Sign in to follow this  
AlienXXI

A-10 tips

I have been flying around in the A-10. I am able to fly it without crashing, but would like some tips on using the weapons. I assume when I click on TAB and then I hear a fast beep noise, that means I am locked on the target, right? Also, what does the GBU-12 weapon do and how do you accurately use it?

Point the cannon away from friendlies. :p

The GBU-12 is a LGB (Laser Guided Bomb), You need to get someone to designate the target for it, and you can lock onto that laser target to drop the bomb. The bomb will then track to the target.

Oh cool! I thought you used the Maverick and that other missile when someone used a laser, and I thought that the GBU-12 was one of those bombs that you just fly by and drop.

On a A-10 you have:

-AGM-65 Maverick

-AIM-9X Sidewinder

-GBU12

-FFAR

-GAU-8

The Maverick indeed has different targetting heads in real life, one of them indeed is laser guided. But ingame the IR head is used which means it locks on every recognised surface target.

The AIM-9X is a heatseeking Air-to-Air missile and used against any air target. Ingame it can also lock on ground targets but it is ineffective due to it's relatively small warhead. However, against a UAZ it might be used if no air targets are expected anymore.

The GBU-12 is a Mk-82 Frefall bomb, fitted with a laser targetting and guidance system. For accurate bombing it needs a buddy on the ground which marks the target with a laser designator. This way it can be used pretty effective against structures of any sort like fortifications.

Surely it can be used as simple freefall bomb aswell, accuracy then depends on the pilot skills. Steep diving angles usually results in better accuracy, just make sure you gained enough height prior to the dive to catch the A-10 before ground contact. ;)

The FFAR (Folding-fin aerial rocket) is a unguided weapon and pretty effective against soft targets and/or fortifications. Against armored targets it is less effective due to it's relative wide spread, slow fire rate (compared to the GAU-8) and small warhead. But pretty effective against Infantry and unarmored vehicles due to the indirect hits caused by the detonation.

The GAU-8 is the main weapon of the A-10. It's high rate of fire, the destructive energy of the projectiles and it's high accuracy makes it very effective against armored targets. Chose a long approach to have time to perfectly line up with the target. Use only short bursts to save ammunition and to correct your alignment to the target.

All in all, best to open up the editor and create yourself some training rounds to get used to it.

How do you get an AI to laze a target without getting it's stupid ass forcefully ventilated by an enemy tank?

How do you get an AI to laze a target without getting it's stupid ass forcefully ventilated by an enemy tank?

It's virtually impossible without scripting.

Taking away all his weapons and ordering him to Attack *might* do the trick.

ai will point the laser automatically if he has one and there's an a10 around. At least that's what he did the last time I tried it.

Here is a video of laser targeting and A-10 in Arma 2, sry for the sound and song

aV3xVVD4cNs

I was in a clan server earlier tonight and they allowed me to fly the A-10. Needless to say, I have a blast and blew some stuff up with all my weapons including the GBU-12. =D Very fun stuff.. I think that is going to be my thing, do nothing but practice and become a A-10 master and wreck havoc on the enemy. =D

One more question, someone said there was an AC130 in the game? I have yet to run in them, but are they fun to fly and are they the ones that are in MW2 that shoot out bombs from way above in the air?

Edited by AlienXXI

One more question, someone said there was an AC130 in the game? I have yet to run in them, but are they fun to fly and are they the ones that are in MW2 that shoot out bombs from way above in the air?

yeah, it's an addon. and you can fly it, be the gunner of it, or be on the ground and direct fire.

Flaps, Steep dive, GAU/8, Flares, Egress

Correct but disagrees with "Steep Dive"

According to official DCS A-10 Manual, A-10 is to attack between 20 - 30 degree down pitch for a Strafing Run.

Correct but disagrees with "Steep Dive"

According to official DCS A-10 Manual, A-10 is to attack between 20 - 30 degree down pitch for a Strafing Run.

Yeah not too steep... Unless you're dive bombing wich is handy for the Bombs if you have no spotter

Place an infantryman in the editor, and add this script to him. ;)

this addweapon "GAU-8"; this allowdamage false;

Now, you are the king of the battlefield. :yay:

I have been flying around in the A-10. I am able to fly it without crashing, but would like some tips on using the weapons. I assume when I click on TAB and then I hear a fast beep noise, that means I am locked on the target, right? Also, what does the GBU-12 weapon do and how do you accurately use it?

beep noise can be heard when you're useing lockable weapons.

Just take GBU12 as an example, switch this weapon and lock at the target, i.e. like an enemy T72. fly to it directly and be sure that you're in line with the target, then drop it when the distance is around 1000m between you and the target. Don't worry you may miss it for the bomb is inertail guidance and it can hit the target accurately. If you still have no idea about, you can see how AI A10 operate in intro.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Place an infantryman in the editor, and add this script to him. ;)

this addweapon "GAU-8"; this allowdamage false;

Now, you are the king of the battlefield. :yay:

Actually your attacking range is still not far enough though you're unarrived in close fight. lol.

Thanks by topic,

How is possible A10 launching a GBU-12 bomb flying 1000 meters in height? What's the distance of the launching? How is the calculation about this?

well in this game nothing works when it comes to air ...

In real life a10 has its own laser designator ... but in the game you need to have some guy on the ground laser designating targets for ya so you can lock them.

well in this game nothing works when it comes to air ...

In real life a10 has its own laser designator ... but in the game you need to have some guy on the ground laser designating targets for ya so you can lock them.

So, the problem for me is not the ground laser designator , but how to do the approaching of A10 to attack a target using a GBU-12 bomb.... altitude, "angle of attack", velocity, what the best values for to do this???:confused:

So, the problem for me is not the ground laser designator , but how to do the approaching of A10 to attack a target using a GBU-12 bomb.... altitude, "angle of attack", velocity, what the best values for to do this???:confused:

well, ok i see what you're talking about ...

You see that round crosshair when you select GBU,you need to have just above (not on ) target when you re close (500 m).

Go to editor and put some factories,then do some training it's more a question of habit than technic ...

Great!!

Very Thanks Tonci and Qazdar!!

Best regards

In real life a10 has its own laser designator.

The A-10A, which is modelled in A2:OA, does not have a laser designator. it arrived with the C model upgrades.