Sign in to follow this  
cotabucky

I7 2600k with ati 6970 issues with stutter

Well My Motherboard VGA-LED light is solid ON now( could be more than one type of system failure from what I gather).I dont know exactly what was wrong except the Motherboard and Cpu are pissing me off. I just ordered up FX motherboard and amd 970 black.I don't care how much clock speed I lose as long as ARMA2 runs good. I think a 970 should be fine with my 6970We will see.I double checked all the x16 ports with another card and the light stays still stays on.Bios reset as well

I'm just getting sick and tired of Sandy bridge and the p8p67 board all together.I know I'm not alone.I tried all the hype and believed it would kick a$$.Maybe for some but for me the I72600k and P8P67 has been a complete nightmare from start to finish.

Well what do you expect if you buy products that have known flaws - and are super new, unproven yet? :P

I would've swapped it for X58 with i7 though - it seems the muscles are really @ Intel currently :)

Anyway, I wouldn't expect miracle performance suddenly though - tuning / twaeking things is a long process at times, and certainly with ArmA :D

Well My Motherboard VGA-LED light is solid ON now( could be more than one type of system failure from what I gather).I dont know exactly what was wrong except the Motherboard and Cpu are pissing me off. I just ordered up FX motherboard and amd 970 black.I don't care how much clock speed I lose as long as ARMA2 runs good. I think a 970 should be fine with my 6970We will see.I double checked all the x16 ports with another card and the light stays still stays on.Bios reset as well

I'm just getting sick and tired of Sandy bridge and the p8p67 board all together.I know I'm not alone.I tried all the hype and believed it would kick a$$.Maybe for some but for me the I72600k and P8P67 has been a complete nightmare from start to finish.

The p67 chipset is faulty, return it to your place of purchase. I haven't read the thread but you should do it.

Well what do you expect if you buy products that have known flaws - and are super new, unproven yet? :P

I would've swapped it for X58 with i7 though - it seems the muscles are really @ Intel currently :)

Anyway, I wouldn't expect miracle performance suddenly though - tuning / twaeking things is a long process at times, and certainly with ArmA :D

I expect to get what I payed for.I already purchased this before anybody new about the " KNOWN FLAWS" obviously...

Between asus and Intel it is there business to get it right.

I know all about tweaking and stuff for ARMA2.That being said if a system is failing for what ever reason all the tweaking in the world wont help.My board is F-ed or my CPU is F-ed.One or the other and both Asus and intel are to blame IMO for rushing out this new design.

It has been almost 20 years since I built a rig.Yes I am impatient and I'm sure the I7 x58 is the way to go for power but I'm not spending the $$$ just because I'm frustrated with the whole Intel thing.Ill give the slower AMD a try with the Crosshair IV board.Even If I get 1/2 the FPS but have some damn playability I will be happy lol :) .Hopefully the GPU is O.K. I think it is because I tested the board with this current 4350 I,m typing on now and it did the same thing. No card in it and it does the same thing.The cpu or board is the issue.Intel i7 2600k??? Maybe later when they get this new flawed system figured out is all I can say. I AM NOT ALONE WITH THIS

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

The p67 chipset is faulty, return it to your place of purchase. I haven't read the thread but you should do it.

Already in the works. Thankyou though

Also get something like GPU-Z (G not C) and see if your GPU Clock is randomly switching from max while playing.. And it can show you other info as well..

why you don´t check the tip of sekra? Its very easy to test this option: download gpu-z, start it, start arma2, close arma2 and take a look to the gpu-z log.

I would've swapped it for X58 with i7 though - it seems the muscles are really @ Intel currently

After cooling down today I did some more research. I did just what You mentioned and changed my mind yet again ;) . I went with the i7 950 and the Asus rampage 3 extreme board.

I do want the best I can afford right now and I figure this will be very good.Its been around a while and proven a performer.

