Well then, the simplest way to do it would be to use the rearm action.

soldierOne action ["rearm", ammoTruckOne]

Tell me if i'm off again.

Not for what I'm trying to do because I won't specifically know about "ammoTruckOne". Also, it may not be an ammotruck but rather just a single piece of ammo stashed somewhere on the map.

But, rather than continuing to clog up the ASR AI thread, my original thread question on this is here. Someone suggested to checkout ASR AI and although it is extremely well written and works for particular situations it doesn't seem to be a fit for what I need.

It is a pretty specific case for a mission I am working on so again, see my thread.

Yep, saw that, i'll answer there if i find anything not ASR related.

I just did a quick test though, using only ASR_AI, and had a four-guys US unit have a waypoint towards two ammoboxes (Us Basic Ammo and US Basic Weapons). It took them around 7 seconds to walk up to the ammocrates and rearm. First two guys, then a few seconds later, the two others.

they were first stripped of their weapons this way:

this setVehicleAmmo 0; removeAllWeapons this;

Edit: actually did this again, if i start counting from the moment the whole fireteam got to the waypoint, it took them at most 1 second to move to the ammocrates.

Edited by BlackMamb

Hmmm, I will do some more testing then. It could be totally coincidental that you are getting lucky as to when the sleep timers run out and AI do their checks or perhaps the timer is only at the very beginning of the start of the mission. My test had the unit move maybe 10 meters into the middle of 6 ammo crates and it took 4 minutes before he moved to pickup weapons.

I will setup a more elaborate test for my purposes.

Using this mode I am lying on a hill (bare from vegetation) and I take a (non silenced) sniper shot from prone position against a UAV with a mounted machine gun situated 900m away. It is daylight. Within seconds from the 1st shot (which misses) the machin gun is turned towards me and firing at me with amazing accuracy. Is this superhuman AI reaction "normal" (AI skill is set as per recommended settings)

That's pretty much vanilla AI behavior. Realistically, the gunner could have seen your muzzle flash and recoil dust; in the game this possibility becomes certainty (although only if he is already looking in your direction), and the mechanical mind of the AI can identify an exact point in the distance.

ASR probably extends this excessive AI ability to longer ranges, but in vanilla that long-range heavy weapon would have been effectively blind and deaf too all creation, so I call it a win overall.

Your "realistic" explanation is, I believe, exagerated ;) 900m is a very long distance (I need max magnification to be able to shoot) for someone to spot a single muzzle flash, let alone a shooter with camo blending with the terrain.

Dust from a sniper could be visible. The AI doesn't actually see you, they identify a position where your weapon is, and then fire (too) accurately at that. You could have crawled or probably even ran away. And was the technical the only unit on the map, or was there someone with scopes or binoculars directing their fire?

Using this mode I am lying on a hill (bare from vegetation) and I take a (non silenced) sniper shot from prone position against a UAV with a mounted machine gun situated 900m away. It is daylight. Within seconds from the 1st shot (which misses) the machin gun is turned towards me and firing at me with amazing accuracy. Is this superhuman AI reaction "normal" (AI skill is set as per recommended settings)

You mean UAZ ? Got me really confused, because those Sputnik UAVs with PKs can't hit anything AFAIK. Providing your test scenario would be more helpful.

Try adjusting gunshothearing in userconfig lower it to 0.8 (or even 0 to disable it alltogether), also enable debug with gunshothearing_debug = 1 then check the hint when you fire the weapon.

---------- Post added at 04:47 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Hmmm, I will do some more testing then. It could be totally coincidental that you are getting lucky as to when the sleep timers run out and AI do their checks or perhaps the timer is only at the very beginning of the start of the mission. My test had the unit move maybe 10 meters into the middle of 6 ammo crates and it took 4 minutes before he moved to pickup weapons.

I will setup a more elaborate test for my purposes.

Because there's a lot of scripting involved, the cycles are not very tight, all groups are processed every 15 seconds, with 1 sec pause between groups, only half of the group rearms at a time and only 1 in 4 inventory checks they look for launcher, sidearm, grenades and optics. AI in player's group make an exception and rearm a lot more often.

Because there's a lot of scripting involved, the cycles are not very tight, all groups are processed every 15 seconds, with 1 sec pause between groups, only half of the group rearms at a time and only 1 in 4 inventory checks they look for launcher, sidearm, grenades and optics. AI in player's group make an exception and rearm a lot more often.

Makes sense to what I'm seeing. I'm attempting to use this in a very non-standard way so once again ASR AI as is probably isn't a good fit to what I need although there are certain components of it that would be extremely useful.

Robalo, I think I sent you a private message regarding this. Have a look please when you get a chance.

Rob, there seems to be a slight config conflict between ASR_AI and CWR² Demo4 in regards to weapons. The M21 SWS are not showing up in the weapons list nor in the missions using it when ASR_AI is enabled. I was using the latest 1.16 beta with CO build 96895/97028 and upgraded yesterday to the release version, but no change. Could you please look into this? I could make a ticket if you prefer it that way ...

