Sign in to follow this  
Baz

rolling wheels on helicopters so you can taxi

If you life the rear end up slighty and keep it to the ground you can somewhat taxi it across shot spaces like you have in these videos. Its not ideal but I've been doing it for sometime with success.

Also littlebirds can skid if you get the balance of speed and power correct on landing. :)

Dorph;1886097']AutoHoover on = wheelbrakes on

AutoHoover off = wheelbrakes off

Sorry, couldn't resist! :yay:

Have you ever gone littlebird skiing? Helicopters (particularly light ones) already roll around on slopes... I've shot a hind down, it landed at the top of a hill, miraculously did not blow up and, it then skidded down the hill (some-what slowly, all the while the bugger was lighting everything up with its autocannon!

Yeah, I've experienced the sliding. Over a certain slope almost anything will slide in that game. I think that you must have killed the hind's pilot, or else the gunner would bail out. I find that with dead pilots, helicopters will survive crashes they would never survive with a pilot alive at the controls.

Yeah, I've experienced the sliding. Over a certain slope almost anything will slide in that game. I think that you must have killed the hind's pilot, or else the gunner would bail out. I find that with dead pilots, helicopters will survive crashes they would never survive with a pilot alive at the controls.

Yep, i can definitely confirm that. Very odd.

@160th

You still spin like a top with the tail rotor out on the ground. There would be no change between what we have now, and rolling wheels. I wish with the engine off, you'd stop spinning, because there is no torque.

High speed landings would be made easier and SAFER with rolling wheels because you wouldn't blow up or die while landing going faster than 60km/h.

@Dorph

Wheel brakes should be assigned to a separate scroll wheel command and be assignable to a key. I do not like using auto-hover, not because I think it's a crutch (I do think it is, but that's not the point), but because more often than not it's much more dangerous to use it than not.

A lot of people use it to land, fine but they also get confused when they shoot up into the air and get lit up by AA.

A lot of people use it to stabilize a gunship, thinking they're safe, then a fast mover comes in and shoots a missile that normally could have been countered with flares and a dive, but auto-hover prevented you from diving and the flares don't work because you can't move fast enough.

I do NOT want to be forced to use auto-hover in order to use an unrelated action. It's bad enough when I hop into a bird that someone else used and have it left on.

@Everybody

I have no idea what you guys are on about. If you do things properly, it's a non-issue. I can land a Huey on an almost 45degree angle (A hill that NO helicopter has any business landing on.) and not slide down the hill half as bad as you say it does. Your orientation on the hill DOES matter. Watch, I made this just for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq_K1gzbqYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq_K1gzbqYk

It's not like you're going to have ball-bearings for wheels, wheels only roll one direction. I fail to recognize what the issue is.

I think you are looking for this video

Look at 1:00

Edited by msy