Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Dan;2112031']Quick question' date=' has it been confirmed whether the take on helicopters flight model is only for the heli's, or is it being extended to the jets because it would be nice to see them handle realistically as well.[/quote']

We have no info on that I'm affraid :(

Edit

Ninja'd by the F@nb0Y

Improved flight model for jets would be good, especially with Limnos being epicly huge and all. Also it will feel weird using a gamey jet model while the helis have a much more realistic flight model. But I don't think it should be super high priority either. I want to see good lighting, smooth physics, and non power hungry PiP,

and minecraft in a MFD

:D

-Craig

Improved flight model for jets would be good, especially with Limnos being epicly huge and all. Also it will feel weird using a gamey jet model while the helis have a much more realistic flight model. But I don't think it should be super high priority either. I want to see good lighting, smooth physics, and non power hungry PiP,

-Craig

Now this is why I suggested it, because it would feel really out of place. Of course if we do, we'll need some 2 seat dual control training aircraft!

Hiya. someone told me that this game will have some sort of a beta soon? is this true? if so, has a date been given for this beta? Thanks

and minecraft in a MFD

:D

-Craig

ToH does apparently have ground effect in place for fixed wing arcraft in one of the recent betas, not tested it out yet though.

Bring on the Ekranoplans.

ToH does apparently have ground effect in place for fixed wing arcraft in one of the recent betas, not tested it out yet though.

Bring on the Ekranoplans.

That's in Arma2 aswell, so pretty much confirmed for Arma3. :D

It was introduced in beta 87105:

[87077] New: Ground effect computed for airplanes (0-10% depending on height)

[87075] New: Ground effect computed for helicopters (based on http://www.cybercom.net/~copters/aero/ground_effect.html)

I contacted RIE a few weeks ago about this actually, it was for TOH and seeing if it would support fixed wing aircraft, this was his reply:

What's important to understand about the flight modelling, is that it's essentially a 'generic' helicopter, with XMLs that plug in to provide different types - i.e. our light, heavy, and medium.

This model cannot define proper wings, nor jet engines, but - as I understand - helicopters can have two main rotors (coaxial or tandem); i.e., Chinook / Kamov.

Would be nice to know if something has changed since then concerning it (would be nice to know for both Arma 3 and TOH purpose)

I don't think the t-shirt is a customizable shirt. It's the base clothing on the model. It's a part of the underwear.

So you can't remove the shirt? Awww, there go my hopes of running around on Limnos bare-chested, wearing only underwear and a helmet, and blasting enemies away with a shotgun like a modern-day Spartan warrior.

Whatch out for real SHRAPNEL!:yay:

That would be nice indeed. Currently in Arma 2 you can escape any injury from blasts that in reality would probably shower you with potentially dangerous shrapnel. I wonder how challenging it might be to implement though, considering the large number of shrapnel particles that just one explosion might emit.

I wonder how challenging it might be to implement though, considering the large number of shrapnel particles that just one explosion might emit.

I doubt they would actually track hundreds or thousands of individual pieces of shrapnel for each explosion.

The optimal way to do it is to calculate the probabilities - i.e. how many pieces of shrapnel are likely to hit the target, based on spread, cross section, distance etc.

One thing I would like to see is the complete ability to script or make briefings within the editor, no more placing the script files in the mission directory to test it out, and maybe an 'Action' waypoint, with a bunch of options like 'place mine' or 'use' and you can type in the object name of the weapon.

The ability to download addons and mods that you do not have via server connection would be great, if enabled in the server settings. Unreal does this, different engine though, but is probably possible in VR too?

Also, maybe I just dont know enough about modding and there may be a way to do this, however, I could never figure out the object names of addons I downloaded, so its kind of hard to use them in scripts. An addon browser that shows the list of addons loaded and the object names of all of the weapons, equipment, vehicles etc. so you no longer have to go searching through it, would be nice.

