Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Fallujah City

;1778091']Grid is all ok' date=' it's the trigger which uses radius/distance from middle rather than diameter/side lenght for dimensions... So if you place 500m trigger you have to multiply by 2 to have exact size of it.[/quote']

right so isnt the map 1/2 size since the grids are 500x500?

Nah, the grids are 1000^2... Just the triggers are 2 times smaller. ;]

;1778148']Nah' date=' the grids are 1000^2... Just the triggers are 2 times smaller. ;']

Problem is the trigger is actually 2X not 1/2X

I really hope the new version will include some more variety and detail like trees from AA2 and OA (mid-east isn't all palms after all), grass from AA2 and OA, and OA buildings. And less empty space.

Been playing some missions on this map - pretty good but needs that detail.

This is a BETA ... it means it is NOT finished.

As this is a massive project it will take time.

Having been PM'd several times by several people on the subject of Domination Fallujah, I've spent a fair bit of time on this map in the last couple of days and I have to say I'm enormously impressed! Particularly impressive is the decent framerates on my by now ageing rig - with how many thousand buildings?? Unbelievable!

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, since we bitched so loud and long about how heavy they were at the time ;), but the slightly lower-poly Arma 1 buildings and vegetation are ideal for this enormous, sprawling urban style of map... I'm not sure about OA vegetation as yet (a new tree shader, but I haven't done any performance comparisons so far), but one surefire way to devastate performance is to add a million Arma 2 trees - (did it on my own map - swiftly removed them again) - so I'd be a bit wary of adding too much in the way of A2 veg...

As far as OA buildings are concerned... well, the jury is still out on the "performance" front (I remember Icebreakr mentioning he reckoned the buildings themselves weren't too bad, it was the "terrain cell detail" (the "bumpiness" resolution of the ground) thats been increased in Takistan... another FPS-killer- they look lovely of course, and perhaps wouldn't be entirely out of place in the suburbs here and there maybe, but mudbrick is a building material of last resort... Fallujah was a fairly affluent city at one time - it's just taken a hammering over a very long period of time and nobodys really been picking up the pieces... the general look is one of adequate quality but serious neglect, rubble, and the occasional "new build" being done with concrete when available, and reused stuff like corrugated iron, etc when not...

Also, on a more technical note - we don't really have tools to suit OA yet - the buildings and objects need individually hex-edited just to make them useable, and the OA roads aren't really useable at all in the standard way - so far... BIS will catch up eventually - they always do!, but in the meantime, OA stuff = significant additional fuss...

So personally, I think Shezan has made all the right choices so far on the models front - the framerates speak for themselves...

I've no doubt that this map is going to turn out to be a Classic... sure theres areas still lying empty - it's a Beta, like Kremator says - theres a lot more still to come! plus - last time I spoke to Shezan, he'd just spent the evening placing bus-stops, of all things! - across the whole city, in believable and logical places!...and he has plans for all sorts of garbage and miscellaneous stuff which will all really add to the "people actually live here" impression - which is what it's all about...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Man, i gotta return to mission making, this ones just too awesome.

Too bad that university and Left 4 Dead 2 soak up all my time :D

Too bad that university and Left 4 Dead 2 soak up all my time :D

Im missing lectures to give this a blast now :D

Great work by looks of things matey many thanks.

Hi,

The map seems to stop loading and OA goes into Not Responding whe you add a player 'us' and try view map? :confused:

Only other mod loaded is Sound (Jarhead) and BAF

Works for me - even with loads of addons and mods...

Merged zargabad warfare to this as well. A lot of fun! its up on my server atm, "United States Combined OP's".

I hope benny makes an "official" version. :) Until then, my merged version works great.

Again, great work on this map.

Gonna check out insurgency too, thanks pogoman. Maybe I will have a warfare/insurgency fallujah rotation. lol

I'm getting a "data file too short error", is this mission file supposed to go in OA or A2 Vanilla? I've got the fallujah add-on in my A2 vanilla folder.

Put the @fallujah folder into the OA folder. If running combined ops through steam you need to edit the batch file that runs CO to start the mod.

Don't forget theres 2 things to download for fallujah. Need the objects package as well.

Put the @fallujah folder into the OA folder. If running combined ops through steam you need to edit the batch file that runs CO to start the mod.

Don't forget theres 2 things to download for fallujah. Need the objects package as well.

No, it's the Fallujah Insurgency mission that's giving me the error not the Fallujah add-on itself. Just been to your sever btw (name was TJX) and the add-on was working fine. Also tried out one other mission for the Fallujah add-on and that worked fine too.

not sure mate, never heard of that error. works fine for me :/

Hmm, downloaded it again, and this time it worked. Must have got corrupted during the first download. Anyways, this has potential to be just as awesome as Zargabad and Takistan Insurgency. Hope more players will get this add-on.

the map is great but the ground textures seem a really green for fallujah. the ground is really a very dull tan sand and dirt combo. just google earth fallujah or just type in on google "fallujah satellite image". now that the buildings are in place maybe you could change the ground texture so when flying we cant see the satellite image of the buildings that are part of the texture.

Edit out all houss in that whole texture? Bad idea i think. Besides when buildings are too far for the object detail when flying you still see "buildings" which you wouldnt if he "removed" them from the texture.

Great map with superb performance.

Hand fixing the whole 10.000x10.000 texture removing by hand each building?

No problem, it will be ready for ArmA3, i'm working for having an early-alpha version, stay tuned :)

By the way the whole new airport area is nearly finished, we've reworked some areas outside of the city and fixed some issues for the 1.0 release. Also performances will be slightly improved due some trees optimizations and clutter density rework when playing as infantry.

:D at editing out all houses. Would love to see that one hehe.

1.0 version sounds great shezan! Already superb performance so if you can squeeze out some more FPS then great (god knows we need it). :)

Top notch work guys.