Sign in to follow this  
Ripsaw5165

Having a Life and playing Arma 2 Combined Ops...

Well i used to be addicted to Flashpoint too and it really changed my life to some extent :D I didn't know what to study, so i went to a college that offered the Czech language within Translation theories as a main course. The OFP experience was a major influence for this decision :D

I did not regret it ^^

Edited by Flattermann

Hello again everyone! Got operation Flashpoint in 2001,played it every day till AA Combat ops came out. Didn't realy take to AA1 so only played it for couple of week. My pc broke 2 weeks ago just bought another along with AA 2. Wow am hooked again lol. Here goes another few years of my life (am 48). Hope the forum is as good as it was all those years ago. Is Placebo still around??:eek:

Open a Thread in the wrong Forum, He will move or close it eventually^^

I sometimes have problems with this too. It doesn't usually get in the way of me doing my studying, but it has changed the way I think, to an extent.

I was out walking my dog when she started growling at another dog. What was the first phrase that popped in to my head? Engaging targets. :rolleyes:

I've also started looking around more when I'm walking outside, "scanning" I guess it's called.

And the scary part? I've only been playing a couple of weeks, and I've already become like this. I've also managed to octodruple my knowledge about weapons, tactics and whatever else related to the military, in that same couple of weeks.

I know of other cases like this too, but I'd rather not talk about other people's suffering when they're not present.

Is somewhere an age thread, advisable with a voting poll. I don't like people trying to convince that spending time in PC games (anything where you move mouse and press keyboard is counted) is childish (for me spending all the lifetime to create an image of successful guy (PC games?! Hell no, I'm too serious!) to make someone think something instead of doing what you really like in life - that's what stupid. Whatever, I'm not going to convince them they are. Beating a dead horse). Telling them I like more war sim: OFP, ArmA and it mostly played by really adult persons - I would like to see how the people are aged.

Hey, I have a son at 13. In holidays we play this game together. We use to fly an Apache or act as a sniper team. He learn fast and quite enjoy it. This game also helped him improve his English. And his classmate are also astonished at his knowledge about weapons.

Is somewhere an age thread, advisable with a voting poll. I don't like people trying to convince that spending time in PC games (anything where you move mouse and press keyboard is counted) is childish (for me spending all the lifetime to create an image of successful guy (PC games?! Hell no, I'm too serious!) to make someone think something instead of doing what you really like in life - that's what stupid. Whatever, I'm not going to convince them they are. Beating a dead horse). Telling them I like more war sim: OFP, ArmA and it mostly played by really adult persons - I would like to see how the people are aged.

I just created such a thread here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=114555

I'm 62 and still kicking, amazingly I beat a bunch of mostly younger guys in the Few Good Men Combat Mission ladder last year, must have been a fluke..;)

Is age really a factor when you're playing turn-based tactics?

Is age really a factor when you're playing turn-based tactics?

Could be ... my son complains in Co-Op/MP missions when his character has to run/walk/crawl any sizeable distance. The younger crowd seems to want to ride everywhere in a vehicle.:)

Could be ... my son complains in Co-Op/MP missions when his character has to run/walk/crawl any sizeable distance. The younger crowd seems to want to ride everywhere in a vehicle.:)

Combat Mission, not Arma 2.

Myke;1851854']You mean like this? (sorry' date=' pic is over 100kb, therefor a link)

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/372-dscn4706.jpg

Or this? :D My son's the youngest ArmA II player ever? Who can beat a 1.5 year old armaholic? :D He likes flying the Apache.

http://min.us/mdMmfi9vQobMu (sorry for link, 2.6 MB filesize)

@Ripsaw5165:

Try to include your family into ArmA II :D Your wife could play a supporting role as an engineer or medic and if you've got children they could be forward observers. From my own experience I can say that junior sees the enemy far more earlier than I do. ;)

Like dcjzing I'm by all societal norms, too old to be playing sims... 47. But, in my defense I have been a computer geek since I got an Atari (2600) for Christmas gift in 1977 (give or take a year). After that, a Bally Arcade that featured 1.4k of ram programmable in BASIC. Not a typo... 1.4 kilobytes. Then an APF Imagination Machine with 16k ram and BASIC, then a Timex-Sinclair 2068 with I forget how much ram. First actual PC was a 386sx-16... 16mhz 16 bit cpu. As soon as combat sims came out for PC, I was there. A guy named Sid Meier used to offer some more or less crude mil sims almost like board games... only one I can remember was called "decision in the desert" and was about the North African campaign in WWII British vs Germans. I've got quite the legacy in sim playing, but have managed to balance it with the demands of married life, fatherhood, and the gov't job I've been at for 22 yrs.

Enough with nostalgia... why am I on here when I should be playing Arma 2?

I'm not too far away at 36..37 next month. I started with a Intellivision as my first gaming rig, my how times have changed. I've always been intrigued by the Military and everything about it.

I'm an HVAC and Comercial Refrigeration man running the family business with 2 older brothers after Dad retired. Also, I'm single and with the discovery of ArmA it looks as though it will stay that way for a while.:)

I am either working, playing ArmA Combined Ops with all DLC of course or watching the Military Channel trying to get more tips.

Edited by MissionMaximus

Good question - I now have a 6-week old and I didn't get a minute of playtime since then. I really miss playing Arma.

Legislator;1852453']Or this? :D My son's the youngest ArmA II player ever? Who can beat a 1.5 year old armaholic? :D He likes flying the Apache.

http://min.us/mdMmfi9vQobMu (sorry for link' date=' 2.6 MB filesize)

@Ripsaw5165:

Try to include your family into ArmA II :D Your wife could play a supporting role as an engineer or medic and if you've got children they could be forward observers. From my own experience I can say that junior sees the enemy far more earlier than I do. ;)[/quote']

While I'm not blessed with children my girlfriend certain fulfils a vital supporting role, logistical I would say, when I play Arma2. Our fridge is in another room-- how else would I get cold beer?

-k

Did you try to practice this with her?

Well, might be it looked something similar to this. :D

Edited by [FRL]Myke

I spent a heel of a lot of time on OFP when it came out in 2001 and am abouts to do the same again with AA2. It's learnt me all i need to know about p,c's and software so no way as it been a waste of time :yay: Edit= been more of an education than playing around. Ive even built my own pc in past all because of OFP and AA

This thread title confuses me -"Having a life and playing AA2".

I mean, wargames ARE our whole life aren't they, what else is there?

What else could we possibly want or need?

Oh I don't know, the stupid stuff I suppose. Wife, kids, home, useless stuff like that :)