I didn't notice this in the official list and search didn't pull up anything, but I'm sure something like the Trophy system by Rafael will be in use on many/most MBT's in the future (assuming there are still MBT's in use by then):

youtube.com/watch?v=-2IqZhonKzU

edit: oops, I see the Merkava 4m is listed, which has Trophy...

Naturally, counters to Trophy will be developed as well, so I guess BI can take creative license to address that -- perhaps dummy/decoy (i.e. cheaper) projectiles to falsely trigger Trophy, soon followed by the actual live projectile during Trophy's reset/reload time, or simply overwhelming/depleting it via numerous simultaneous projectiles or sustained attack, etc...

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

btw, love that there will be submarine (i.e. underwater) action. Wonder what kind of gun BI has envisioned for future combat in submarine environment. Surely, something that outclasses the M1 and APS -- auto-tracking, terrain-mapping mini torpedo rounds? :D

Edited by MJ12

]btw, love that there will be submarine (i.e. underwater) action. Wonder what kind of gun BI has envisioned for future combat in submarine environment. Surely, something that outclasses the M1 and APS -- auto-tracking, terrain-mapping mini torpedo rounds? :D

Sorry man, but the sub is just a prop, just like the LHD in ArmA 2.

hello fellow arma'er :D

lets be honest here, i was late to the party for arma 2. i played Opflashpoint Cold War, but stopped PC gaming for a few years.

built a PC recently to play BF3, then i remember arma and download it off steam. i was a bit turned off by it (same way with Opflashpoint) with the controls and complexity. but i spent more time and wasted countless hours in the editor (best feature of the game) and had a blast having firefight and everything.

LOOKING FORWARD TO ARMA 3

but here are some suggestion though (dont know if you guys will read it or not)

- easier editor. both to create and play with friends. i want the ability to place some enemy soldiers down on a field, launch it and have a blast with a friend shooting up enemies.

- better interface. i mean, the "command" button is on backspace lol wot?

- better control option. i fly jet and chopper in inverse Y axis. but there is only 1 inversion option. which invert EVERYTHING...i dont aim inverted...

- less aiming restriction. like when you vault over something, dont fixated my camera. let me look around and the character animation follow once that vaulting is done.

please note that my wish to make this game more accessible, does not mean that i want it to be like call of duty. i enjoy the complexity, but sometimes it overwhelm me.

alright. looking forward to arma 3 more than any other shooter this year.

also, if there are some active community out there still playing hardcore arma 2 MP. please add me on steam: xV1per7x (because everytime i join a server in arma 2, i have no freaking clue how to do anything...) :(

i own Arma 2 (free ones, but im planning to buy the full thing) and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

thanks!!:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

Has there been any mention of fully tracked amphibious landing vehicles? I would really like to create a detailed amphibious assault mission.

http://www.zing.cz/images/thumbnails/bigthumb/5ee1376c-41115.jpg

I see destruction at the top right corner of that picture, lol...

Look at the building with the wooden planks...

Here is a high res version of such kind of building :)

And as kylania said, that is long confirmed and basically already in Arma 2.

But this time the team will take it so far, you can actually spot more dust in old buildings :)

Has there been any mention of fully tracked amphibious landing vehicles? I would really like to create a detailed amphibious assault mission.

Nothing tracked yet but the Patria AMV has amphibious abilities

Edited by PurePassion

I just noticed the guys in this photo are wearing a grey battle uniform which differs from the one the NATO soldiers we saw previously were wearing. (Pilot doesn't have radio on his chest and it's uni-colour).

I just noticed the guys in this photo are wearing a grey battle uniform which differs from the one the NATO soldiers we saw previously were wearing. (Pilot doesn't have radio on his chest and it's uni-colour).

Maybe they are special forces or something?

I'm also trying to figuer out if the pilot is wearing the demon helmet or something else. The cockpit window is distorting the image and for some reason I see a nose,a mouth and what look like an orange tinted visor (which could be the demon visor :p )

that's his forehead :D

btw: the Arma Hell helmet doesn't have a orange visor ;)

I can see the forehead of the guy in the co-pilot seat , but not the pilots. Plus it looks like he has some kind of mascara :p warpaint...