guiltyspark

Ragdolls = In .... Realistic wounds ???

Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence  

695 members have voted

1. 1. Who here wants accurate depiction of battlefeild violence

• I want to full gore
    • i want to see it toned down a bit , but i want dismemberment
    • i dont want realistic wounds

You need a 3D model with predefined areas for detaching parts. You can't just script something that model doesn't support... So, if they didn't have it planned, than their models probably don't have such features.

I think it goes beyond even this. If you wish for amputation of any limb as well as possible multi-amputations, you're looking at making models with one leg missing, the other leg missing, both legs missing, then you start of the arms, then the arms & legs... many many models for each of the soldier models, of which there are possibly hundreds.

You could cheat it a little I guess and have model deformation techniques that "fold" up parts of the geometry into a tiny area inside of itself, that would require only one model but I doubt that's an easy thing to do at this stage, particularly when the decision has already been made not to...

You need a 3D model with predefined areas for detaching parts. You can't just script something that model doesn't support... So, if they didn't have it planned, than their models probably don't have such features.

Yeah I noticed that VBS2 1.5 requires the 'Advanced wounding and amputations' option to be enabled.

http://developer.vbs2.com/manuals/Content/Editor_Manual/Ed_Int_Adv_Amputations.htm

Would it be possible for experienced modder's to acheive the required configurations?

I think it goes beyond even this. If you wish for amputation of any limb as well as possible multi-amputations, you're looking at making models with one leg missing, the other leg missing, both legs missing, then you start of the arms, then the arms & legs... many many models for each of the soldier models, of which there are possibly hundreds.

You could cheat it a little I guess and have model deformation techniques that "fold" up parts of the geometry into a tiny area inside of itself, that would require only one model but I doubt that's an easy thing to do at this stage, particularly when the decision has already been made not to...

Yeah I noticed that VBS2 1.5 requires the 'Advanced wounding and amputations' option to be enabled.

http://developer.vbs2.com/manuals/Content/Editor_Manual/Ed_Int_Adv_Amputations.htm

Would it be possible for experienced modder's to acheive the required configurations?

What DMarkwick siad. I didn't want to go into details, but it's not just enabling some option in the engine, and it's not just cutting your 3D model in pieces, it's a lot of work.

Yes, modders could surely make those, it's just a lot of tedious work. Since animation system is getting improved, maybe it will make the process easier, but still, you would need a lot of animation states. With some blending (hopefully animation system will allow it) you could do pretty amazing things.

Thanks for clarifying Minoza and DMarkwick. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that someone can accomplish a mod.

The team clearly said there will be no dismemberemt in Arma 3 comming from them.

However, Pettka said it should be possible in the engine.

The people of the community who want this will have to do it on their own, which i am convinced of they will.

There is no reason to discuss if or what dismemberment would add to the gameplay or realism, like Pufu said multiple times; if it simply won't be in the game.

You don't have to explain a modder who wants to do this why he should do so.

Point of "I want flying limbs because it's war!!" posts...?

There is no reason to discuss if or what dismemberment would add to the gameplay or realism

If your not interested in discussing the thread topic then why post here?

So hopefully everyone clearly understands that dismemberment is a no go. but moving on to other matters concerning blood and gore.

I think that it would be well worth bis time to make:

wounds on characters are shown in the correct position. where you shoot someone is where the wound appears.

different types of wounds depedning on the weapon used ie. explosions causing burns and lacerations, small arms fire causing small bullet wounds and heavy weapons/ cannons making huge horriffic wounds.

blood effects upon impact - I think it needs to look more realistic - more of a fine mist rather than the big red flame that erupts from people when they are shot. it should also be toned down but should increase in size and intensity depending on the damage dealt. Ie. a m16 shot into someones foot would cause no visible blood upon impact whereas a m108 shot to the head would cause a considerable amount of blood.

blood trails - I think it has been confirmed that these will be included in a3 (correct me if I'm wrong) but please make them look a bit more realistic than ace. ie. lots of smaller blood drops that fall at a faster rate rather than one huge blod blotch every 3 seconds or so.

None of these involve dismemberment so I am hoping they are all still possiblities. In my opinion they all would add to immersion and realism. Of course blood trails also has in game uses for tracking. I think that wounds that are placed in the correct location and with the correct size would also help medics and what not. If you come up to a guy to give him first aid and he has a huge hole in his belly, or a gunshot wound to the head you can assume he is dead and move on.

what do you guys think of the above suggestions? do you have anything to add? do you disagree?

Perfectly agree! :)

Small fixes like re-worked wound textures, blood effects and correcting their positions are the way to go.