Next time I will NOT buy new untested equipment all at once(New cpu,gpu,and motherboard designs). You are correct on that for sure.At least this time lol.

Now tomorrow I have to turn back the AMD and board(payed the shipping for nothing) .Ive been so frustrated lately I lost all patience :eek: .

We will soon see if the stutter is gone then,At least playable. I think more and more it was the equipment failure causing the BAD,VERY BAD stutter at times..It makes sence to me because my buddies same rig(HD,GPU,CPU,MB) is fine. Thanks for the help and I will let you peeps know how the new rig runs.

Maybe this time around I will get a good ARMA2 rig!!!???

O.K. I have my rig up and going and had confidence things would be better but they are maybe slightly better at best. The I7 950 and motherboard were changed along with an SSD drive and the game does the same exact thing with the Bad stutter and last night my PMC play was horrible but maybe a little better than last time.Settings don't matter and if anything the harder I push the card the more stable the Stutter and slowdown is.I have narrowed this problem down to one of 2 things I think it could be.My Memory is funky or my Graphics card is wacky.The thing that I don't understand is Left4dead2 seems awesome and so does Dirt2.It seems there is nothing wrong with the card and AGAIN my friend with his i7 2600k ,6970,carvair black HD has no problems running the benchmarks without stutter and jumpiness.In game he says its very smooth except for the occasional normal slowdown here and there.I can live with that but whats happening now is unplayable. I just ordered up some patriot viper 6G 1600mhz 8.9.8.8.24 latency which is what He is using without issues(sending my memory back).After that I will return my card if I have to LOL. It just doesn't make any F-in sence unless something is wrong. I have replaced the entire Motherboard/CPU/SSD drive and the only things left from my last system is the memory and Video card. Isn't that just funny this system acts almost(well quite the same realy)exactly the same way?

BTW Tried 11.2 drivers and the same exact thing.

Edited by cotabucky

Sympathize with your plight -chasing this issue- and not to be a wise guy but...have you considered Nvidia product as a possible alternative?

____

BTW: How did the RMAs go...are you looking to move that old P67 mobo/i7-2600K?

have you considered Nvidia product as a possible alternative?

It's not helpful to these posters, but it's only ATI users reporting this.

---------- Post added at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

Sigh. More crap advice.

Sympathize with your plight -chasing this issue- and not to be a wise guy but...have you considered Nvidia product as a possible alternative?

____

I'm ready to order a card tomorrow if I don't have luck with the memory.I talked to Tigerdirect and they ensure Me its no problem returning the card(within 30 days) as long as I order another one(any card) to replace it 1st(as in buy again before They refund my return on the one shipped back to them).I don't have a problem with that and I will either order the 570 or 580 if I do. I just am running out of things to blame.What I still just don't get is my buddies system is fine(6970,i7 2600k,WD black HD). It just leads me more and more to believe something is wrong with the hardware but I know its not the cpu/motherboard now at least.

I realy just want to see more benchmarks with the Nvidia products running arma2.It looks like the 580 has the best power and FPS over the 6970 but

I'm not sure of that. Either way I just need the damn game to be playable!

Ohh I have also run just joystick,2 sets of wireless keyboards(and adjusted all the in game settings and sencitivities)and run a wired keyboard and mouse as well with no difference.

New Motherboard and CPU and the game does the same thing!

The stutter is more of a jolting effect.It will be smooth and then holt and move almost like when you have bad lag online. Even my wifes duel core with the 4350 didn't do this lol!

Thanks and I'll let you know what I figure out.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

____

For all I know the CPU is fried.The MB won't post.I don't think you want it ;)

Just a thought, did you try setting your video memory to normal?

just saying because if i dont have my own set to normal i would stutter.

cotabucky,

Ever think it could be the power supply?

Your friend has the same system but what power supply is he using?

Just asking because I got a package deal from Tiger too and the Ultra power supply they gave me was GARBAGE!

Try with a different power.

