Sign in to follow this  
kage74

ArmA 3 Online

It is my suggestion that BIS make a military MMORPG. Where the player logs in creates his character, chooses a faction and ranks up (instead of leveling up) and earns money by going out on missions. I've played FFXI, WoW, SWG, Aion & FFXIV and if BIS made a military MMORPG I would definitely pay-to-play it each month.

They would probably have to change the game engine. I doubt the current one could handle 3000+ players on each server plus all the NPCs and still allow people to see thousands of meters.

The maps themselves are large enough to handle that many people running around. A city the size of Zargabad could easily boast a population of 3000 or more and so could Chernarus.

There would need to be a few other changes made, like allowing people to use /emotes. Various changes to the UI to support parties (squads). You would need lots of daily quests and missions to keep people busy. PvP is a MUST HAVE. You would need GMs to keep things running smoothly. Just think World of Warcraft…but with guns and tanks and shit.

I just think BIS is missing out on a lot of income. With the popularity of MMORPGs if they could get one that kept true to the spirit of OFP > ArmA > ArmA 2 they could make a fortune.

ArmA 3 Online - I would play that!

More info for an rpmod here :icon_arrow:http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1824246&postcount=16

Edited by kage74

Dude, ARMA 3 is impossible!

Firstly you have to know, this is a Military Simulation Game, not to make this a

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) so it is not for kids under 16 - 18 (Mature Enough)...

BI said to make and sell more expansion and DLC(s) to improve and continue the ARMA 2 Sequel also to improve the engine like what they did for OA (Adding FLIR and Countermeasures).

How do you know BI is losing lots of income? Please come on, don't assume and criticize on BI for earning too less. Imaging how many copies of OFP, ARMA, ARMA 2 + OA has been sold. Not talking about how many VBS2 sold to worldwide Army/Armed Forces/Defence Force?

Seriously do not assume too much, many players are complaining that Zargabad and Chenarus is eating their frame rates on a average computer, do you even know how demanding the game already is?By the way, You sounded you are less than 16 years of age.

So this thread is like pure nonsense.

Edited by avengerzx

It is my suggestion that BIS make a military MMORPG. Where the player logs in creates his character, chooses a faction and ranks up (instead of leveling up) and earns money by going out on missions. I've played FFXI, WoW, SWG, Aion & FFXIV and if BIS made a military MMORPG I would definitely pay-to-play it each month.

They would probably have to change the game engine. I doubt the current one could handle 3000+ players on each server plus all the NPCs and still allow people to see thousands of meters.

The maps themselves are large enough to handle that many people running around. A city the size of Zargabad could easily boast a population of 3000 or more and so could Chernarus.

There would need to be a few other changes made, like allowing people to use /emotes. Various changes to the UI to support parties (squads). You would need lots of daily quests and missions to keep people busy. PvP is a MUST HAVE. You would need GMs to keep things running smoothly. Just think World of Warcraft…but with guns and tanks and shit.

I just think BIS is missing out on a lot of income. With the popularity of MMORPGs if they could get one that kept true to the spirit of OFP > ArmA > ArmA 2 they could make a fortune.

ArmA 3 Online - I would play that!

More info for an rpmod here :icon_arrow:http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1824246&postcount=16

As a former player of Ultima Online, Asheron's Call (Darktide), Anarchy Online, and so on, all the way up to World of Warcraft... I'd have to say no way, it would never work with this game.

The closest thing you'll ever see to your idea for now is WWIIOnline... no idea how that turned out but I played it for about 4 months when it was released. I bet it only got better. It was rough at the beginning.

While I don't think the idea itself is the problem, you can do a MMORPG with any concept I'm sure, I just don't think this is a game to base it on.

Hahaha hahaha. This is the most idiotic idea I've read on these forums

My solution for the people demanding some larger multplayer environment has always been the idea of a macro level (think not that detailed, far out view) war being fought over a large area (thousands of kilometers in any direction) where groups can then participate in the course of the actions. It wouldn't be a real time massive battle, but it could facilitate TvT or COOP play, but using missions dynamically created by the course of battle, representing current situations in the macro level warzone, and with the out come of player actions seeding larger events down the line.

