Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

But what about an ASCII image with a ball breaking a wall? You can't just add physics into a game where they don't exist in a simple patch/expansion....

thats why i said to drastic changes so it will most likely be an announcement to something new outside ArmA2, with a free patch for the current content for amra or something.

kind regards

thats why i said to drastic changes so it will most likely be an announcement to something new outside ArmA2, with a free patch for the current content for amra or something.

kind regards

this is probably what they said "the world will change"...

are they thinking on arma world...?

But what about an ASCII image with a ball breaking a wall? You can't just add physics into a game where they don't exist in a simple patch/expansion....

why not? They added thermal vision to the engine with arrowhead... :)

Whole new engine? Or a port to VBS?

I know next to nothing about VBS and whether it would be a step forward in terms of ArmA gameplay though.

I’m still not convinced this ARG is about a new engine though. Sure, “the world will change†but that could be equally applicable to a new “islandâ€, or just part of the new plotline.

We have an old map. We have references to Persia, Greece (and at least one connection to China). We have this possibly SBS dude Miller and ASTUTE (along with a join-the-dot picture of a sub). So far, so “spec ops campaign†ArmA.

The only thing I’m puzzled about is this animated gif of a ball smashing through a wall. I half-jokingly suggested it was a representation of the Persians smashing through the Greek wall at Thermopylae long ago. That doesn’t really satisfy though – so I’m prepared to keep the door slightly ajar as far as a new game engine goes, if only based on that one bit of evidence. That, and the fact that there’s a lot of work gone into this on BIS’s part, more work than you’d reasonably expect if this was just a bit of DLC or a new campaign.

So... new game content. Tick. New game engine? Possibly...

We have a lot of speculations here, theory's about whether it is a Announcement for ArmA3 or not.

As far as the speculations goes we also got hints that are pointing out to various aspects of a possible new content, whether it is DLC or just a update with free content or even the Announcement of ArmA3 is at this point not clear. I strongly WANT to believe at this point that it will be a total new game, like already stated before by others.

The reason why i have this strong believes? The tips are pointing out to what i think is to drastical engine changes on the entire game, they might have the possible resources to update the current engine but then again why do that when you can bring something different and better when starting from ground zero? Bis brought us so far GREAT content but we need to be honnest that the Arma2 also chares a various lot of buggers, the good part on having bugs is they have learned much from their previous engine and will do better on the next one. I am still speclative " thats the only thing i can do " at this point, never the less what i think is that bis will bring us a larger update of the Current ArmA2 and iron out the bugs that they still have, they will keep working on the current content to improve it to a surtain dagree and they might even pore in free content as a treat for 10 years support of the bis community.

In the mean while they will announce there new Project ArmA3 (SPECULATIVE) with the new possibilities that the new engine

will provide in the near future.

Why do i think this? plain and simple the tips point out towards too drastic changes, the resent use of the engine in a other game devoloper besides of ArmA2 (BIS). So far is did not saw any game that used the futures of the ArmA2 engine in other games ( i might be wrong here doh ) but bis was very protective towards this engine and if i was on the same spot i would have don the same. They might sold or coorperate with that game devoloper to use ArmA2 engine or even get a persentage on the sold items of that game they are making now.

The tips also point out towards an entire new theatre and play ground to start from, although al this is again still speculation and dream talk till we know what is realy going on.

But i might very close to the truth :D

Kind regards

After reading the report on future VBS2 additions I would agree with you, could be that VBS3 and A3 are going to be the same entity, would save BIS a lot of hassle in the long run and would mean a more polished product for both gamers and military alike.

In the report they already stated that they produced turnkey systems (to non systems people that means they supply the whole package including software and machinery etc) so there is still revenue to be made over and above the game as far as the military are concerned.

In this report/brochure they already stated about making RV3 available to naval customers to increase fidelity over the nautical simulation, or porting RV3 aspects back into VBS2 to get the same effect.

There was also heavy speculation of PhysX being used to help simulate ship damage and critical failures and sinking etc.

This paper was published around six months ago, they may have decided to throw their lot in with a new engine/upgraded RV3 to keep their military and non military customers happy.

It would make good business sense to combine the 2 engines, they are already pretty much one and the same anyway, so all their resources focus on the one superiour product.

This was the brochure posted by Mankle a loooooooong way back in the the thread, take the time to read it.

link to the paper: http://distribution.bisimulations.com/docs/VBS2_Maritime_Discussion_Paper.pdf

/wall of text.

this is probably what they said "the world will change"...

are they thinking on arma world...?

I don't think they will change the course of realism only improve it on various aspects where probably the current engine is a little to weak or hard to go around it and fix it.

I point out then towards idd PhysX, i think we have a forum on this kind of advices what the community likes to see or wants to see improved to the current game. They might implement a lot of improvements to the new engine and add new futures to it to make the realism overal better then it already is.

The world is something else i think they refer here more towards the enviorment we will play this time. Overal we always had the western countries domminating they might start this part from i other direction.

Kind regards

Edited by KBourne
Gramma correction

I would agree with you, could be that VBS3 and A3 are going to be the same entity

I don't think so. If arma3 == vbs3, why the armies should spent their money on vbs2? This will be a financial suicide for BIS:

why the armies should spent their money on vbs2? This will be a financial suicide for BIS:

I think i need to aggree on this one too, the thing i would see more is that they upgrade VBS2 or even a reworked newer engine for the product already sold. And that Arma3 will be more a combined engine of the newer engine and simmilar aspects of VBS2 or directly imports im not sure ofcourse.