On something slightly off topic, Because of the ability to lone wolf, I'm curious as to what injury system if any would be in place for player, does he still lose the ability to walk? Magic medpacks? Self healing

Well first off, I think that people shouldn't lose the ability to walk quite so often. I mean unless a bullet hits the bone directly you should still be able to walk. I think that they should add limping when shot in the leg, and only very rarely are you forced to crawl.

I would hope that there are no "special healing abilities" for lone wolves. but I imagine in the campaign you will be able to make crutches and braces and patch yourself up so you could walk again but still with a limp. Of course this self healing would not be something you are able to do in the middle of a firefight. you would have to gather supplies and even then it would take a fair bit of time to build.

Magic medpacks? Self healing
"special healing abilities"

I much prefer accurate representation of weapon systems effects on the body.

I much prefer accurate representation of weapon systems effects on the body.

I do too. What do you suggest should happen when crippled in the campaign and you are alone?

I do too. What do you suggest should happen when crippled in the campaign and you are alone?

For me personally, if playing solo I would regard a critical injury situation as mission failed.

Fair enough for me. I think the real problem here is the fact that you are able to continue a mission after taking a critical hit. If your hit in the leg bad enough to prevent you from walking your probably not going to be able to fight either, yet in arma you can with almost no negative effects. thus I think that when hit in the leg there should be some middleground between A okay and crippled.

ie.

I mean unless a bullet hits the bone directly you should still be able to walk. I think that they should add limping when shot in the leg

Now assuming that this limping was implemented, do you not think that you should be able to perform some basic first aid to yourself to lessen but not eliminate these effects.

ie.

you will be able to make crutches and braces and patch yourself up so you could walk again but still with a limp. Of course this self healing would not be something you are able to do in the middle of a firefight. you would have to gather supplies and even then it would take a fair bit of time to build.

I don't think that the method I suggested in my previous post for healing one's self is unrealistic. I am wondering where you find fault with it?

I don't think that the method I suggested in my previous post for healing one's self is unrealistic. I am wondering where you find fault with it?

Firstly I would like to point out that I don't have any objection to people wanting to continue a mission after taking a critical hit, what is unsuitable for some may be suitable for others, but for me personally I would prefer a highly realistic simulation of combat wounds. Hemorrhages, broken bones, amputations etc require prompt treatment and evacuation from combat and I would like to an option to simulate this in ARMA 3.

Based on the poll results I'm sure BIS have taken an interest in this topic as realistic wound simulation is obviously very popular with the community.

I don't really care to be honest.

Optional - low/medium/full should be the way to go though

I was pondering this issue today during a quiet moment. Perhaps separating the avatar's state into the four priority categories medics get taught:

1. Loss of life/limb imminent, immediate attention.

2. Loss of life/limb likely, attention < 30 mins.

3. Loss of life/limb unlikely, "walking wounded."

4. Expectant (black tag).

The higher priority levels take longer to stabilise/heal, meaning the medic is out of play for longer. I don't think treatment should take over 60 seconds, though, that's probably stretching most people's patience in a gaming environment.

Just a thought. I think this could be a decent middle ground between insaneo tracheotomy field surgery and magic heal bag.

Full gore:

Pros: more realistic for that true "milsim" feel, Medics can run a triage assessment more quickly (the guy with no limbs is probably going to be dead.), If you call in arty, you can assess the damage easier, provides a "shock" factor especially in a PVP situation where your teammate just torn to shreds, in theory you should be able to determine direction of enemy fire (assuming directional hits are being used), could lead to a very interesting medic system.

Cons: might cause multiplayer lag issues, probably cause client-side processing speed to drop, although having a quick options setting to change the level of gore some people just prefer to keep it more "game" like, Having it as a setting might cause conflicts with other peoples settings (where the ragdoll lands might cause conflict online, although this is a problem with online gaming and ragdolls in general)

That's my two cents at any rate.

Add in all the gore and dismemberment you want, so long as it can be selected by the player, and have a 'non-gore' version to sell in countries that ban high violence games.

I know its not all together productive to compare to other games and engines but I thought that some of claims being made about Max Payne 3 would interest those following the thread.

Particularly at 2.45

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/max-payne-3/723955

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

There should be an option to tone it down. Full Gore, Toned Down, No Gore. I would like to see realistic wounds and limping and stuff like that, AFAIK there is no game that depicts that.

VBS2.

Notice how terrain is affected by explosions.

Exactly what I'd like to see in AIII. That's how war should look. I hope that the addon that does that (it seems that there's pretty firm evidence that it won't be in vanilla) will appear quickly and that SP campaign will be playable with it.