smarter enough than to assume adding brownness and yellowness to a scene makes it look better.

Like I said, turn off postprocessing and you won´t have to deal with it. It´s not supposed to be realistic. It´s not "realistic" soldiering either, to sit in front of a small monitor with a packet of chips and a can of coke. You want to create an emotional response in the player, to create a "mood", to make them feel immersed in your setting. Like I said, nobody complained about Black Hawk Down being brown, because it does the job.

If it does the trick of making me feel as if I´m in a bleak, desperate war scenario, I welcome it. And who doesn´t like it can turn it off. Easy, no?

Just because Arma is a sim doesn´t mean it should loose sight of the "game" aspect. The full on sim is VBS, not Arma.

You don't even have to turn post processing off. Just don't enable Film Effects / Colors in your missions and your good to go.

Mood lighting is very prevalent in games today, and has been for a while. It´s not there to make everything bland, it´s there to create atmosphere. Look at Black Hawk Down, for instance: do you complain about the yellow tinge they gave that movie?

It´s there to create mood and atmosphere, to give a sense of desolateness, heat and dust. Plus, it´s optional: just turn off postprocessing in the game options and you won´t have to deal with it.

I want it in.

I thought Black Hawk Down had more of a blue filter added.

Your point still stands.

Okay seriously this topic doesn't really need to exist.

Same with [at least] half the other topics in this section.

It´s not "realistic" soldiering either, to sit in front of a small monitor with a packet of chips and a can of coke.

Sure is fun though!

I was talking with a friend of mine few weeks ago who has graduated from digital arts and he said that he's sick of the yellowish tint in every other game as if it would automatically make everything look cool. I don't mind it myself but I see what he's after, it's featured in numerous games nowadays. :D

Just to comment on a few posts, what's the point of a simulator if it's not realistic? There's nothing wrong with the OP wanting a bit more realism in a simulator. The mood lighting does make somethings look cool. But it definitely shouldn't be a hard-coded feature. Personally doesn't matter to me as long as it can be removed. And, btw, this thread isn't pointless...

it is not hardcoded in A2/OA, i wonder why it would be in A3

kthxHELLO - I want more mood lighting!

Chernarus in that distinguishing brown/grey or what was it. Very sexy.

Variation is good though.

of course screenshots can be a bit dishonest when too much post processing is done.. but they are pretty :)

Personally I like the PP effects, I also love the fact that you can change it in Arma2 like anything else.

It's not Post Processing. Mine's off. It's what's added to each frame at the end of each render(I think), but before what's been separated into the togglable 'post processing'.

By the way, sorry for the moodiness of my original post.

I think they put it in there because sunlight is mostly yellow(as a painter, I'm particularly aware of that). It's a failed strategy, though, because objects don't reflect just yellow, they reflect what they don't absorb, yadda, yadda. All you "realism" nuts could do some research by getting off your realistic computer and go hiking. The real world's colors are far more vibrant than even what this absolutely-flawless-so-never-criticize-it simulator 'simulates'. The sky refracts BLUE to you; without any yellow toning it down.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, the absence of it can be seen when you enter a scripted savegame, for instance. They drop the yellow just for a moment when they print, "Saving Game".

They continue their (IMHO) bad strategy of lighting contrast ratios. It seems to me that they want to simulate the blazing sunlight-to-pitch, utter blackness in their lighting model, whereas it will be drawn on computer monitors sometimes with a contrast ratio as low as 800:1! It doesn't work. The monitor is not sunlight, and in real life, people can actually see where they're going when the sun's out, notwithstanding the sun blur, which is still overstated in this ga -uh, simulator. EDIT: Hence the washed-out look of the game, in addition to the added yellowness.

I'm a fan of the series, and that's why I'm posting, btw. Hoping to convice the devs of it. It's the forum for a game still in development, after all. Haters gonna hate, I guess, nonetheless.

I just wanna see this one of the aspects that get improvement...

Edited by pokletu
To clarify my point...

...or you could grab a Yr12 physics textbook....

No one ever said you couldn't criticise the game, in fact i'm fairly certain 100% of BI forums population has at some point.

ARMA2 have normal colors. There is a module that adds brown/yellow tint and of course the scripts that can add everything from tints to blur and god knows what.

I bet (like said before) that the same goes for ARMA3.

There was a video on youtube I found a few months ago showing off an addon that removed the color filter from OA with the push of a button.. It was a tremendous difference. Skies turned blue and the crazy drama bloom was removed.

I can't find it again.

My take on this whole situation is as follows. ArmA tries to be branded a simulator and not a game. A game can add crazy explosion effects and color filters to enhance "atmosphere". A true simulator has the responsibility of providing as REALISTIC an experience as possible. Color filters to generate atmosphere are not realistic, remove them completely.

Oh but it does! It's similar to camera shake in that they're forgetting that it's First-person, not First-camera! You should see as you would in real life.

Color filters to generate atmosphere are not realistic, remove them completely.

Better to leave them optional, as they are now. :)