TIA.

see CIT ticket here: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/51181

Edited by Guess Who
CIT ticket added

Need some help with configuring. In an earlier post there were recommended settings for recruit, regular etc. For regular (my level) they were:

SkillFriendly = 1;

SkillEnemy = 0.7;

PrecisionFrinedly = 1;

PrecisionEnemy = 0.5;

I have it installed properly and it is working for me, but I have been looking all through the dta Config and can't find these specific settings. Could someone help me with their location?

Thanks

If you are talking about ASR AI skills setting then you need to look in:

your Arma2 directory/userconfig/asr_ai/asr_ai_settings.hpp

If you don't have that file then you haven't installed correctly. It should be obvious once looking in that file for the skill sets.

Need some help with configuring. In an earlier post there were recommended settings for recruit, regular etc. For regular (my level) they were:

SkillFriendly = 1;

SkillEnemy = 0.7;

PrecisionFrinedly = 1;

PrecisionEnemy = 0.5;

I have it installed properly and it is working for me, but I have been looking all through the dta Config and can't find these specific settings. Could someone help me with their location?

Thanks

Boy...I need some help. I do have my asr-ai_settings.hpp HHP file installed as Delta99 suggested (your Arma2 directory/userconfig/asr_ai/asr_ai_settings.hpp) but none of class files, that I can see, have the specific file definitions -

SkillFriendly = 1;

SkillEnemy = 0.7;

PrecisionFrinedly = 1;

PrecisionEnemy = 0.5;

Could someone check their asr_ai_settings.hpp file and see if they can find those files. One thought...this thread has been going on for quite a long time, perhaps these recommended setting were for a previous iteration of the asr_ai_settings.hpp file

Thanks for the help

Can you point out the actual post where you saw this SkillFriendly etc. type settings. That usually refers to your overall Arma settings.

Boy...I need some help. I do have my asr-ai_settings.hpp HHP file installed as Delta99 suggested (your Arma2 directory/userconfig/asr_ai/asr_ai_settings.hpp) but none of class files, that I can see, have the specific file definitions -

SkillFriendly = 1;

SkillEnemy = 0.7;

PrecisionFrinedly = 1;

PrecisionEnemy = 0.5;

Could someone check their asr_ai_settings.hpp file and see if they can find those files. One thought...this thread has been going on for quite a long time, perhaps these recommended setting were for a previous iteration of the asr_ai_settings.hpp file

Thanks for the help

Delta99 msg#20. 18Sept10, so quite some time ago

Like I said these are general overall Arma difficulty settings. You should be able to find a bunch of threads on this and where to find the files to make the changes. You can also get to them I believe through the GUI by digging down into your difficulty settings and editing the difficulty. There are sliders for setting the values.

Going by what is posted in such an old thread though probably makes no sense for today's AI since there have been many changes to the AI since then. A lot of the times I find it is best to do some very simple missions with the editor and test various values yourself.

In your case though, problem is you can't even enjoy Arma's vanilla AI at it's full potential if you're only running 15-25 FPS. You need to double that to enjoy this game, really.

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

fps-killer ?

Please feel free to share your experience with more detail, best to open a ticket and upload the mission so I can run it with some debugging and see what can be done. Just make sure to try it without the mod too, some missions are fps-killers themselves.

I will try to provide more options in the future so you can tweak it even better and easier.

Robalo, i ve heard this many times now, but how doest it work? If u have low FPS, AI will get dumb, disable some features? Because when i get into heavy combat my fps may fall down to 20 FPS in bigger cities. That's with amd phenom X4 clocked to 3.9 Ghz, which is well above BIS recommended settings. Still changing graphics settings will give me only 3-5 fps gain between very low and high/very high, so it shouldnt be GPU problem at all.

One more question. When i play, im often using custom units from mods, are they fully utilizing ASR features "out of the box", or i need to change some settings in config file. Thanks for patience regarding my questions :)

First, one thing, imo low fps can come from the Hard drive too. It's definitely a problem for me, being stuck at around 35 FPS max, even though my CPU/GPU is more than alright , and i need to move to a SSD drive.

Second, obviously, framerate is linked to mission design, of course.

My last post was a bit messy sorry about that. Even though im bit disapointed with my computer's performance that wasnt supposed to be the issue in my post :D, ASR ai has nothing to do with it. I just wanted to know what's happening with the AI (vanilla/ASR or both) when you have low fps in a mission. I read about it couple of times, but never any specifics, so i was curios if some of you know a bit more about that. ň

Of course in some missions my FPS never drops under 30 FPS and in some i might hit 18 FPS. See you around

My last post was a bit messy sorry about that. Even though im bit disapointed with my computer's performance that wasnt supposed to be the issue in my post :D, ASR ai has nothing to do with it. I just wanted to know what's happening with the AI (vanilla/ASR or both) when you have low fps in a mission. I read about it couple of times, but never any specifics, so i was curios if some of you know a bit more about that. ň

Of course in some missions my FPS never drops under 30 FPS and in some i might hit 18 FPS. See you around

Two things for you to check out. 1) Many units from many addons are not well optimized and will kill your performance if used in big numbers. Try the same missions with stock BIS units (they're not bad at all, actually they're very good). And 2) SkillFriendly and SkillEnemy have a big impact on CPU usage. Do some tests with those settings in 0.35 (instead of 1, for example), since that number is more important for the AI than the low FPS (or at least equally important.)

