Sign in to follow this  
Logan9773

Player moves like a drunken sailor.

I don't want the floating camera style. Just a lot less Frankenstein oversize boot walking thats especially present inside of buildings and around lots of ground clutter.

Another is the lunge you sometimes take when going from crouched to prone. Not very nice when you're on a roof.

What are the answers, then, as to how you deal with that in the interim between now and when they're fixed?

1) Avoid buildings. The AI, unless placed in there by the mission editor, will almost always leave them at some point. If all else fails demolish it with satchels or rockets, or an artillery strike if you have one handy.

2) If you know of this animation bug then stop going from crouched with your weapon lowered, to prone.

See? Adapt to the issues until they're fixed, rather than just giving up.

The animations, while certainly imperfect, are nowhere near as bad as some of you are making them out to be. If they are, then how come Celery, or I, for example, have no issue playing (generally) very well against both human and AI opponents, even without any mods? We are using the same animations in the same environment against the same opponents, the difference is that you are failing and we are succeeding, therefore the problem does not lie in the animations (nor the environment for that matter), it lies in your inability to overcome a problem you are presented with.

And now add to this that many many people play with ACE which makes things even more complicated.

And enjoy it more than vanilla.

People just cry because they can't run'n'gun FPS-style. Yes a camera being tied to animations is not perfect and is a more complex thing to work with, but I'd take it over the floating camera from FPS any day.

I also don't get why people cry about moving around with the readied weapon inside houses being problematic. It should be problematic when you carry a nearly meter long object in front of you and try to side step through the doorway - you know.

Edited by metalcraze

Does the forward lunge only happen if you have your weapon lowered?

Yes. Crouch with your weapon lowered, and then hit your Prone key. You will move forward a bit and then go prone, happens every time. Solution until it's fixed: avoid crouching with your weapon lowered, or going prone if you still do so.

See? These things will probably eventually be fixed, but until then it's perfectly simple to adapt and overcome, not just give up entirely and demand it be fixed.

Okay, cool. I was wondering why that happens for a while now. Never really had any problems with it though :)

I also don't get why people cry about moving around with the readied weapon inside houses being problematic. It should be problematic when you carry a nearly meter long object in front of you and try to side step through the doorway - you know.

In all fairness it is a problem because even the shortest sawed-off MP5 is physically just as cumbersome indoors as the longest anti-tank rifle.

maybe the forward lunge is a feature. you have your weapon low, and suddenly you go prone, your weapon stuck to the ground, you lose stability and to avoid a ridiculous fall to the ground with a paintfull face plant, you just run forward.... :p

only problem i got with movement in arma oa is the fact you cant walk and throw a nade..he has to stop

Yeah, this bug was intruduced with OA. Wonder when they will get rid of it...

I don't see what the issue is here.

Go play COD 6, if you don't like it don't feel the need to write a book on why you don't like it.. If you dislike anything, down to the very fact that you die so easily, go play something else or else try to get good at it. Realism Simulators are different than FPS because they are realistic, and for the players of this game, FPS are usually just boring, easy, and cartoony. Get used to the harsh reality or stick with cartoon land.

Go play COD 6, if you don't like it don't feel the need to write a book on why you don't like it.. If you dislike anything, down to the very fact that you die so easily, go play something else or else try to get good at it. Realism Simulators are different than FPS because they are realistic, and for the players of this game, FPS are usually just boring, easy, and cartoony. Get used to the harsh reality or stick with cartoon land.

I just love the "Go Play COD" argument.

He says nothing against realism, he even mentioned Infiltration The Best of Tactical Gaming.

I for myself want to play ArmA2 with floating zones and head shaking, but i also want to sneak behind a corner without doing half a step to much.

I understand that the Real Virtuality engine and the Unreal engine are different, but this is the same discussion why OFP had a fluid gameplay and Arma2 not.

I also think the "go play cod" argument works against us. Instead of telling these people to piss off and play the little children's games, why not instead convince them that ArmA is best?

It's not harsh reality, there is always room for improvement. He wants to have a better system, so he suggested it, and you're shooting him down for suggesting it? fine, but don't tell him to play another game.

if you don't like people suggesting things, go play call of duty :rolleyes::p

I also think the "go play cod" argument works against us. Instead of telling these people to piss off and play the little children's games, why not instead convince them that ArmA is best?

Best thing ive read in this thread so far, amongst others. How about we just fix the situation the OP is in, and everyone is happy? I could argue both ways, but it would only add to this flaming thread. Our opinions are our own.

For this next arguement

Let Arma be sex and COD masturbation (sorry maths is getting into my head now :P "let F be the function of x"...wtf :S)

Telling someone who says "oh i dont like sex because you have to do this and its just awkward to find" to go and "masturbate yourself" is just giving them the easy option when you could say " why not give it a go and hey, your were going to have to pay her anyway" ( as in, hey to find out you didnt liek arma you were going to have to buy the game..hence pay her...get it? :P )

:459: never saw a better explanation for it....

hey, just trying to bring a bit of humour to the debate :D

I just love the "Go Play COD" argument.

He says nothing against realism, he even mentioned Infiltration The Best of Tactical Gaming.

I for myself want to play ArmA2 with floating zones and head shaking, but i also want to sneak behind a corner without doing half a step to much.

I understand that the Real Virtuality engine and the Unreal engine are different, but this is the same discussion why OFP had a fluid gameplay and Arma2 not.

Talking of "a step too much" and acting like OFP was fluid in this regard is wearing huge pink-tinted glasses

Since A2 is using an animation based system, just tell me how BI is going to handle 1/4th, 1/8th of a step in an animation?