Also I do not think this should be the focus of an entire game, but this is something that could be applied to an engine like ArmA2, even in its current state.

well i would love something like ArmA 3 online..but both.. i wouldn't care a shit about the ranking and stuff, but to have my character and join the always on going battle between USMC and takistan rebels.. I would love it to be honest. Then operations could last much longer and fight for each square meter would be funny..

not saying arma is the best engine or that it needs to be 3000 players, i would enjoy something like 120 players but otherwise much like MMORPG..

the more options i got, the happier i am :p

Fellas, in the broad spectrum of things, Operation Arrowhead just came out, especially compared to the gap between OFP and ArmA. Arma 3 is probably a long way off, if it even exists. ;)

One thing's for sure though, it will not be a MMORPG, heh.

Guh, ArmA would not work as an MMO.

It require organisation, teamwork, loyalty and not 3,000 people all running around Zargabad shouting 'LFG, PLZ SHO TITS LOL'

Sure, I would LOVE it if we could simulate a full-scale warzone with battallions of players on either side, but it's just not going to happen, no matter how much LSD you take you're just not going to end up on a trip that remotely justifies this idea;

If BIS do this, it'll spell a downward spiral to the ArmA franchise..

I'm not entirely sure why this post became so angry, but apparantly it did..

My solution for the people demanding some larger multplayer environment has always been the idea of a macro level (think not that detailed, far out view) war being fought over a large area (thousands of kilometers in any direction) where groups can then participate in the course of the actions. It wouldn't be a real time massive battle, but it could facilitate TvT or COOP play, but using missions dynamically created by the course of battle, representing current situations in the macro level warzone, and with the out come of player actions seeding larger events down the line.

There used to be a league called IXXL in the days of OFP and in 2010 for ArmA2. The 2011 league is called Ultra league or something.

Just have a look, scroll down for English:

http://www.ult-ra.net/

Why not try to set this one up (or a similar thing) in the Americas, Australia, Asia?

Edited by Flattermann

The closest thing you'll ever see to your idea for now is WWIIOnline... no idea how that turned out but I

played it for about 4 months when it was released. I bet it only got better. It was rough at the beginning.

Turned out pretty Ausome!

they now have Ragdoll physics, real weather, new explosions, sounds, blood, heres a official trailer of it,

and then a current project they are working on:

what they are working on:

This game aint no Arma2 or OA, looks better ingame, and the gameplay is unbelievable I havent played since summer.

As for the idea i think the engine would have to be upgraded a bit to even do an MMORPG.

its challenging enough to render a ton of AI at once in a game, let alone alot of people.

I think the game is fine where its at and what is being done, ya it could use some fixes, and upgrades here and there,

but it sure as hell has come along way since OFP.

Um…yeah, ok. Have you guys played the rpmods like City Life 2, Chernarus Life or Zargabad Life? Most of those servers only hold like 40 people and yes I know the game's current engine could not handle 3000 people. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible with a different game engine a few years from now.

What I was suggesting would just be a big rpmod. But instead of playing as civilians like you do in CL2, CLR, CLU or ZL you could play as soldiers. From the reaction I'm seeing in these forums I take it you wouldn't want to RP as a soldier? If so, why not?

Yes, I've played lots of other mmorpgs and sure there are a lot of stupid kids on there spamming up the Trade Chat or LFG or griefing everyone in General Chat. But that doesn't mean a military-style mmorpg is a stupid idea or wouldn't work. You just gotta get the right people to play with and form squads to go on missions with.

By the way, I'm 36yo so I'm not one of those stupid kids…

Personally, I would love a continuous full scale war between the USMC/CDF vs. Russia/Chedaki vs. NAPA over all of Chernarus (or the Operation Arrowhead factions in Zargabad/Takistan). Having statsave so any progress you make each day gets saved and you can rank up and gain access to better equipment and tougher missions.

I just think it'd work and BIS could make plenty of money on subscription fees. Maybe you wouldn't, but I'd pay-to-play it and I'm sure some other people would too.

If someone wanted to do it as a mod, I'd be all for that too. Just tired of playing rpmods as a civ.

Chernarus Life: Conflict

Edited by kage74

Im sure somebody can do it as a mod.

But Arma3 as a MMORPG are you serious!? WTF? LOL! NO WAY! ROLF, GO PLAY SOME WOW, etc, etc, etc

No thanks. There are serious issues with the ArmA series that need fixing to increase realism + playability.

