Sign in to follow this  
David Schofield

What's the overall best rifle for the AI in Arma II?

I would definitely go with a Mk17 variant for the usual single hit kills, VSS (a lot of folk don't like it for some reason) or Silenced Mk17 sniper are great in warfare as you can pretty much wipe out a whole town single handed and not get caught. The Sa-58s are decent guns too, as well as a lot of the AK variants.

Really i find that the AI find it difficult to manage the recoil on the mk17, but like yourself i do find when i say

"2 pickup that weapon (Mk17) at ammo box 12 o'clock"

I get the reply

"negative"

:cool:

Lol

dunno how but i totally missed this 'FOR AI' on the OP.

Soooo, i'd say with an M240 / PK the AI is pretty dangerous from what i can remember.

FN FAL (iron) ,SBR Aimpoint and G36 A Camo my beloved ones :)

Well i distinctly remember the AI being horrible with the Fal, so i dont know where you got that from . . .

Or maybe you just cant fucking read : )

I like to give the AI a nice combo of M249s/M240s/PKs and Sniper rifles. Along with some normal m16s/m4s thrown in also. :)

the trowing knives...oh soz, you meant rifle...

For the AI? It really depends on the unit composition.

concept

AI armed with light assault rifles will engage targets quicker. AI armed with heavier weapons (like machineguns) will usually engage targets out to further distances, but take a longer time to get in place.

theory

Any Assault Rifle will do. The AI has an upper effective engagement envelope at around 230m. Any time you give your AI Grenade Launchers or Rocket Launchers you slow down their effective engagement time-- as they waste valuable time switching weapons or missing with the Grenade Launcher. As such the most important characteristic of your weapon is that ammunition is plentiful!

practice

As a squad leader your job is to spot/find the enemy using binoculars or weapon mounted optic. Do this successfully and a VERY potent unit composition is 1 MG and a number (say 4-5) riflemen on the flanks. Throw in a RPG/SMAW/MAAWS/NLAW if expecting vehicles. Any armed vehicle should be considered a valid target for your RPG soldiers!

An MG will with good positioning and yourself spotting be able to take down static targets out to 800m. Your Riflemen will spread out on the flanks and provide close-in protection for your unit.

Units armed with nothing but sniper rifles or MGs are deluding themselves. They may be somewhat effective on the defense or in ambush-- but the moment you need to assault a position, or deal with an unexpected development every split-second is valuable.

In short

- Light weapons are faster to acquire targets

- AT and GL weapons confuse the AI

- Squad leader should spot (call in) targets for his heavy weapons

- Plentiful ammunition is more important than caliber or delivery platform.

-k

L85A2 ACOG GL

I'm currently testing every Rifle in Comb Ops 1.57, this is a nice little all-singing/all-dancing rifle used by BAF, and I daresay other nations have similar weapons which i'll come across in due course.

It's got-Telescopic daylight scope, Laser, Gren launcher, Semi or auto fire.

However its scope lacks night vision so you have to use 3rd-person NVG's over the shoulder

It's short and stumpy-

AA-L81.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Incidentally notice the Ammo crates lying around in some of the above Editor pics, I rummaged through each one and tried the rifles.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

For example these are the rifles in the BAF crate

AA-rifsBAFbasic-wps.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Came to this thread expecting to find answers on how to equip my AIs.

I feel your pain, some people just cant read.

Maybe il help them by posting it

Well, I'm playing one of the user-made missions (without the addons and stuff) and I'm really stuck behind what guns I should arm my soldiers with. I mean, there's plenty of choices, like, every one of the 'Western' guns in the game, (Even the G36c and XM8's and stuff) but I need to decide which guns are superior to the rest. Overall, how would the top 5 guns play out?

The purpose isn't really anything specific except to be described as a low-casualty and long-term mission at all ranges, mostly mid to long range.

I'd like to figure out which guns in AI hands would be able to do the most damage. Things like "Does the DMR beat the m107?" and "Which is Better? G36a or M8 Carbine?"

Hi all

Thread title:

Some people do not need some one to manufacture an April fools joke for them. They can do it to them selves, all on their own.

To the OP's question:

It depends where they are fighting and what side they are on same as people really, which is as it should be.

In CQB an assault rifle with an open sight, silenced weapons work well.Long barrels take longer to turn.

Out in the open or firing down a long road an MG or crew served weapon.

Sights increase engagement ranges.

To get better engagement ranges I suggest using the Zeus AI mod. and are particularly effective with RPGs and grenade launchers. Long range suppression by MGs and Crew Served Weapons, also works better with Zeus AI.

Kind Regards walker

NkEnNy has some good tips further up on this page.

EDIT:

Of course there had to be a new page for my post just because I wrote that... it's on the last page.

Edited by Johan S

I don't think the AI suffers in CQB with a scope. So just give them something with an RCO, Acog or PSO to extend engagement ranges.

The AI doesn't put too many rounds downrange and doesn't handle recoil well. So they may not be hitting very hard with 5.56 or 5.45 at longer ranges. On the other hand, they will waste a lot of rounds with automatic fire. So higher-skill units with semiautomatic 7.62 weapons will be most efficient and lethal. The DMR is beast in anyone's hands.

It depends how accurate the AI is and where they fight. If they're accurate and in open areas, they'll do best with a heavy caliber rifle or grenade launcher. A skilled AI sniper is a killing machine.

e.g. SVD, M203, M107, etc.

If they're fighting at close ranges or innaccurate, they'll do best with automatic weapons. They tend to suffer with weapons that need to be fired while prone.

e.g. Any decent assault rifle, SAW, RPK, etc.

Edited by Daniel

the Enfield is quite lethal in AI's hands as well. When you hear one being fired at you you better kill the culprit quick.

the Enfield is quite lethal in AI's hands as well. When you hear one being fired at you you better kill the culprit quick.

THIS.

It's ALWAYS the Enfield guys sniping me. I consider myself lucky if I hear the shot but if he misses you need to get him quick smart as they generally don't miss that often.:eek:

I just finished the Joint Operations campaign on Expert. It features BAF against Takis. I must say AI sucks pretty much with any British weapon. Althou enemy gave me a headshot with FN FAL. And that happend many times. I took AS50 most of the missions. And many times while laying on the roof switching between binoculars and the weapon to adjust zeroing, enemy AI shot me right into the eye. From standing position! And this is not some random occasion. It happend all the time. Second to FAL comes AK. Then PK because AI floods you with bullets. SVDs were pretty useless. AI could use the whole mag while me standing still and scanning horizon for that rookie sniper. Honestly, when I heard FAL shooting I wanted to cry because I knew that my dull AI team will be dead in few moments.

void_false,

Tweak enemy accuracy down and turn up your team mate's skill and accuracy. It sounds like cheating but it's for your own enjoyment at the end of the day. Your professional troops should in theory be more competent than your untrained/conscripted adversaries.

I a big fan of the M16M203, iron sights

There's something about the sights where the sight post doesn't go up to meet the impact point of the bullet, but I've racked up hundreds of kills with an easy accuracy I don't find on other guns, with low recoil from the 556

And of course the M203

Love M16 + GL with ironsights, or the AL-101 ironsights, their my fav children.

edit, same post at same davP hehe

I a big fan of the M16M203, iron sights
Love M16 + GL with ironsights, or the AL-101 ironsights, their my fav children.

I don't quite understand. That's what your AI said to you or what?

Daniel,

Won't that break the balance? Back in OFP days, skill was one of the most important factors in AI vs AI fights.