Thanks, didnt have a clue that these things impact performance. For the most part im using vanilla units, but recently i ve been using SEALS and such, so i wondered if they are taking full advantage of ASR AI (mainly the skill scalling). I wont be reducing units skill much,as they get owned too much already :D. Of course SF can take me out pretty nice, but i usually dont use em, cause regulars are mostly having hard times surviving hehe.

SkillFriendly and SkillEnemy tell the engine (among other things) how much engine time will the AI have to resolve situations (like in chess games, you always have to tell the simulation how much is enough). The effect is very noticeable when AI of different sides engage in towns, where there are many posible positions and movements, in open ground I guess the effect it's negligible (other than setting defaults for shooting precission, morale, etc.)

Regarding SEALs, I don't know what pack you're using, and how many units are in your mission. But be aware that the helmets of many of those packs out there, have a high poly count and no lower enough LOD models, so if there are 30 on screen, there will be an impact on FPS, compare with stock units. I use them, but not for large scale battles (which are pointless for SF units anyway).

Regarding how 3rd party addons are affected by ASR AI, it depend on which stock units are the new ones based upon, for SEALs, I believe they inherit from USMC FR of US ARMY DELTA, so those are the numbers they're gonna get. You can override those by adding the SEALs classnames to the userconfig file, but I believe it's unnecessary in your case.

I have always edited post #20 here so it's valid with current versions. Added a note to it to make that clear.

To find where to change those settings: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Like I said these are general overall Arma difficulty settings. You should be able to find a bunch of threads on this and where to find the files to make the changes. You can also get to them I believe through the GUI by digging down into your difficulty settings and editing the difficulty. There are sliders for setting the values.

Going by what is posted in such an old thread though probably makes no sense for today's AI since there have been many changes to the AI since then. A lot of the times I find it is best to do some very simple missions with the editor and test various values yourself.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Robalo, i ve heard this many times now, but how doest it work? If u have low FPS, AI will get dumb, disable some features? Because when i get into heavy combat my fps may fall down to 20 FPS in bigger cities. That's with amd phenom X4 clocked to 3.9 Ghz, which is well above BIS recommended settings. Still changing graphics settings will give me only 3-5 fps gain between very low and high/very high, so it shouldnt be GPU problem at all.

One more question. When i play, im often using custom units from mods, are they fully utilizing ASR features "out of the box", or i need to change some settings in config file. Thanks for patience regarding my questions :)

Please see my notes at the end of post #1343

Also for Vanilla AI being affected by low FPS, some info from Suma here: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/39323#note-16

The mod default settings are set to fully utilize all the features except the ones which are at the experimental stage (see reactions). They are tweaked as a personal preference for a coop server with 4-10 players against AI and well balanced missions.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

SkillFriendly and SkillEnemy tell the engine (among other things) how much engine time will the AI have to resolve situations (like in chess games, you always have to tell the simulation how much is enough). The effect is very noticeable when AI of different sides engage in towns, where there are many posible positions and movements, in open ground I guess the effect it's negligible (other than setting defaults for shooting precission, morale, etc.)

Regarding SEALs, I don't know what pack you're using, and how many units are in your mission. But be aware that the helmets of many of those packs out there, have a high poly count and no lower enough LOD models, so if there are 30 on screen, there will be an impact on FPS, compare with stock units. I use them, but not for large scale battles (which are pointless for SF units anyway).

Regarding how 3rd party addons are affected by ASR AI, it depend on which stock units are the new ones based upon, for SEALs, I believe they inherit from USMC FR of US ARMY DELTA, so those are the numbers they're gonna get. You can override those by adding the SEALs classnames to the userconfig file, but I believe it's unnecessary in your case.

Good post, thanks Seba for the support!

I was testing my mod's performance with a simple scenario, bunch of AI groups fighting in Zargabad and I was like WTF, 20 FPS no matter what features I had enabled, then I realized that it was the same without mods :)

I was testing my mod's performance with a simple scenario, bunch of AI groups fighting in Zargabad and I was like WTF, 20 FPS no matter what features I had enabled, then I realized that it was the same without mods :)

Please run the same scenario with SkillEnemy and SkillFriendly lowered to 0.35 and tell me if there are any difference (with and without ASR AI).

so i only do the skill level in the asr settings config? I thought it works together with the skillenemy and precisionenemy in the server config? I'm a bit confused ..i did not touch anything , only updated asr on the server, now it seems to me, they aim way too good? In the past i had better firefights, now enemy ai act like heroes with aimbot..Did BIS change something for AI difficulty with patch 1.62 ? Sorry i've had a long arma-break