Sign in to follow this  
undercoverbrother

what does arma stand for?

What does it stand for? I've never really noticed, I've had the game about 3 months now and its great; but I'm completely oblivious as to what arma actually stands for.

thanks,

I think its just the latin word that means weapon or something...

I think its just the latin word that means weapon or something...

Just LOL!

That was true for the first game but not anymore.

Yes it is, they just can't be bothered to put it on the box. ArmA II = Armed Assault II and they picked the ArmA because it's also the latin word for weapons, armaments.

I mean just look at the logo and the way they write it. ArmA two capital A's and that is not because it's just a latin word ;)

Edited by Targavision

I saw a quote on one of the total war loading screens - a latin phrase that when translated just underneath the original had the word meaning "war". A quote by Tacitus if I remember right.

I suppose the like many words, across all languages its meaning can be conveyed in slightly different terms by the context it is placed. But the emaning of Arma is clear. Guns and Waaaggghhh!

Yes it is, they just can't be bothered to put it on the box. ArmA II = Armed Assault II and they picked the ArmA because it's also the latin word for weapons, armaments.

I mean just look at the logo and the way they write it. ArmA two capital A's and that is not because it's just a latin word ;)

Wrong, its not ArmA2, its Arma 2, ARMA 2 or ARMAII.

A nice article explaining it all can be found here:

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/129-arma-2-the-name-tale

Yes it is, they just can't be bothered to put it on the box.

No it isn't. The CEO of the damn company said it isn't, so it isn't.

cheers everyone for your answes. I read that article; so it started off as armed assault then was adopted into the latin to avoid sounding cliche. You know what, it easily could of been something like - operation thunderstike force battleshock troopers call of destroy and smash things - just like all the other titles out there but wheres the originality in that? I prefer the latin arma as the name, its more unique

Edited by undercoverbrother

I have to admit, right up until this very minute I considered it Armed Assault 2, which I usually write as ArmA2. So now I guess I will use Arma2 :)

I much prefer the name ArmA to Armed Assault.

Armed Assault sounded cheesy. :p

You're not kidding anyone. The game is Arma 2 only because the predecessor was called Armed Assault, or ArmA for short.

I was merely reacting to the LOLed response for latin ;)

I was merely reacting to the LOLed response for latin

Very nice 1.

Made me a silent smilie on work.

I was merely reacting to the LOLed response for latin ;)

This ArmA / Arma Latin renaming is really "LOLable" IMHO. I'm sure you Czech guys would find something actually meaning something in Czech with OFP:CWC letters (only one vowel and 5 consonants, should do the trick :D).

ArmA is also gun or weapon in Portuguese.

The same in Italian, since it's decending from Latin.

kind regards

The same in Italian, since it's decending from Latin.

kind regards

In French too (precisely "Arme"), but a game named "weapon" isn't really sounding better than "Armed assault".