Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

@Sliceyslice - fair enough, I mean it is fictional.

@BigSlongsDaddy - yeah, that doesn't explain the Greece/Persian or the rest of the clues. ...MadDogX got it.

Yes, of course it makes perfect sense to have one small treasure hunt before the announcement of ToH, and then - a month later - make a huge hubbub with an ARG that contains references to submarines, the british SBS, warfare, Iran, China, greek islands etc. all for an upcoming game that

A: has already been announced

B: is ~90% about civilian, non-military helicopters

C: doesn't have anything to do with Iran

D: let alone Submarines or the SBS!

Oh yes, I can see it now, the pigs are FLYING!

Aptly put! ;)

My take on all of this.

I think the helicopter might be a WZ10. I can't be sure however and I will be happy with whatever we get most likely.

The image is REAL. If I am wrong on that I will be amazed but I am nearly positive it is real and not ingame.

The helicopters are mos likely edited into the image. If you were at a military exercise and were taking pictures, would you take a wide angle shot that is mostly field, or focus on one of the helicopters?

This group of hacker is very bad ! I think that the comunity of Armaholic must attack them and destroy their computer ! These are a big problem and need eliminated them !

This group of hacker is very bad ! I think that the comunity of Armaholic must attack them and destroy their computer ! These are a big problem and need eliminated them !

wtf..?

I'm afraid I don't have anything of major significance to contribute... just wanted to say you guys have really done well with this whole "game" and it's made for enormously entertaining reading!

Well done to all of you who've been so enthusiastic and obviously had so much fun figuring all this stuff out... I'm sure BIS will be pleased too...

Just a few passing thoughts from a terrain perspective...

Someone mentioned "Proving Grounds" as being a "semi-experimental" terrain? - it was... considerably reduced ground cell size, as someone pointed out, makes for much more detailed small-scale "bumpiness" at the inevitable expense of smaller terrains...

(you can only have so many ground cells in total or the engine canny take it Cptn...)

However there's a new technique which may or may not have been mentioned yet (I haven't read every post!)...

Tesselated landscapes...

Here's an ATI based clip on

It's not an ATI or NVIDIA exclusive thing as far as I'm aware, and basically it works by using very few "ground cells" where theres not much happening, and lots where detail is required...

It's not dynamic in the sense the cells are generated on-the-fly, but at design-time it's much more like a modelling "mesh" than our current "fixed chessboard"...

Tesselation in itself would "Change The World" you see in Arma...

Adopting DirectX11 as standard combined with tesselated landscapes would make for a pretty massive engine change...

Just my 2 cents worth...

As you were, gentlemen...

B

Yes, but then again, DX11 only is out of the question for any game developer out there. Reason: harware

Having it as option, that's another issue...

Tesselation could be easily used for all game content, not only terrain.

After Much Debating i think its a British Future Lynx if not that definitly a mi28... haters gona hate am just saying...

Unknown Helo

Maybe the 'Hackers' can clarify something or post a highres shot somewhere becuase this is going to drive people insane already casuing issues :(

Until now, I've always assumed the helicopter was orientated so that it's tail, to the left is further away from the camera than the nose, ie, it's flying left to right and towards the camera.

I'm now thinking perhaps it's actually flying away. Also, it clearly has coaxial rotors. I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise.

The helicopter is banking left. I believe the part sticking down towards the nose is actually the left winglet showing.

The helicopter is banking left. I believe the part sticking down towards the nose is actually the left winglet showing.

Yeah its gona be a Kamov :yay:

I appear to have lost a link to the picture, but I remember there was a second helicopter in the photo, was it of the same type?

Ah, that's why the tail fin looks more sloped to the horizontal. And what looks like a chin turret (ala Mi28) is a port wing pylon. It's a Ka-50, of course it is.

Edited by Tankbuster

That is an Mi-28...looks like a hampster...look at its "cheeks"...its flying left to right, and noseing forwrd...not a coaxial,your seeing the other side of the rotor sweep with a radar orb in the middle.Just my opinion,but I'd bet on it.

That is an Mi-28...looks like a hampster...look at its "cheeks"...its flying left to right, and noseing forwrd...not a coaxial,your seeing the other side of the rotor sweep with a radar orb in the middle.Just my opinion,but I'd bet on it.

That's my bet too, it explains the swept back tail fin. Still odd though.

EDIT: Actually I definitely wouldn't bet on it. :p

Not sure if this would be of any significance but there is also a Greek frigate that goes by the title of Limnos.

I spent a while typing up a long detailed post as to why I believe it is a Kamov, but decided to delete it.

Debating on what type of helicopter it is, is pretty irrelevant. Still need to try to piece all these clues together.

For those that are just joining this mess i have some advice for you...

WzY17CzM68w

:o

I had a go at enlarging the helo- didn't come out great but here it is

enlargedhelo.jpg

And the Tunguska (even worse quality)

t1ek.th.jpg

Edited by SW1

BIS, next time you release an image, please make sure the original resolution was at least 2560x2048 and that you clearly label everything in the picture, preferably with a key.

Thanks.