What I would like to see in an ArmA 3 (or paid addon):

1) Better, easier to use mission editor. Placing infantry in vehicles shouldn't have to be done via scripts. My suggestion would be that when you double click on a vehicle,there would be a "cargo" tab. In here, it lists how many slots are open for personnel, and how many there are total. It is often hard to remember such scripts or how many people can fit in every vehicle.

Another suggestion for the mission editor would be waypoint placing. In anyone has any version of LOMAC (and most likely DCS), for vehicles there is a waypoint mode which automatically sticks to roads. This way making a vehicle stay on a roads for an entire map can be done in a click of a button, with some slight adjustments with your mouse. Better than placing each and every single way point on the road manually, which takes forever.

2) Proper weapon animations. Animate and simulate the differences between a wet and dry reload. Make the reloading times realistic for each weapon. Reloading an M4 should be much quicker than reloading an M240.

If they can, go further and do all three reload animations like GRAW 1/2 PC does (GRAW allows you to shoot your weapon during a reload/when no magazine is in the weapon).

3) 3D scopes (look at Red Orchestra and Insurgency). The 2D scopes in ArmA feel very awkward and make aiming a pain. I prefer using iron sights/red dots in ArmA because of this.

4) Improved vehicle physics. Right now, the ground vehicles do not feel that realistic. I am not asking for simulation levels, but right now it feels like you are floating on air.

5) Better and quicker squad command menu. Look at SWAT 4 or Raven Shield. Much easier and more efficient.

6) Separate the fire mode selector from the weapon selection key. Very annoying.

7) Use RO's "mag feels heavy/light/empty" idea. You should be able to feel the difference in weight to tell if a mag still has a lot of bullets left or not. Much better than the ammo being displayed when reloading. While we're at it, lets put this in the corner of the screen rather than the center like it currently is.

8) Weapon resting on surfaces (see RO), bipods, flash lights.

9) Smarter AI. Self explanatory.

10) We should be able to move when holstering/upholstering a side arm.

11) When you're moving in ArmA 2, if you throw a grenade, your player will stop and have a grenade throwing animation. However, your player will not actually throw a grenade. Then he will. Annoying bug that should be fixed (should be done in a patch for free...)

12) Less bugs!

13) Door breaching with shotguns, modeling different types of ammo?

And there are plenty more I can think of. The series has potential, but series flaws hold it back from being a great game/sim. And turning it into an online RPG won't fix any of these issues... especially those of us who play offline.

Edited by Flogger23m

Good post Flogger23m, in response, i'd like to add or comment on some of what you listed:

1) Better, easier to use mission editor. Placing infantry in vehicles shouldn't have to be done via scripts.

Depends, if your a squad leader commanding Ai in the editor in each AI unit's can be set to be in cargo, you dont need scripts for this.

If you dont command there is a code cant recall it off the top of my head but i believe its moveincargo(classname) or something like that, but that jsut one way of many.

3) 3D scopes (look at Red Orchestra and Insurgency).

Played Ro myself since it started as a mod and I agree with you here, iron sights all the way, but in reality Arma2 like the other games

dont have all iron sites I mean alot of guns have their own scope ect,. but i see what you mean.

4) Improved vehicle physics. Right now, the ground vehicles do not feel that realistic. I am not asking for simulation levels,

but right now it feels like you are floating on air.

agreed, it seems that the vehilces have no actual weight or something, they respond in ways that make them seem

like they are lighter then what they actually are.

5) Better and quicker squad command menu. Look at SWAT 4 or Raven Shield. Much easier and more efficient.

I had mentioned this myself, but there is already a topic in the suggestions here that discuss this.

6) Separate the fire mode selector from the weapon selection key. Very annoying.

I dont see a problem , nor have I ever had a problem with it. My setup is mid mouse wheel i click to change weapons,

left button to fire, right mouse button to go to optics and zoom ect., I think for you its a matter of setting up your controls.

Nothing wrong with the controls, just got to get used to them and set them up that works best for you.

