Sign in to follow this  
Baz

rolling wheels on helicopters so you can taxi

BIS can we please have the ability to taxi with helicopters that have wheels???

I have wanted this since OFP Make a CIT report and I'll give a vote to this.

I wonder why they don't/can't, has any User created chopper ever allowed you to do this?

Definitely something I'd like to see. Makes runways a lot more useful.

Edited by CMB Unit 01

I have wanted this since OFP Make a CIT report and I'll give a vote to this.

I wonder why they don't/can't, has any User created chopper ever allowed you to do this?

I guess because there's no way to alter the direction of the rotor thrust without moving the aircraft like there is in real life. Also, because it would necessitate the use of a brake button in case you land on a slope. Also, the idea doesn't really contribute that much to the gameplay so it's probably seen as very low priority. All it does is let the occasional player taxi a helicopter. I don't think a majority of players would even use such a feature, but would find their helicopters rolling around on slopes quite irritating.

Fund it. Like Max said, there would definitely need to be a "brake" option.

I would like to point out that most helicopters have their main rotor-hub sloped forward slightly. You can see it in ArmA even, however it doesn't matter in the slightest with Vanilla aircraft. (even though the blades are angled forward thrust goes straight down in relation to the airframe) You can see in the second video, when the Jayhawk was hovering, how the rear gear was MUCH lower than the front.

Some addon makers, like RKSL, have the thrust effect perpendicular to the blades, not how the airframe sits on the ground. (So when you take off in the puma you have to nose up to avoid drifting forward.) The OA UH-60M accounts for this angle on the artificial horizon, but beyond that nothing. In order for this taxi request to work, this would have to be implemented.

P.s. The OA blackhawk doesn't have working landing gear or horizontal stabilizer. :butbut:

I don't think you would need a brake. You could just have the same resistance you have now except when you push forward on the Cyclic it would allow the chopper to move/roll forward. Also, I don't think choppers would make use of a wheel brake for landing on slopped terrain, I think they would avoid that at all costs. They will hover and even rest a wheel on the ground near slopped terrain, but never try to fully land on it. (edit - actually, just like that Chinook in your sig b00ce)

Anyway, it's not a exactly a show stopper of a problem, so yeah it's probably just best to wait for a full physics over haul for helos in the future.

Edited by -=seany=-

When you land on any slope, you do it parallel to the face. You set the up-slope gear down first, then lower the other side slowly. To take off, do the opposite. It should be a non-issue, but I think that brakes need to be there even still. Especially on planes.

well, one possible solution would be to just have this "taxi" effect when the nose is pushed forward in addition to the thrust being no higher than "maintaining a hover while on the ground"... IE, just enough thrust that you don't lift up into the air.

Currently if you do this and you give around 50 percent power... You just nose forward without any movement and your tail raises up to the air. You would just need the forward momentum to actually start to taxi on the ground.

The problem is in the game, the heli is either on the ground at low power or half power, or starting to go up in the air at different rates.

The power can be seen on the ground by the change in the amount of dust and the grass beginning to fall over. So why not be able to move the aircraft forward too.

Then animated and configed nose and tail wheels would also need to be implemented for helicopters

Such a scheme would make it so that if you were trying to land on or take off on a slope and you pushed forward on the stick to level the helicopter, the wheel brakes would come off and you would start rolling back.

That would enhance landing at higher speeds than 30/40 kph without killing the chopper, not a bad idea.. Brakes wouldnt probably be necessary, but they could be assigned to the x key maybe. Brakes would actually be helpful starting an SU-25 on a field or somewhere out in the open... Taxi->Stop, hit the brakes->Thrust to max->Release the brakes->Run and lift off

Such a scheme would make it so that if you were trying to land on or take off on a slope and you pushed forward on the stick to level the helicopter, the wheel brakes would come off and you would start rolling back.

If you landed on the hill properly in the first place, it would be a non-issue.

slopeland.gif

slopetakeoff.gif

;)

If you landed on the hill properly in the first place, it would be a non-issue.

