Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

I'm very glad there is better physics but have to say that the video showing the car crashing into the crates is not that impressive. They look too light and bouncy.

I hope thats just down to parameters...

They were pretty clear that the footage released so far was 'WIP" (AKA Alpha).

Yeah, thats what I was thinking/hoping.

Gotta get back to working on my time machine... ;)

I don't see a huge benefit with GPU accelerated physics anyway. Because then the GPU has less processing power to spend on graphics. So it's really a case of which component you want to put the strain on.

I think PhysX was intentionality (or due to poor programming) made to perform poorly when run on the CPU, because Havok and others apparently are more efficient. Hopefully that has been addressed, BangTail's post indicates it has.

Personally I tend to go for AMD hardware because of value for money. Don't care for Nvidia's GPU PhysX, it has only been used as a gimmick and will stay that way as developers wont waste too much time on a feature that only benefits a tiny portion of their customers. They want gameplay to be the same for all customers after all.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking/hoping.

Gotta get back to working on my time machine... ;)

Be careful to avoid that terminator timeline, let us know if you meet Dr. Emmett :)

I don't see a huge benefit with GPU accelerated physics anyway. Because then the GPU has less processing power to spend on graphics. So it's really a case of which component you want to put the strain on.

I think PhysX was intentionality (or due to poor programming) made to perform poorly when run on the CPU, because Havok and others apparently are more efficient. Hopefully that has been addressed, BangTail's post indicates it has.

Personally I tend to go for AMD hardware because of value for money. Don't care for Nvidia's GPU PhysX, it has only been used as a gimmick and will stay that way as developers wont waste too much time on a feature that only benefits a tiny portion of their customers. They want gameplay to be the same for all customers after all.

Very few games have ever taken effective advantage of the GPU accelerated PhysX.

There are a couple that make very good use of it but I still dont think that will be an issue vis a vis ArmA 3.

Edited by BangTail

I believe there's a way to use one card for graphics, and another (lesser) card for PhysX.

You are correct.

If you are using 2 or more cards you can also dedicate one of them entirely to PhysX.

Be careful to avoid that terminator timeline, let us know if you meet Dr. Emmett :)

When this graphics card hits 588 degrees Fahrenheit... You're gonna see some serious shit!

When this graphics card hits 588 degrees Fahrenheit... You're gonna see some serious shit!

I hope PhysX implimentation allows BIS to create Flux Capacitors so we can travel through time in ArmA. Then we just need to get one of the artists to model a DeLorean. :cool:

I believe there's a way to use one card for graphics, and another (lesser) card for PhysX.

it's called CUDA. Basically a poor man's SLI where you use the second card as a dedicated PPU (oddly enough like Aegia's original hardware PhysX)

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

I hope PhysX implimentation allows BIS to create Flux Capacitors so we can travel through time in ArmA. Then we just need to get one of the artists to model a DeLorean. :cool:

I want to see BIS do a miniature scale model of a time travel experiment ending with the car catching on fire and Ivan going :butbut: racing for a fire extinguisher.

I want to see BIS do a miniature scale model of a time travel experiment ending with the car catching on fire and Ivan going :butbut: racing for a fire extinguisher.

great_scott_400.png

I admit I was sceptic about ragdoll physics, but what I see from the Alpha version of Arma 3 in the E3... well... I liked it, yeah!

Edited by SpetS15
just a misspell correction

Ragdoll physics will have an enormous effect on game immersion. The brain constructs reality by sensory reception so if it looks real it feels real, the visuals will really help pull the player into the game.

Personally i started enjoying Ragdoll when RavenShield was out. It changed the way the terrorists dropped to the ground in such a believeable way, it was amazing. And that was 2003!

It's really needed in ArmA.

)rStrangelove;1952512']Personally i started enjoying Ragdoll when RavenShield was out. It changed the way the terrorists dropped to the ground in such a believeable way' date=' it was amazing. And that was 2003!

It's really needed in ArmA.[/quote']

It certainly made making the headshots look farking awesome. Dropped like a sack o' excrement.

I'm sure we'll see some epic ArmA 3 ragdoll death montages posted on Youtube, I know I'll be posting one.

It certainly made making the headshots look farking awesome. Dropped like a sack o' excrement.

Amen! Raven Shield was awesome in really every aspect of the game

Amen! Raven Shield was awesome in really every aspect of the game

I only had the demo... but I probably played 30 hours.

It was a strange strange time for me :rolleyes:

I just hope Physx is used as a complimentary feature which you can completely turn off and bear no influence whatsoever gameplay-wise, or that it may be CPU-bound like so many other tittles out there.

They sure won't see my money next year if I need to buy a brand new video card just so particles fly prettier and people collapse more aesthetically when they are shot in the head. :cool:

I just hope Physx is used as a complimentary feature which you can completely turn off and bear no influence whatsoever gameplay-wise, or that it may be CPU-bound like so many other tittles out there.

They sure won't see my money next year if I need to buy a brand new video card just so particles fly prettier and people collapse more aesthetically when they are shot in the head. :cool:

Its nonsense to think bis would restrict the market to single brand video card, of course it would be CPU bound. But I do hope they add further optional hardware accelerated physx effects. :bounce3:

Every page we explain that this will not involve you buying Nvidia (or a new video card) and each consecutive page someone (who obviously hasn't bothered to read even 3 pages back) makes the same completely irrelevant comments.

Every page we explain that this will not involve you buying Nvidia (or a new video card) and each consecutive page someone (who obviously hasn't bothered to read even 3 pages back) makes the same completely irrelevant comments.

Yep, this thread is Groundhog Day.