Doing so in other FPS is simple : your player camera is simply sliding completely independantly of what your character is actually doing. You end the slide anytime you want

In A2, your character is playing an animation. the camera moves accordingly. To move the camera smoothly, you must be able to stop anim A and bring it smoothly to anim B from any step of your anim A. You must be able to play transitions from any step of an animation to the next. That's quite a treat

Precise control of player's position requires switching to a "normal" FPS control / animation system. Will probably impact the way bullets are fired, for example.

he even mentioned Infiltration The Best of Tactical Gaming.

Oh, sorry. I guess I should back off. I offended your god who writes 10 page articles about playing co-op well. I liked the part where it says you need 360 degree coverage.

There are many mods released daily for this game for a reason.. You can never really get anyone who is satisfied, and so it can always be 'improved' or made better.. But when I see people like this complaining, or comparing Arma2 to AA3 or some FPS game, it's just a summary of this:

'Oh my god I died, it's all the games fault cuz the movement sux.. or wait maybe it's my mouse'.

Anyways, its simple and the fact you can't grasp the simplicity shows how your mind is in turn. There is no need to say I don't know what realism is just because I use the word 'realistic', as all that arguement is just the response of a defeated child bickering curse words and picking away at the scraps. If you don't like it, go play another game or use a mod: this is the answer to the question this one guy asked before they dragged this on for 100 pages. That should be simple enough. I'm out, and no need to keep argueing. :bounce3:

Edited by Jurugi

Wow, three years ago this game had sluggish UI problems, and I come back to give AO a try and find out the same old nonsense is still going on.

Get over yourselves guys, the game was cluncky, is clunky, and will always be clunky in CQB until its fixed. Rg made a mod to tweek it, but people like myself walked away before giving it a try because of the same old "go play COD" crowd.

BIS lost my money and many more like me for that same behavior over the last few years, yet once again the mods still defend it.

Wow, three years ago this game had sluggish UI problems, and I come back to give AO a try and find out the same old nonsense is still going on.

Get over yourselves guys, the game was cluncky, is clunky, and will always be clunky in CQB until its fixed. Rg made a mod to tweek it, but people like myself walked away before giving it a try because of the same old "go play COD" crowd.

BIS lost my money and many more like me for that same behavior over the last few years, yet once again the mods still defend it.

Compared to Armed Assault Arma 2 is smooth as hell. OFP of course has the best animations in terms of fluidness, albeit at the cost of natural looking motion. Outdoors CQB in Arma 2 has been perfectly playable ever since the "evade left/right" movement bug, along with getting fatigue from your own shots, was fixed in some patch last year.

You suppose that BIS should be doing whatever it takes to get your money by making it easy to run and hop and dive out of every sticky situation as though you were superhuman? If that were the philosophy we'd just end up with another iteration of the same generic BS that every other producer is pumping out in the hunt for your money.

You suppose that BIS should be doing whatever it takes to get your money by making it easy to run and hop and dive out of every sticky situation as though you were superhuman? If that were the philosophy we'd just end up with another iteration of the same generic BS that every other producer is pumping out in the hunt for your money.

FFS, this is so frustrating :( And before you tell me to go play COD, I'm an ArmA guy, through and through.

These things are not what was asked for here. No one mentioned being superhuman here but the "go play COD" people. Why is it that there's this need to suddenly jump to the extreme in the face of criticism?

Oh, sorry. I guess I should back off. I offended your god who writes 10 page articles about playing co-op well. I liked the part where it says you need 360 degree coverage.

There are many mods released daily for this game for a reason.. You can never really get anyone who is satisfied, and so it can always be 'improved' or made better.. But when I see people like this complaining, or comparing Arma2 to AA3 or some FPS game, it's just a summary of this:

'Oh my god I died, it's all the games fault cuz the movement sux.. or wait maybe it's my mouse'.

Anyways, its simple and the fact you can't grasp the simplicity shows how your mind is in turn. There is no need to say I don't know what realism is just because I use the word 'realistic', as all that arguement is just the response of a defeated child bickering curse words and picking away at the scraps. If you don't like it, go play another game or use a mod: this is the answer to the question this one guy asked before they dragged this on for 100 pages. That should be simple enough. I'm out, and no need to keep argueing. :bounce3:

^^ i am also not the one who dissect game play aspects in detail, but the "hell yeah ArmA" is the best attitude in the forum drive me crazy.

Talking of "a step too much" and acting like OFP was fluid in this regard is wearing huge pink-tinted glasses

Since A2 is using an animation based system, just tell me how BI is going to handle 1/4th, 1/8th of a step in an animation?

Doing so in other FPS is simple : your player camera is simply sliding completely independantly of what your character is actually doing. You end the slide anytime you want

In A2, your character is playing an animation. the camera moves accordingly. To move the camera smoothly, you must be able to stop anim A and bring it smoothly to anim B from any step of your anim A. You must be able to play transitions from any step of an animation to the next. That's quite a treat

Precise control of player's position requires switching to a "normal" FPS control / animation system. Will probably impact the way bullets are fired, for example.

Infiltration manage the 1fst person view with the fire of the model, BUT:

I don´t want classic FPS control, just something between the may arcade like OFP and ArmA2 movement. The Real Virtuality engine is more a RTS engine then a FPS engine, but why BIS can not simplify the infantry control like the vehicle control. Is not that i except it for Arma2, however the next generation should supply it.

Just compare strafing in OFP and ArmA2 .

In ArmA2 and OFP the animation stops and returns to the stand position, when the strafe button is hit shortly. The different between both is that in OFP the model is stopping immediately and in Arma2 the model does a huge side step.

So there are (just in my opinion) 2 possibilities:

Use shorter and maybe unrealistic animation or stop the animation and return with a algorithmic based animation to the stand position.

It is is just the walking animation, the running animation can keep the delay due to inertia.