Sign in to follow this  
cotabucky

I7 2600k with ati 6970 issues with stutter

I have a GTX470. I don't think I've ever connected to an US server. If I'm honest, I rarely stray from my own server. :)

Another theory has come from another player who has two systems, with differing CPUs AND GPUs. He reports that he ONLY gets stuttering when he pairs an ATI GPU with an intel CPU.

The only problem with this theory is My buds system is I7 2600k and ATI 6970.His runs great and he is very picky with graphics,etc.

Maybe by chance the player you mentioned has some other variable in his systems making him come to His conclusion. Just like the issue I am having,I come to all kinds of conclusions until I find I was wrong on all of them so far lol.I have to wonder about the memory.It is possible I think ,and I will find out soon enough.

I am hoping I come back on after tomorrows overhaul all jazzed about my system working properly.Even then I may not have answers as to what was the problem but Hopefully I can at least play my favorite game properly.If Not I will dissect this software and hardware settings until my brain bleeds! I'm just taking advantage of my 30day return guarantee while I can ,and I know my buds system works good So I there for know something is up with mine.

Edited by cotabucky

O.K. HaHa,It was the last component! I changed the memory with no difference,So Then I changed out the card.

LET ME JUST SAY WOW! That was the problem Everything in my system is better with the gtx580.My background Ferraris are photo realistic now.My text is clear on my 52 inch samsung. The 08 benchmark 1st pass was 60FPS with mostly normal settings with ZERO stutter!

There was something wrong with my 6970 I am guessing.It did well in most games but ARMA2 exposed its issues for me lol.I know my buddies 6970 works great for him(and yes in crossfire as well).I must have got a faulty one.It had an issue with the memory loading stuff I'm going to guess.

Ohh and my system memory has not been optomized yet and I'm only running 3.2ghz(Yes i Know that is plenty fast enough).

I'm so fricken happy!!! I still havn't tested the PMC mission but I have confidence the problem is gone considering how smooth the 08 benchmark is now.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear it has improved.

One question (and mainly to remaining ATI users) - are you running the latest beta ? I have noticed over the last two betas or so that there is increased stutter with my 6950, most noticably when flying over Zargabab or the Fallujah map. You might expect stutter given the map detail, but if I switch back to 1.57 the stutter is almost non-existent. I wonder if others are seeing the same change, or whether it is related to the OP's problem.

So stutter is ATI related this time eh and perhaps 6000 series only - good to know - now up to BIS and ATI to solve I guess - I wants my 6970 to shines!

Edited by Sickboy

So stutter is ATI related this time eh and perhaps 6000 series only - good to know - now up to BIS and ATI to solve I guess - I wants my 6970 to shines!
I'm not sure realy because my friends setup did,t have this issue. It seems like a hit or miss type thing.One thing for sure is the 6970 is capable of awesome stuff but I think my gtx580 has more power for setting things higher.The 08 benchmark doesn't stutter anymore yet the PMC 1st mission still does at times(I think its just more the game engine in that level)Thats about it.I like that setting AA on or higher doesn't even barely effect framerate much that I can notice(of course it does but on the 6970 it had a very negetive impact on performance).

If the 6970 is working it is a much better deal for Price/Performance IMO. The gtx580 isn't worth the much higher cost but that being said I am very glad I have it if that makes sence :) .It realy does have some muscle thats for sure and for some reason everything on my system looks better.Its probably just something little that wasn't right with my 6970 I am guessing. All and all I couldn't be more happy.It cost me a ton to get here but thats not my fault LOL. I had Motherboard /cpu issues from the start and then it just got worse from there until I replaced everything

Edited by cotabucky

The looking better is probably digital vibrance, afaik ATI has something like that too, perhaps it's not auto-enabled etc.

Price/Performance was also my reason to go for this baby.

I gotta say in the Unigine DX11 Heaven benchmark the 580 completely crushes my 6970.

My stutterring problem disappears for the most part once I enable Fraps recording -

so stutter stutter stutter, F9 enable fraps recording, FPS goes lower to like 24, stuttering is gone - F9 disable fraps recording, stuttering immediately reappears.

Some related posts from other games;

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/21254-recording-video-with-fraps-fixes-my-stuttering-problem/

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397651

Also the stuttering is more apparant in windowed mode than in full screen mode.

Edited by Sickboy

I realy like all the adjustments the gtx580 can do on the hardware side.So far the games Ive played are way better than the 6970 but again I think it has more to do with some type of defect in my 6970.On the other hand I know the gtx580 has some serious muscle with the AA and tessilation side.Flighsimulator X will be the true test to see if my 6970 was deffective. I could not get FSX to look good with ground textures at all no matter what I set in game or on hardware.It looked like bad lines of distortion or something and just looked horrible and nowere near as good as a lot of the videos I have seen with lesser hardware.

Now I have to start playing games again instead of all this messing around :) I'm so used to having so many problems to figure out,Now I need to start relaxing and playing the game again. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe this will help someone else as well