Sign in to follow this  
das attorney

All Round Defence

I did put out a version 1.2 but I've had to recall it for now as there was a bug introduced. Very sorry to all who downloaded it. The links are all put back to Version 1.1, which works :)

I've PM'd Foxhound and asked him to roll back as well.

EDIT: Thanks Foxhound :)

Edited by Das Attorney

Really a missing formation type, great idea! BIS should implement that one.

- If you go out of the formation boundary, your men will automatically regroup.

I don't think that this is always useful. There are situations when I want to scout ahead alone, while knowing that my squad is digged in.

If you go out of the formation boundary, your men will automatically regroup.

I don't think that this is always useful. There are situations when I want to scout ahead alone, while knowing that my squad is digged in.

Thanks for the suggestion. The first version didn't auto regroup but it was put in for Version 1.1. I can see how it would be useful for scouting purposes to not auto regroup, so I'll include two pbo versions in the next version; one with auto regroup and one without. The script version will be documented so mission makers can choose.

I'd rather do that than choose one way over the other. It seems people have different expectations and preferences so I'll try and cater for all. :)

hey Das Attorney,

Loving this. Is it possible to release it as a script version ?

Cheers mate!

Kremator

hey Das Attorney,

Loving this. Is it possible to release it as a script version ?

Cheers mate!

Kremator

Hasn't there always been a script version? ;)

Indeed! ;)

It's in the test missions for Utes and Takistan. Just copy the ARD folder, description.ext and init.sqf into your mission folder. Edit the onKeyPress.sqf dikCode to whatever you want your hotkey to be. (instructions in the script).

Sorry .... brain not working. Full of the cold :(

All good bud. I hope you feel better soon.

WIP Update:

Note: I've really been working on how smoothly units fall into formation.

Expected changelog.

• There will be a control to order your men to stay, in case you want to scout ahead. Thx to Trapper for the idea :)
  • The script has been refined so that there is no need to disable the menu during transitions from one radius to a different one. You can literally click from one radius to the next (or whichever) fluidly and the script won't fail. This is a massive breakthrough for me and makes the menu much quicker to use effectively.
  • Units will now make their way to their positions and then crouch independent of each other. No need for blanket setUnitPos command. Much smoother effect, rather than your troops crouching halfway through getting into position, or getting to their positions and then waiting until the crouch command activates..

I really need to playtest the shit out of this before it's packaged up, but please keep any comments coming - user feedback is really helping to make this better :)

Edited by Das Attorney

NEW VERSION RELEASED!

See updated first page for more details

Changelog:

• Added support for squad vehicles.
  • Squad deploys faster into ARD than in previous versions.
  • Issuing the orders in quick succession no longer a massive fail.
  • squad sizes of up to 20 units now supported.
  • Squad spacings automatically adjusted to take into account the number of units.
  • New hot-key added to order squad into ARD without the menu.
  • Vehicle gunners will now scan horizon and remain inside vehicle when ARD is ordered.
  • Vehicle gunners deploy smoke if vehicle is damaged or any of squad killed.
  • Most of the 'skeetdisk' objects not needed now - Only one for the player and one for each of the gunners.
  • Squad members will throw a smoke grenade if injured.
  • If night time, units with grenade launchers fire flares to illuminate enemy forces. (Demonized).
  • ECHO artillery added.
  • Added support for different languages.
  • Precompiled most of the code for better performance.
  • Fixed numerous bugs.
  • Units in player issued "STOP" mode now respond to ARD.

Download here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20006042/All_Round_Defence_7z

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

[/color]Just found a little bug - if you are using the AI shootflare scripts then GL equipped units are ineligible to carry backpacks. I'm not sure why at this point, but I should have a fix soon.

In the meantime, if you want GL units to be able to carry backpacks then set:

ARD_ai_flares = 0;

in the userconfig.

Edited by Das Attorney

This looks like it will be really useful. Been wanting something like this for a while. Thanks

I do have a question though. I have been asking since i started playing this game. Squad formations. Where can I find them in Arma2? As far as pbo's? I have been wanting to play around with new formations but I can't figure out where the pbo is that holds all the info on formations. Any help? Please?

Thanks

Works great! Although when I played the demo mission when the squad was under fire there was a moment when they spammed "THROWING SMOKE" in the chat and I imagine wouldn't have stopped saying it for the rest of the mission if ACE didn't silence them entirely.

Squad formations. Where can I find them in Arma2? As far as pbo's? I have been wanting to play around with new formations but I can't figure out where the pbo is that holds all the info on formations. Any help? Please?

I don't know either. All of this is done with Trigonometry. There wasn't really a need to check the formation dynamically so I didn't poke around in the default behaviour to do research. I think it's all defined in FSM's. Not sure where they reside though. If you want to PM me what you want to do, I'll see if I can help.