[imghttp://www.dynamicflight.com/flight_maneuvers/slopes/slopeland.gif[/img]

[imghttp://www.dynamicflight.com/flight_maneuvers/slopes/slopetakeoff.gif[/img]

;)

All hills are not so perfect, and you can't actually change the vector of the rotor thrust like that in ArmA. ArmA is not real life, and that picture isn't the full story.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL1Z8LcgYqDrjTEtXCzv2J2iQMNOQ6S9xNaCsEOoWZLq0KZpoM&t=1image436.jpg

Even at less than 8 degrees, without brakes, helicopters will roll and roll faster and faster in ArmA.

Edited by Max Power

While the problems that people have expressed are valid, this would be an awesome addition. I realize that arma is primarily an infantry simulator, but the thing that I like most about it is the ambitious attempt to synergize men, ground vehicles and aircraft in as realistic a way as possible.. an improved flight model in general would be a badass addition for OA, a patch, or arma 3.

All hills are not so perfect, and you can't actually change the vector of the rotor thrust like that in ArmA. ArmA is not real life, and that picture isn't the full story.

My pictures merely demonstrate the concept, you're getting into the technical stuff. Even without the thrust angle changing, the side slope method works. And if you're landed across the slope properly, you will not roll; which is the whole point of the skill.

Yes, I realize the angle of thrust doesn't change in ArmA, however, I'm not talking about changing it dynamically. Save for instance, the Kiowa Warrior has its main rotor-mast tilted forward 5 degrees while resting. If a Kiowa was configured correctly in ArmA, the pilot would have to nose up slightly to avoid drifting forward on takeoff. With working wheels this could be utilized, in say a Blackhawk or Chinook, to make forward movement, without having to resort to some funky maneuvers.

My pictures merely demonstrate the concept, you're getting into the technical stuff. Even without the thrust angle changing, the side slope method works. And if you're landed across the slope properly, you will not roll; which is the whole point of the skill.

Yes, I realize the angle of thrust doesn't change in ArmA, however, I'm not talking about changing it dynamically. Save for instance, the Kiowa Warrior has its main rotor-mast tilted forward 5 degrees while resting. If a Kiowa was configured correctly in ArmA, the pilot would have to nose up slightly to avoid drifting forward on takeoff. With working wheels this could be utilized, in say a Blackhawk or Chinook, to make forward movement, without having to resort to some funky maneuvers.

No, you said 'if you landed on the hill properly, it would be a non-issue'. It requires FACs to land on hills properly, especially the ones in ArmA that have attenuated dips and micro terrain. There's nothing more technical about that argument than what you originally posted.

It would be awesome to have rolling take offs for Apaches. Here's hoping fuel, payload and altitude might one day factor in too.

It would be awesome to have rolling take offs for Apaches. Here's hoping fuel, payload and altitude might one day factor in too.

And hopefully translational lift, ground effect and maybe vortex rings... :y:

I wouldn't like rolling wheels on helicopters. It's too much hassle for what you get.

For one thing, you would have problems landing on a sloped surface, and it would make the type of high-speed approaches that I like to do much more difficult.

Also, it would make crash-landing without a tail rotor even more of a mess than it already is. I don't want to think about my helicopter still doing a death spiral around the airstrip even after I've landed it.

Too little bang for your buck, in my opinion.

Yeah, it seems a bit nonsense to put all this stuff in when it only really enables you to trundle around the tarmac.

Dorph;1886097']AutoHoover on = wheelbrakes on

AutoHoover off = wheelbrakes off

Win.

This would be great for warfare etc so that a spawned heli could be set to on.

Anyone who has bought a Hind-D only to have to ensue in a Benny Hill style chase to get in it will know what I am on about.

Also, because it would necessitate the use of a brake button in case you land on a slope. Also, the idea doesn't really contribute that much to the gameplay so it's probably seen as very low priority. All it does is let the occasional player taxi a helicopter. I don't think a majority of players would even use such a feature, but would find their helicopters rolling around on slopes quite irritating.

Have you ever gone littlebird skiing? Helicopters (particularly light ones) already roll around on slopes... I've shot a hind down, it landed at the top of a hill, miraculously did not blow up and, it then skidded down the hill (some-what slowly, all the while the bugger was lighting everything up with its autocannon!

Well, since BIS decided to develop a Heli Sim based on RV engine, i think asking for better heli simulation implemented in A2 isn't asked really too much.