For all I know the CPU is fried.The MB won't post.I don't think you want it ;)

Is this an Asus board? Much as I hate to say it, being a confirmed Asus fanboi and whore, the new P67 boards are cropping up on the internet with this problem time and time again.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asus+p67+boot+problem

For this reason alone, I got a Gigabyte board.

Is this an Asus board? Much as I hate to say it, being a confirmed Asus fanboi and whore, the new P67 boards are cropping up on the internet with this problem time and time again.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asus+p67+boot+problem

For this reason alone, I got a Gigabyte board.

Yes the 1st board was the p67 p8p67 pro.

Now I have the ASUS rampage 3 extreme.

The powersupply is a Ultra LSX 750wt and I would think it should be O.K. but I guess That is the only thing left to point the finger at if the memory and card doesn't fix it.

The other games play fine(well on this board and cpu,the last setup everything was going to hell before it died) I just don't know what to think.I have the Videocard(6970), Memory, and Powersupply left from last system.Its one of them :) .

As far as settings I have tried everything under the sun for settings including lowering the resolution from 1920.I have set them all to low and settings to very low and still have the jolting stutter effects.It actualy seems to smooth out the higher I set the card and this one puzzles my friend with the same system.He's just like WTF???

Yes the 1st board was the p67 p8p67 pro.

Now I have the ASUS rampage 3 extreme.

The powersupply is a Ultra LSX 750wt and I would think it should be O.K. but I guess That is the only thing left to point the finger at if the memory and card doesn't fix it.

The other games play fine(well on this board and cpu,the last setup everything was going to hell before it died) I just don't know what to think.I have the Videocard(6970), Memory, and Powersupply left from last system.Its one of them :) .

As far as settings I have tried everything under the sun for settings including lowering the resolution from 1920.I have set them all to low and settings to very low and still have the jolting stutter effects.It actualy seems to smooth out the higher I set the card and this one puzzles my friend with the same system.He's just like WTF???

Take out a stick of RAM and try it then, ARMA is a dog with 6gigs.

I run the same mobo and chip without any problem, OCed to 4.2 constantly and have a Crucial SSD also. I do have a rediculous amount of RAM now though and SLi 3GB GTX580s so memory is no longer an issue.

Try putting settings that increase texture sizes down also as they will use up your VRAM usage to breaking point and that is a cause of stuttering. I have monitored ARMA in the past with my 285's and the GFX card's memory would almost always be 100% used while playing.

Another thing to check is your RAM timings and bus clocks as they may be set a little low, depends how you went about your overclock.

But we're getting away from the issue. The fact remains that everyone reporting this stuttering is an ATI user.

I've been doing some tests and I've found I actually also experience the stutter, im on ATI 6950 flashed to 6970.

GPU+CPU Frequencies etc remain rock solid @ 100% during play.

It seems to be related to the scenery, tested on Takistan, if very few foliage (or other objects) is in view, all seems peachy, but if turn to an area with more foliage, I notice the stutter.

When in 3rd person you see it well in the character's movement.

It's during movement - FPS seems peachy, but every few steps it stutters for a small moment.

Perhaps it's a good idea to setup some test missions with a camera (if it's reproducable with it), and find scenery where it happens and where it doesn't happen, and if possible, record the behaviour and whip up a CIT ticket;

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki

Edited by Sickboy

Sorry if I am asking the obvious, but what are your Arma2 in-game video/audio settings? Did you compare all the software settings with your friends machine? Have you tried adjusting things like view distance, antialiasing, postprocessing, supersampling as well as all those features (like AI, AA etc) that can either be set to be controlled by ATI Catalyst or controlled in-game? Sometimes Arma2 and Catalyst will inexplicably will have a mind of its own and impose/guess default graphical settings. Also beware of A2's own video memory options (low/high/medium/automatic). I had to do a lot of in-game software setting adjustments to get Arma 2 working to my satisfaction.

