Sign in to follow this  
Logan9773

Player moves like a drunken sailor.

I just queote him...

Anyway, I saw those infiltration videos... seriously... WTF?

EDIT: btw, if you want more faster movements, try TRUE MODS

Yes, Infiltration was the best infantry simulation in aspect of movement and weapon handling.

random movie link:

But, in my opinion Arma will never to be capable too handle this accurate player control. The strength of Arma is to combine the whole aspect of warfare in a simplify simulation, which is focusing in infantry combat.

Funny you mention that video, I made it :p It always feels slightly odd that my video has become one of the defining media aspects of that game from this point onwards

Infiltration had lots of features that haven't been seen since, but many of them are most definitely possible to return again. The issue however is that if you can't have a smoother gaming experience without going to a floating camera system rather than fixed-on-model animation, otherwise the player animations to everyone else or third person look slack and bust

(I personally Loved the weapon sounds, but unfortunately they wouldn't carry over to the percieved sound dynamics of the open spaces you see in arma 2 without something like HARCP)

Edited by DaveP

I just queote him...

Anyway, I saw those infiltration videos... seriously... WTF?

EDIT: btw, if you want more faster movements, try TRUE MODS

Thanks, bud. I will take a look at that. I like Arma 2, I just can't STAND the movement.

Yeah I thought the movement was incredibly annoying when I started playing but I guess I got used to it. Maybe because I only fight on open fields + hills.

and don't give me that "realism" crap. I know realism. I've trained in the real world. This is not realistic movement. In reality you don't go hurtling sideways as you turn slightly to run up some stairs. In reality, your weapon doesn't keep moving sideways when you want it to stop. Not even my AKM with a 30 round mag and wooden stock does that IRL. When I want it to stop moving, its stops just where I want it to point.

Look, I don't wish to pile on the responses, but seriously, I see it all the time on these boards where people insist they can do X or Y instantly and without consequense. It might be your impression that you turn without inertia, and can freeze your aim exactly where you wish, but you cannot. Really, you. Can. Not.

Like you, I've done CQB training for real, but even now I can pick up a toy weapon and instead of concentrating on what I wish to do, I concentrate on what I'm actually doing, I can see the small inertias at work.

What you might be experiencing is low FPS, if you wish to move so fast and find yourself not quite where you want to be, it might be that. The post-processing movement blur might also compound this, so try it with it off. Try it without head-bob, try it without a floating zone, try fiddling with the mouse response settings. Also, try tha various animation addons that are around, SLX is one that affects some of the animations, to my eyes SLX makes you move too fast between stances, but I happen to like that for the purposes of the game.

Hey, Metal, you and dale can suck my balls.

Keep that language out of here please. You should know you will get resistance coming on to the official forum asking for simpler movement.

Test PROPER addons to get faster movement. Besides that im not sure there is an addon making you float like the action games. Maybe someone else knows that pass by here.

What you might be experiencing is low FPS, if you wish to move so fast and find yourself not quite where you want to be, it might be that.

Or in the case of mouse movent: Mouse lag is quite common, especially with low FPS. Though recently BI gave the game render frames ahead and vsync options to (almost) eliminate this issue without having to mess with other programs to turn it down/off.

I sincerely, deeply enjoy the movement itself in ArmA2, its gritty and feels heavy, like you have been out and about with heavy gear for a while, not smooth on rollerskates like most games. Especially since a dozen beta's ago (not sure if included in 1.57) the weapon+enviroment collision was immensely improved, making indoor movement much more enjoyable. Though it was always possible, and i remember trying to turn around in very tight spaces while having to manualy lower my weapon to actually turn around; it made it quite interesting but i think that the current solution is better in the end.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I hate it when people claim the game is perfect. If you truly loved the game you would acknowledge that the game has some flaws. The game is not a super game. The game is a well done simulation that has its ups and downs. Some downs include poor handling for CQB. Its a known fact that a normal person would navigate their gun and bodies through a building much more effectively than arma2. If you truly love this game you would want to see it grow, not claim its perfect and cover up all its flaws. The game simulates things beautifully and offers unimaginable worlds for you to fight over. But at the same time it needs to fix its MP capabilities/performance, frame rate performance, AI road handling, and CQB movements.

Stop pretending the game is perfect and shut every guy with an opinion out of this forum with passive aggressive flaming. It does no good for this game. It does no good for the community. I'm not an admin but I will gladly point out when people are uselessly pushing someone out of his own suggestion thread. You are not BIS, they will make their own decisions. There are potential customers out there that outnumber every one of you guys.

I hate it when people claim the game is perfect. If you truly loved the game you would acknowledge that the game has some flaws. The game is not a super game. The game is a well done simulation that has its ups and downs. Some downs include poor handling for CQB. Its a known fact that a normal person would navigate their gun and bodies through a building much more effectively than arma2. If you truly love this game you would want to see it grow, not claim its perfect and cover up all its flaws. The game simulates things beautifully and offers unimaginable worlds for you to fight over. But at the same time it needs to fix its MP capabilities/performance, frame rate performance, AI road handling, and CQB movements.

Stop pretending the game is perfect and shut every guy with an opinion out of this forum with passive aggressive flaming. It does no good for this game. It does no good for the community. I'm not an admin but I will gladly point out when people are uselessly pushing someone out of his own suggestion thread. You are not BIS, they will make their own decisions. There are potential customers out there that outnumber every one of you guys.

