Sign in to follow this  
undercoverbrother

what does arma stand for?

Actually the Latin "Arma" is a little looser than just "weapon" like it is today in all the latin-derived languages...

In Roman days it could more generally mean "Warfare" (which was actually "bellum" if spoken about specifically), or, more like "Force of Arms"... the original quote a few people have mentioned is actually by Virgil...

Arma virumque cano.- I sing of arms and a man.

The opening line of the Aeneid - basically the Romans history of themselves, and how they came to be founded - by Trojan refugees - through the efforts of one man - Aeneas, and by "Force of Arms/War"...

(big adventure story - well worth a read!)

If the Romans sent out "Arma et virii" to some place, they weren't sending a few blokes with some wagonloads of swords - they basically meant The Legions - "The War Machine" - "The Armed Forces"... with the secondary implication that they weren't there for a holiday!

Though in the another sense "arma" was a sort of blanket term for "Weapons of War" as well - as in the actual material items collectively - and non-specifically, since they all had individual names too...

Heres another quote by Cicero (whose name, incidentally, means "chickpea nose" - who says the Romans had no sense of humour :D) - well known for talking a lot and fainting when being asked to actually hold a sword (he was a bigwig lawyer)

"Silent enim leges inter arma"

This basically means - when theres a war on, people pay less attention to the letter of the law... "Laws are silent in times of war"...

But notice how he doesn't use "bellum" for "war", basically because its not a specific actual war he's talking about, its just "Times Of War" in general...

Usually Ciceros cue to go hide in one of his country villas till it blows over :)

It's a plural word, by the way... just to complicate things a little further :D

(you can tell this stuff is my RL job ;) I'll talk all afternoon unless I shut up right now!)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I guess they need to change the forum headers then. They still say "ArmA 2 & OA".

Edited by Johan S

The same in Italian, since it's decending from Latin.

kind regards

Arma means chariot or tank in greek.Quite similar meaning also.

ArmA, with the capital As, is a stylization and a brand trademark. It is not necessarily denoting some kind of weird contraction. It is probably also a hold over from Armed Assault, but visually it has a certain rhythm and symmetry.

ArmA: Armed Assault was a clever play on words. If you read bushlurker's post you can see why. The meaning of Armed Assault doesn't actually change very much if contracted to ArmA. I think they dropped the Armed Assault part because it's a bit of a cliche and a pleonasm. I think the latin term Arma represents the brand better at any rate.

As DM said, the CEO of the company said they dropped the Armed Assault moniker, therefore, ArmA 2 is not Armed Assault 2.

As DM said, the CEO of the company said they dropped the Armed Assault moniker, therefore, ArmA 2 is not Armed Assault 2.

Arghhh, its Arma 2!!! or ARMA 2 or ARMAII.

You are just feeding the major confusion :D

;)

No, you're both wrong. Arma is a gyro compass :p Okay, I seriously didn't expect to find that... If it had to be an ab., my vote goes to "World Society Of Dsylexctic People", or Arma for short :D

Edited by CarlGustaffa

"INTER ARMA ENIM SILENT LEGES" says it pretty good!

"ARMA" is the word for the process of war in this latin proverb...modern: "warfare".

"In warfare the laws keep silence!"

Edited by Ulanthorn

I emailed five gamingsites at the A2 release and got em all to change the name from Armed Assault 2 to Arma 2 in their databases.

I actually think it was kind of annoying.

In French too (precisely "Arme"),

Which Im guessing is related to the english "armed". And then we are back full circle:D

Edited by sparks50

Which Im guessing is related to the english "armed". And then we are back full circle:D

The english term is probably derived from the french. In which case, they both come from the latin. The french certainly does.