Edited by MissionCreep

Tried taking out the sticks of memory before and done everything everyone else has suggested while sometimes trying it more than once(especially with all the settings).THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! I'm not sure how major or minor but something deffinetly wrong. The stutter is major at times making the game completely unplayable(PMC 1st mission and other town area missions mimics the 08 Benchmark with the major stutter).Like I said before the stutter is like major lag at times when you play online but it does the same thing offline.It will go smooth for a few seconds or more and then just jolt and in game it isn't noticable at 1st but it gets ugly fast when searching for the body in town on mission 1 of PMC.It will be smooth and then just F-up to all hell and make it realy frustrating when trying to aim.

Here are some things I have tried LOL----

Again different drivers,

Completely uninstalling the catylst and tried the same drivers My buddy has.11.1-11.2 and one other earlier one(10.- something).

2 different monitors and cables running through HDMI and DVI-VGA,

2-4 sticks of duel channel Mem(4gigs-8gigs)

Making ARMA2 priority in task bar,

SSD drive,

uninstalling OS mutiple times while only installing ARMA and NO VIRUS SOFTWARE,

formatting hardrive mutiple times as well,

MOUSE and KEYboard swaps,Joystick only,

puting card in different slots,

Changing Memory settings in bios including X.M.P. profiles and backing down as well(confirmed both bios detect the timing of my memory),

High speed and low speed GPU settings fan speed,

Catylyst settings of every single setting you can think of and back to default MANY TIMES!!!,

stock clocked,overclocked,

i7 2600k with p8p67,i7 950 with current rampage III extreme,

and probably more I can't think of right now .

I will have 6 gigs of triple Patriot viper X 8.9.8.8.24 memory claiming to be designed for x58 systems and a nice EVGA gtx 580 sitting on my doorstep tomorrow.

I'm guessing and hoping my issues go away tomorrow ;) Thanks again and hopefully This nightmare will be over. I HAVE TO PLAY ARMA2 !!! Sometimes you goto go to extremes to be happy.I am passionate about this game so I decided early on I was going to do anything I had to in order to play it right.

What I had should have played it great but I have had non stop problems from the start.Sometimes that is the way it goes. From the faulty p8p67 pro and Sandybridge nightmare to something else wrecking the experience for me lol. Whatever :rolleyes: Tomorrow is a new day

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Sorry if I am asking the obvious, but what are your Arma2 in-game video/audio settings? Did you compare all the software settings with your friends machine? Have you tried adjusting things like view distance, antialiasing, postprocessing, supersampling as well as all those features (like AI, AA etc) that can either be set to be controlled by ATI Catalyst or controlled in-game? Sometimes Arma2 and Catalyst will inexplicably will have a mind of its own and impose/guess default graphical settings. Also beware of A2's own video memory options (low/high/medium/automatic). I had to do a lot of in-game software setting adjustments to get Arma 2 working to my satisfaction.

Obvious Yes but it can be easily overlooked I know. I know were your going with this and my buddy and I extensively tried Every single thing you could imagine so many times, in so many ways.For weeks now :cool:

Thankyou though.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

I've been doing some tests and I've found I actually also experience the stutter, im on ATI 6950 flashed to 6970.

GPU+CPU Frequencies etc remain rock solid @ 100% during play.

It seems to be related to the scenery, tested on Takistan, if very few foliage (or other objects) is in view, all seems peachy, but if turn to an area with more foliage, I notice the stutter.

When in 3rd person you see it well in the character's movement.

It's during movement - FPS seems peachy, but every few steps it stutters for a small moment.

Perhaps it's a good idea to setup some test missions with a camera (if it's reproducable with it), and find scenery where it happens and where it doesn't happen, and if possible, record the behaviour and whip up a CIT ticket;

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki

Have you tried it in the 1st PMC mission were there are all the mortar strikes constant and when your searching for a body? Alot of the other missions are O.K. its just that mission is just stupid unplayable and other PMC missions that have a lot going on in a small area (like when you are blowing up barricades and meeting your SUV convoy). Like I said before ,My Wifes duel core 5700ish whatever walmart computer with 4350 was never this unstable.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

But we're getting away from the issue. The fact remains that everyone reporting this stuttering is an ATI user.

