Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Tell me about lag and an upgraded net code

will the better net code that comes with resistance reduce lag in multi-player and generally make things run better? Explain what exactly a new net code will do

Aculaud, better ask yourself.

Will a better netcode be better than a worser?

wink.gif

I think it's the reason, why they are changing the netcode.

biggrin.gif

~S~ CD

..........yeah, that would seem to hold water, lol

The current netcode is based on DirectX. The developers (Suma et al.) have stated severtal times that the Directx choice was a wrong one for several reasons, one of them being not possible to have dedicated servers running on Linux machines (for obvious reasons, DirectX=Windows). Another reason is simply that netcode based on DirectX suxs big time, as you can see by youself when playing OFP on multiplayer.

What I am expecting to see is a new netcode not based on DirectX but based on winsocks. That will give us less lag and hopefully dedicated Linux severs, which will (hopefully) significally increase the number of dedicated servers.

I hope you will be able to test new netcode soon - "OFP MP Test" is being prepared for you. I cannot tell when it will be released, but it will not be far from now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ May 07 2002,14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope you will be able to test new netcode soon - "OFP MP Test" is being prepared for you. I cannot tell when it will be released, but it will not be far from now.<span id='postcolor'>

Yay!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ May 07 2002,14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hope you will be able to test new netcode soon - "OFP MP Test" is being prepared for you. I cannot tell when it will be released, but it will not be far from now.<span id='postcolor'>

Suma, you just made my day, my week, my month, my semester and until Resistance is released my year!!! smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

Can't wait to get my hands on the test netcode. Oh well, there goes my social life down the drain again....

Test Netcode, Test Netcode, Test Netcode....  wink.gif

*awake himself in all his study paper*

MP netcode test very soon ? sad.gif

Hey guys ll u believe if the french administration ll take the excuse for a job not done "Sorry guy i was testing a new MP netcode"? smile.gif

Goes without saying, that is great news!

Suma, thats great news smile.gif Now that DirectPlay is being dropped could there be a possibility for a Linux dedicated server in the near future...?

Excellent!! Suma ...can we assume that the Dedicated Server Software will also be a part of this "test" ?

YES! Please release a Linux Version... pretty please! smile.gif

Server version only is needed... no need to rework the whole game for linux as this is not required.

<---Doing a happy Irish jig on top of a midget's head singing the saftey dance while swinging around a sign saying "MP TEST!"

every1 clap for Suma and bis at the same time now.

I'm shaking from anticipation.

Hope the new netcode will be playable trough a NAT, so the "original lan party, since 25.3.2002" at my house will have something other to play besides DoD and Q3NS.

when? when? when? when?

Suma. YOU GOTTA HAVE ME AS A TESTER! I HAVE 56K MODEM!!

I don't want to hope...i WANT it!

This may be a stupid question since I have no idea about how networks and stuff like that work, but is the new netcode going to boost LAN games speed? That would be so awesome wink.gif. Great news anyway, BIS has once gain done it for the community biggrin.gif.

Now the question is, in what form will we get this new MP netcode test. I mean, are we going to get a stand alone Demo with the netcode, similar to the first MP public demo, or will it be a beta patch for ofp like the 1.26, 1.27 and 1.29 beta patches?

I can't wait to get my hands on it either way!!

Bets anyone? biggrin.gif

" I mean, are we going to get a stand alone Demo with the netcode, similar to the first MP public demo, or will it be a beta patch for ofp like the 1.26, 1.27 and 1.29 beta patches"

And if you do release a beta patch, will it be possible to run both instances of OFP? I mean, will a server be able to host both an officialy patched server and then a beta patched server?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And if you do release a beta patch, will it be possible to run both instances of OFP? I mean, will a server be able to host both an officialy patched server and then a beta patched server?<span id='postcolor'>

Hopefully not. If the server is able to host both that would mean that the new netcode is not so different from the old one since they would be compatible and that is no good.

I want to see a whole new netcode. I really think that is what this game needs to make it even bigger....

My guess would be that it will be in the form of a patch...I would imagine you can either choose to update or not, but I cant really see anyone NOT trying it out.