I don't think anyone will argue with you. But hyperbole is not constructive criticism.

I don't think anyone will argue with you. But hyperbole is not constructive criticism.

I'm just taking his side because he is right, and the majority here is gang flaming on him without any consequence. I'm not afraid to point out flaws. This is a real flaw. And I thought this was in the suggestions, but its not, so it should probably be moved.

He is NOT right, there's no way I want "crysis / unreal tournament / quake / doom like movement" in this game.

I'm just taking his side because he is right, and the majority here is gang flaming on him without any consequence. I'm not afraid to point out flaws. This is a real flaw. And I thought this was in the suggestions, but its not, so it should probably be moved.

The specific complaint I heard were more about controls than movement. And then a lot of overblown stuff like inertia. What? Finishing the step you are in the process of taking is inertia? I barely notice it.

The specific complaint I heard were more about controls than movement. And then a lot of overblown stuff like inertia. What? Finishing the step you are in the process of taking is inertia? I barely notice it.

The problem with the inertia is that every movement you make is heavy in that direction. In real life you have full control through your movements. You can take a step, but half way through put your leg back stopping your self. In CQB its important to have more control over your arms and legs because you are trying to keep cover. In this game its nearly impossible. Infact, leaning is the best feature they have incorporated for CQB, otherwise everything else is made more for open space. Step out of a corner and back in; in the game you will take too long in the effort compared to real life, leaving exposed for too long.

The gun colliding with everything and too much inertia make CQB a difficult task.

to be true, in 30-50% of CQ Battles the enemy is ignoring me if he´s on the move, so giving more control over the player would make the player too strong maybe:rolleyes:there are many things which have to be improved, but i dont think movement is that bad.

He is NOT right, there's no way I want "crysis / unreal tournament / quake / doom like movement" in this game.

x2

It does sound like he needs to tweak the game options to his likes.

That sensation is due to the whole animation system used in Arma 2 and the fact that its simulating the whole character in the real world instead of a fixed camera glued to a weapon like in Call of Duty and Battlefield type FPS games.

What exactly is the complication that requires this to be dragged out to 5 pages?

Just turn head-bobbing completely off and be done with it. The movement is pretty smooth after that.

I myself have it off because the movement was making me kinda dizzy, and I rationalized that since I don't get dizzy from my own body movements in real life, then I shouldn't be dizzy when looking at the screen either.

But point is the option is there for anyone to turn on/off as they choose.

CQB is fairly manageable when walking not running, but one generally shouldn't be rushing around corners in CQB anyhow. I do agree that the weapon collision thing needs to be more streamlined and organic, and of course improvements to how the AI utilizes building interiors.

Seriously, quit comparing the CE3 demos for that place to this game, those are DEMOS there is NO GAME IN THE WORKS. If you guys took the 10 seconds needed to read the first page of the website for the company that made those videos you will see that they are a company that helps OTHER COMPANIES make simulations using the CryEngine technology, not a company making a game for public consumption.

There is no milsim in the works using the CryEngine, at least not one any one here outside of the industry will get their hands on. Its a moot point. DROP IT.

The problem with the inertia is that every movement you make is heavy in that direction. In real life you have full control through your movements. You can take a step, but half way through put your leg back stopping your self. In CQB its important to have more control over your arms and legs because you are trying to keep cover. In this game its nearly impossible. Infact, leaning is the best feature they have incorporated for CQB, otherwise everything else is made more for open space. Step out of a corner and back in; in the game you will take too long in the effort compared to real life, leaving exposed for too long.

The gun colliding with everything and too much inertia make CQB a difficult task.

:confused: Seems to me like all this is fixed by the Shacktac movement mod. I haven't had any problems with collision or clunky movement in CQB since I started using it.

Frankenstein monster clunkiness has been a complaint for a long time.

Bohemia dealt with this a bit making buildings easier to navigate in Arrowhead.

As usual the people blessed with systems that have smooth, high FPS, low lag play

will deny that it's an issue.

Smooth, high FPS, low lag? :bigsmile: During actual gameplay I probably average something like 25 fps.

The clunkiness of the soldier in game has be a recurring topic.

FACT

When Arrowhead was released people were posting about how much better it was navigating buildings.

Bomemia pointed out this change themselves.

I DO NOT agree with the OP that the movement in Arma 2 makes it unplayable but it is an issue on systems that aren't pimped out.

The fact that there is an addon to deal with it says enough.

Edited by jblackrupert

The animations, while certainly imperfect, are nowhere near as bad as some of you are making them out to be. If they are, then how come Celery, or I, for example, have no issue playing (generally) very well against both human and AI opponents, even without any mods? We are using the same animations in the same environment against the same opponents, the difference is that you are failing and we are succeeding, therefore the problem does not lie in the animations (nor the environment for that matter), it lies in your inability to overcome a problem you are presented with.

I'd welcome improvements to the animations, but they don't need to be changed into your typical floating-camera FPS style.

Try the movement/animation elements of the SLX mod. I'm pretty sure it smooths out some of the clunkiness - particularly for sideways movement (side stepping).

For me personally the only time I find it excessively clunky is when side stepping as the anims are all messed up - excessive gun bounce.

Edited by stun

I don't want the floating camera style. Just a lot less Frankenstein oversize boot walking thats especially present inside of buildings and around lots of ground clutter.

Another is the lunge you sometimes take when going from crouched to prone. Not very nice when you're on a roof.

Edited by jblackrupert