Yup and its not the 1st time I have thought about this. It is wierd my buddys system is fine for whatever reason and My system was perfect for like a day or one or 2 times in the benchmark 08 without a stutter.Thats it!

That is the only time I remember this working good.

Now it is in game in any area it gets at all congested. Why His is good and mine is just F-ed up I don't know and may never know.

All I do know is tomorrow if my memory swap doesn't do anything,I will be opening up that gtx580 with confidence the issue will go away ;).If it doesn't I'm gonna start getting realy drunk and pull the powersupply next HaHa :j: (kidding about getting wasted)

Edited by cotabucky

Plan on charting your resource(s) pull (spikes/drops) in ArmA II with Task Manager, Precision, or some other app, just in case?

Fingers crossed here that you find the sweet spot with your new GPU.

Will do.Tonight I should get my order in(usually after 4:00est for UPS). I just don't want to believe it could possibly be software related knowing I have tried a clean install of windows 7 pro 64bit and only Steam/ARMA2 OA, .The same as my friend but he has windows 7 premium only.Ive also tried it offline without steam and its the exact same thing.I have my suspicions that its something in the card that isn't quite right but it could be the memory or Powersupply I guess.

We will see

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Ohh wait,,Never mind Its Saturday and I wasted money on overnighting my package :( . I'm so obsessed with getting this done I lost track of time and ordered my stuff on a Friday Again :mad: .Monday it is...

I am a ARMAHOLIC and I do have a problem(there I admitted it lol) .

Well Until then I might as well keep trying some software tweaks maybe or work on my Missions in the editor.Yes I think learning some more scripting is a good idea ;) .

I'm thinking more and more its the memory or something.Maybe it is in the software somehow ..The funny thing is I set everything very high in 1080 and empty maps are flawless until I start flying around in a Heli were things have to be loaded.It then starts to do the pause/stutter thing.It acts like its a hardrive loading issue but I know it can't be that.That is what makes me suspect the memory maybe??? Its something that keeps things from being loaded on time.The SSD drive didn't do squat except make stuff load up faster(OS and programs,etc).

I don't get it.The framerate is fine and even perfect most of the time ,its just the jitter/stutter thing that drives me nuts and it does it whenever your fighting in towns and stuff.It does it realy bad on that 1st PMC mission.That is UNPLAYABLE.It is realy bad when you go from realy smooth framerate and then all of a sudden have pauses and crap.I have proven its nothing to do with the Motherboard and CPU as well as the Hardrive and ssd drive.I suspected the video card but when I see everything look so good and play perfect outside those missions It makes me doubt that again.The Memory is the same memory from my other system.Maybe,Just MAYBE I have faulty memory? Tomorrow I will know for sure

Edited by cotabucky

You mentioned your PSU earlier, cotabucky - I'd be very surprised if that caused this.

Here's a thought, try running the game with a browser running in the background. Tab out, close any browsers and come back into the game and see if anything changes.

Will try that after I put the kids to bed :) .I think Ive already tried this a bunch of times but I will try it on purpose just to make sure.Tankbuster,I see your running the i7 2600k with low latency memory(7.7.7.20).What are you running for GPU if you don't mind me asking,and from the UK have you had decent online play with us over here? I have a friend in Australia that had a decent connection to me here in Maine,USA.

Edited by cotabucky

I have a GTX470. I don't think I've ever connected to an US server. If I'm honest, I rarely stray from my own server. :)

Another theory has come from another player who has two systems, with differing CPUs AND GPUs. He reports that he ONLY gets stuttering when he pairs an ATI GPU with an intel CPU.