Works great! Although when I played the demo mission when the squad was under fire there was a moment when they spammed "THROWING SMOKE" in the chat and I imagine wouldn't have stopped saying it for the rest of the mission if ACE didn't silence them entirely.

lol yeah that happened to me a couple of times as well. It seemed to clear up but was a bit random when I was trying to fight. I think it's the way I've wrote the check to know if the unit is injured. I might have to put some sort of variable in to check it over a set amount of time instead. Thanks for bringing it up - it's on the TO DO list. Good to hear it's working okay(ish) with ACE though.

I've got to fess up on something - There's actually a massive bug in this version, (which is down to my sloppy coding). It basically means if you climb up a building and order ARD, the menu will disappear for the rest of the mission.

I've fixed it but want to check it through before I post a new version up here tomorrow. I'd feel bad if I keep posting up fixes piecemeal and good people like Foxhound have to keep updating their mirrors.

Cheers for the comments guys :)

DA:

1. Congrats on the releases.

2. Did you see my recent PM to you about the chat issues? Would like to help resolve this.

Wow Das this is fantastic! I used the first version(s) in my WIP missions and these new features are greatly welcome. Thank you!

Edit:

Question, what are the skeet disks used for? I don't see the in the example mission. Is this CSW thing for use with the ACE2 CSW? Is there a set up involved. I added ARD to a mission that has some of my AI squad members equipped with the bags but they don't do anything if I use the ARD menu. Do they have to be placed?

Sorry if I missed explainations about these in the file but I couldn't find anything.

Edited by Manzilla

Glad it's working out for you :)

The "skeetdisk" generated by the script is a point about which the squad members will be moved relative to. Originally, the squad members were ordered to places around the player, but if the player then moved off immediately after ordering them into ARD, some of the men would go to directions relative to the players new location - resulting in some sad looking excuses for formations.

Don't worry though, it's invisible and it shouldn't be anything for the end user to worry about. I only mentioned it in case you are using it in a mission that uses skeetdisks for other purposes as All Round Defence may delete them inadvertently.

CSW works like this:

1) If you have equipped one of your men with a broken down weapon, for example:

this addWeapon "M252_US_Bag_EP1";

And another man with a tripod for it, eg:

this addWeapon "Tripod_Bag";

Then order your men into All Round Defence and then click on 'CSW Deploy'. Your two men will drop their bags off 4 meters in front of you, build the mortar and then run back into formation.

The CSW Breakdown button works like this:

Go to an empty CSW (it must be one from OA, Arma 2 ones can't be broken down), then order your squad into ARD. Then press 'CSW Breakdown'. The script will work out which of your men can carry a backpack (does not hold MG, is not medic, does not have an AT Launcher etc). As long as there are 2 men able to carry backpacks, they will breakdown the nearest CSW to them and carry the bags on their back. You can then deploy the CSW later by clicking on 'CSW Deploy' while in ARD.

Note: Arma 2 units can't carry backpacks, you must use units from OA (eg Taki, US, BAF etc)

It's just a convenience thing really, so you don't have to issue lots of orders manually. There are sidechat messages that tell you if there is a problem (eg Not enough units free to carry the bags, units are not in ARD).

The sandbags are something I haven't looked at yet as they are more of an ACE specific thing.

Hope that helps :)

Wow! this is Ausome Das Attorney, originally when I first seen this on Armaholic front page I really didn't look at it

and thought it was just a mission at first maybe because of the screenshot, but I looked into it further and tried it out,

its fun and makes for more tactical and interesting game.

thanks for creating this!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Good to see people get some use out of this.

originally when I first seen this on Armaholic front page I really didn't look at it

and thought it was just a mission at first maybe because of the screenshot, but I looked into it further and tried it out,

its fun and makes for more tactical and interesting game.

lol, I know exactly what you mean. It's really hard to describe what this mod actually does. I'd like to do a showcase /tutorial video so people can see what it's actually about. Might take me some time though.

Some good news though. The flare system has had a complete overhaul. I wanted to get Demonized's flares in there on the last update, but then as soon as I released it, I found a massive bug where any unit's with the A2 weapons used in the AI Flare scripts then would not be included in the eligible units to carry and deploy CSW's - which rendered the two features incompatible.

Done:

• Grenadiers keep their own weapon. (Not replaced with M16A2GL or AK74GL anymore).
  • They will only fire if white flares are in their inventory.
  • Units are now more frugal with flares.
  • No more flare spammage if you decide to advance.

Not yet implemented:

• If units run out of flares, they will work with the script again if they pick up more white flares.
  • Different behaviour based on combat mode.

Now all you need is to integrate a Medevac script with healer (ala Goliaths Medevac Module) and you are sorted :)