7) Use RO's "mag feels heavy/light/empty" idea. You should be able to feel the difference in weight to tell if a mag

still has a lot of bullets left or not. Much better than the ammo being displayed when reloading. While we're at it,

lets put this in the corner of the screen rather than the center like it currently is.

thats why theres mods, you must be playing the vanilla game, me I dont see any ammo counted, or mags. and center of screen?

what game are you playing? the ammo or weapon indicator was always on the top right.

8) Weapon resting on surfaces (see RO), bipods, flash lights.

Download ACE2 mod, but in general vanilla game this should be a give, I dont understand why in the vanilla game that if you

have a bipod on your sniper rifle lets say that it cannot e deployed and or stabilized once it is, this should be in the game.

10) We should be able to move when holstering/upholstering a side arm.

Im with you on this one, why your character stops, even in military and police they learn to unholster and shoot on the move,

this is nothing new so why is it not in the game to begin with.

11) When you're moving in ArmA 2, if you throw a grenade, your player will stop and have a grenade throwing animation.

However, your player will not actually throw a grenade. Then he will. Annoying bug that should be fixed (should be done in a patch for free...)

patch your game and upgrade to CO, and you wont have those issues.

outside of those which in a way has little to do with the topic being discussed but good points none the less.

Down the road it could be possible but as long as BIS games have been out I dont think it would go the MMO route it is possible but there would be alot to do.

Kage, think of it this way.

Does it accurately reflect military combat? No. Then it shouldn't be done. Hell Warfare was a huge mistake (IMO) for BIS to take the reigns on for ArmA2 because it was too far away from the original gameplay concept.

I dont think it matters tbh, I mean the game is centered on a military sim setting, but the potential of the game has made

it so moddable that to set limits to it would make the game like others.

You can still have your military sim and have your cake too :) OFP and Arma, and Arma2 has proven this to us,

let it evolve where we want but still maintain the military sandbox sim that it is.

I've got one word for all you haters: EVE.

They said that was impossible too, but somehow it works.

Its funny seeing most people instantly bash it, but the idea behind it is fairly popular in this community. How many servers are playing some form of sahrani or chenarus life? And the rest are mostly playing domination or evo... (Before you rage, I'm not counting private servers). Moving that from single, isolated, servers onto a cluster with missions that last over a longer period/persistant stats would be a challenge but certainly possible.

Edited by DM

I dont see a problem , nor have I ever had a problem with it. My setup is mid mouse wheel i click to change weapons,

left button to fire, right mouse button to go to optics and zoom ect., I think for you its a matter of setting up your controls.

Nothing wrong with the controls, just got to get used to them and set them up that works best for you.

You don't see a problem with one button that switches between fire modes, grenades, smoke grenades, IR strobes, satchel charges, mines and the grenade launcher? Nothing more annoying that trying to switch to your 203 and you end up tossing an IR strobe, or trying to plant a satchel and you throw a grenade.

Well considering I had the same setup since OFP started, and the control system hasn't changed much since then yes

I dont have a problem as Im very used to it and have a system that works for me well,

if there was a better system implemented or the system was changed then great.

Again there is already a topic discussing this in this forum.

ARMA3 MMORPG. Urm interesting idea but no thanks.

What will it be next turning us into the A-Team and crafting a tank from a few burn't out chinooks and 4x4 pickup and some duct tape.

Suggestions for me would be to make more use of the day and night that is that missions take days and nights to accomplish with use of digging in etc.

Someones going to tell me it has already been done aren't they... ;)

reposted

Edited by kot1k

2) Some easly usable method of conveing your intention to the teammates in close proximity WITHOUT using your voice. Like "tapping someones shoulder" in ACE2 mod, BUT no way you can use interaction menu here (like ACE2's feature does), cause its SO frequenly used option, that you have to have a hotkey for it, no other way

Like this

Touch Buddy Script (TBS)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9266

4) There is some problem with entering narrow doorways while straifing throug it, you just get stuck. There is also mod (but glitchy one) that mostly solve the problem with some dirty hack. Could it be solved on the main game level? The need to deal with 3rd party "pathces" is quite frustating.

no patches needed.

ShackTac Movement

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12540

5) Last, but not least - some easly usable hand signal system would be of great addition to the game.

like this:

SAM Hand Signals

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11483

this thread is really about the discussian of arma3 online, so lets try to stay on topic.

As i said before in this thread, keep the game the way as it is, of course upgrade things like we are suggesting.