Sign in to follow this  
das attorney

All Round Defence

Brilliant stuff man. I always hated how outdated the formations in Arma still are...rarely does anybody move in a wedge like the default formation, and it always frustrated me as an American soldiers than there's no quick button "Give me 360 security!" something US soldiers are trained to do quickly.

Is there any way (userconfig?) that this could be modified so that the ARD option would appear in the list of default formations? (line, echelon, column)

Good question. I'm not sure myself to be honest.

I extracted the config for the commanding menu and this is what it is (abridged to cut out unnecessary stuff):

enum {

CMD_FORM_STAGCOL = 14,
CMD_FORM_ECHLEFT = 16,
CMD_FORM_WEDGE = 15,
CMD_FORM_DIAMOND = 20,
CMD_FORM_COLUMN = 13,
CMD_FORM_VEE = 18,
CMD_FORM_FILE = 21,
CMD_FORM_ECHRIGHT = 17,
CMD_FORM_LINE = 19,
};

class RscFormations : RscSubmenu {
title = $STR_FORMATION;
vocabulary = "";
items[] = {"Column", "Staggered", "Wedge", "EchL", "EchR", "Vee", "Line", "File", "Diamond", "Back"};

class Column {
	title = $STR_COLUMN;
	shortcuts[] = {2};
	command = CMD_FORM_COLUMN;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class Staggered {
	title = $STR_STAGGERED;
	shortcuts[] = {3};
	command = CMD_FORM_STAGCOL;
	show = "IsLeader";
};

class Wedge {
	title = $STR_WEDGE;
	shortcuts[] = {4};
	command = CMD_FORM_WEDGE;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class EchL {
	title = $STR_ECHL;
	shortcuts[] = {5};
	command = CMD_FORM_ECHLEFT;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class EchR {
	title = $STR_ECHR;
	shortcuts[] = {6};
	command = CMD_FORM_ECHRIGHT;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class Vee {
	title = $STR_VEE;
	shortcuts[] = {7};
	command = CMD_FORM_VEE;
	show = "IsLeader";
};

class Line {
	title = $STR_LINE;
	shortcuts[] = {8};
	command = CMD_FORM_LINE;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class File {
	title = $STR_FILE;
	shortcuts[] = {9};
	command = CMD_FORM_FILE;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};

class Diamond {
	title = $STR_DIAMOND;
	shortcuts[] = {10};
	command = CMD_FORM_DIAMOND;
	show = "IsLeader";
	speechId = 0;
};
};

So I'm guessing that these commands are some sort of hardcoded variables within the game. I'm not sure where the code for these resides. Possibly detailed in this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?130434-Formation-configuration

I haven't really checked it out though, although it would be really cool if a new child/inherited class could be assigned to one of the default options. I've played about with changing some of the commanding menu config, but without great success. I'll have to spend some time seeing if it's possible, but knowing my work rate, it could take a few months. I'm just getting into configs and need a lot more practice. The problem with configging is that unless you know what you're doing, you have to boot the game up, make a change - reboot and hope it doesn't crash. Repeat ad infinitum and you get an idea of why it can be frustrating. So much easier to modify scripts than configs imo.

To be more honest, I'm more interested in manipulating the default commands like:

CMD_GETIN
CMD_NOTARGET
CMD_POS_UP
CMD_POS_DOWN
CMD_POS_MIDDLE
CMD_POS_AUTO
CMD_SELECT_AUTO
CMD_SELECT_AUTO_ADD
CMD_DESELECT_AUTO
CMD_COMBAT
CMD_AWARE
CMD_SAFE 
CMD_STEALTH

I have had no success trying to use these, probably because I don't know the syntax (yet). It would be really useful though as CMD_POS_AUTO != _unit setUnitPos "AUTO"; for example.

I'll do some more digging, when I get time. I think Sakura Chan is working on a new user interface, which looks really exciting so that might be something to keep an eye on. To be honest, the stuff going on in Sakura's thread is way above my skills and looks to overhaul the whole UI for AI control, wheras ARD started out as a little supplement and has grown from there.

I do what I can and learn as I go along. Maybe by the time Arma 3 comes out, I'll know this stuff in my sleep lol.

EDIT: If anyone can chip in with useful info, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited by Das Attorney

• UI shouldn't corrupt now if game is saved and reloaded

Well, I have that error when using either script and addon version. It says version 2.0 in the readme, so, wrong version? If so... where to download? Any workarounds?

Thx in advance and sorry for bad english, I'm allways late when looking for support! Fantastic addon anyway, thx to the maker!

Glad you're getting some use out of it :)

I have a new version that's been kicking around on my HD - It's been so long since I did anything with this I still need to check all the fixes work. Will dig it out, package it up and release within the next week or so.

EDIT: Are you using the addon version? Please post up the error (in your rpt file) and I'll have a look for you.

Glad you're getting some use out of it :)

I have a new version that's been kicking around on my HD - It's been so long since I did anything with this I still need to check all the fixes work. Will dig it out, package it up and release within the next week or so.

EDIT: Are you using the addon version? Please post up the error (in your rpt file) and I'll have a look for you.

Glad to see the project still alive. ^^

I'm using both script and addon version with same result, once you load a previous saved game, UI disapears. Didn't found any RPT file in my Arma folders, sorry for that.

Thanks for you hard work on this mod and sharing. I'd be interested to use an updated version of this mod. I used it alot, initially but stopped when it didn't work with ASR-AI.

Thanks for you hard work on this mod and sharing. I'd be interested to use an updated version of this mod. I used it alot, initially but stopped when it didn't work with ASR-AI.

+1

Great mod but doesn't seem to work properly or, often, at all with asr_ai v1.16.1 (addon version).

+100

Wait for the new version

Hey guys.

I am having a bit of a problem with this... When ever i move around or try to get my people into a car, they form 360 every 30 secounds or so, which is a major pain since they bearly get into the car before jumping out again. Any idears?