Edited by KBourne

dont know if someone posted already, but were'n't the Malden islands based off greek islands?

I don't think so. If arma3 == vbs3, why the armies should spent their money on vbs2? This will be a financial suicide for BIS:

Not really, if it was backwards compatible. ;)

Even more of an incentive to use it then.

So all this kicks off on BIS's ANN Channel...

Anyone else think this is a mystical way of telling us they are going to release Game 2.

But thats just a stab in the dark....:j:

why not? They added thermal vision to the engine with arrowhead... :)

Yes, but thermal vision is just a fancy overlay, Physics requires a complete engine overhaul to incorporate the fact that every single object in its world is dynamic in some form. When you factor in the possible inclusion of destruction, it multiplies the amount of work massively.

Anyone else think this is a mystical way of telling us they are going to release Game 2.

You might want to read 377 pages to conclude that :D lolz

Yea, thermal got added technically to minecraft guns mod. so its not hard LOL

I think Game 2 WAS ArmA 2. So this would be a continuation of that.

Not really, if it was backwards compatible. ;)

Even more of an incentive to use it then.

Don't agree :)

vbs2 offers much more content to the army, modules like, for example, aar or vbs2fires, and more features (take a look at youtube video) than armed assault and even arma2. And the price of each license is much more expensive than arma2, obviously.

Now imagine that bis offers exactly the same product to the armies, but vbs3 costs 300% more than arma3. ¿Why they should buy it instead of buying arma3? BIS needs to offer something on vbs3 that arma3 didn't have and never will have. In other case they will loose a big part of their income. And i'm 100% sure that arma3 will not have the same capabilities of vbs3.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

I think Game 2 WAS ArmA 2. So this would be a continuation of that.

No. Long time ago Maruk give an interview to maybe pcgamer, can't remeber, talking about game 2, and it was much more advanced than arma 2, it covers all the aspects of war, including sea, bigger maps, etc..

vbs2 offers much more content to the army, modules like, for example, aar or vbs2fires, and more features (take a look at youtube video) than armed assault and even arma2. And the price of each license is much more expensive than arma2, obviously.

Now imagine that bis offers exactly the same product to the armies, but vbs3 costs 300% more than arma3. ¿Why they should buy it instead of buying arma3? BIS needs to offer something on vbs3 that arma3 didn't have and never will have. In other case they will loose a big part of their income. And i'm 100% sure that arma3 will not have the same capabilities of vbs3.

Did you not read the part I talked about turnkey systems, that is where the real money is made. The whole package and not just the software part. I build turnkey systems myself and know how it works, just not in a military capacity.

Also with industrial software there are licenses that are modular, which allow more features at a price, the gamer gets basic edition and then the industrial customers get further options modules at a price (these could also be available to enthusiasts who have the income also), so again no revenue is lost.

This was the brochure posted by Mankle a loooooooong way back in the the thread, take the time to read it.

link to the paper: http://distribution.bisimulations.com/docs/VBS2_Maritime_Discussion_Paper.pdf

/wall of text.

after reading it(skiped some content) you can see they have some plans for adding physix and better animations, and lot more.(thats for VBS, but hey, they could easiliy implement some of these features in arma2)

i sugest go fast read :)

EDIT: i went in find text and wondering what will i find, so here is : | search -physics=(result) PhysX is a physics engine developed by Nvidia that is being integrated into VBS2

Edited by MarkoCRO

True and good point, thats why i think they will launch a new engine for arma 3 with some VBS possibilities but still different then the original VBS2, i have a simmular feeling that they would lose a big pay cut if they would release 2 products with the same possibilities for 2 different parties.

VBS had always more than the games (OFP/ARMA/ARMA2) Launch a missile is not the same as pulling a trigger...Try DCS A-10 ;) .

The point is that a major graphic update, for both, is an excuse to BIS to get more cash (from both us and Gov's.) .

BTW the license is not the only income for VBS....service, training, customization etc etc etc.....

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

No. Long time ago Maruk give an interview to maybe pcgamer, can't remeber, talking about game 2, and it was much more advanced than arma 2, it covers all the aspects of war, including sea, bigger maps, etc..

Because of licensing. Sure BIS would need to provide some things in VBS that are not available in ArmA to keep the deal sweet but the main justification for any Software that has different pricing for different customers is the licence it requires.

Any software that is provided for a commercial business or government is practically guaranteed to carry a much higher price and that's just the accepted norm. It would be illegal for and government or military to use ArmA to train its troops.

Any software that is provided for a commercial business or government is practically guaranteed to carry a much higher price and that's just the accepted norm. It would be illegal for and government or military to use ArmA to train its troops.

And that is what it is all about, the licensing.

Think the free version of Word and the one a company has to pay for, pretty much the same shit but with bells and whistles on.

I want to add that physx is not new feature in vbs2 , it has been implemented as prototype in 2008 http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5527185/VBS2_Humvee_umkippen

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5527428/VBS2_Humvee_aufladen

http://vbs2.com/docs/Readme_VBS2_1_22.txt

edit: direct link to PC Gamer's article about game2 http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics2/pcGameraug04.jpg

Edited by BoboCZ