Sign in to follow this  
no use for a name

Grenade interface suggestions

Last night during co-op multiplayer I had a little snafu with grenades. My team was stacked on a wall, and we were picking targets off thru an archway in the wall. I had an M4 CQW w/ aimpoint, and had a target lined up. I fired and realized I was on 3-rnd bursts; so I was cycling my fire modes while trying to keep a bead on him and lay suppressing fire...well, as I cycled and fired I clicked when nades came up and dropped one right on a teammates head. I yelled NADE! over TS; but it was pointless as it blew 4 of my squaddies away.

Can we PLEASE have a separate command for grenades!! It really seems stupid to be cycling fire mods on a weapon, then have grenades come up. It's nice to keep the already 20000 (or however many there are hehe ;) ) commands to a minimal; but something like that needs to be fixed IMO.

Also, instead of having to hold the fire button down to throw further; have it the opposite. So if you pull out grenades and click in a rush it doesn't drop to the ground (which I've seen kill friendlies several times in the past). Then if you need to use shorter distances you can time them better to be more accurate. I think that would help a lot with accuracy and in "panic" situations

I agree. Something should be done.

For a suggestion on a similar vein check my signature for a nearly foolproof interface upgrade.

-k

The fact that there isn't a separate "cycle fire mode" and "cycle weapon" in OFP ever has been a continual thorn in the players' collective side.

It's fine the way it is, Semi - Auto - EGLM - Grenade - Smoke - IR Strobe - Satchel charge, it's simple.

It's fine the way it is, Semi - Auto - EGLM - Grenade - Smoke - IR Strobe - Satchel charge, it's simple.

You really enjoy being willfully obtuse, don't you?

The point is, and I totally agree with the OP, that cycling fire modes on a rifle should not force me to skip through a bunch of other things that could be potentially harmful in a combat situation.

Separate weapon and fire mode cycle buttons would be the way to go.

agree, and what this suggestion - if anyone throw grenade to you, you can take him and throw back to enemy - from Call of duty

agree, and what this suggestion - if anyone throw grenade to you, you can take him and throw back to enemy - from Call of duty

99% of the time someone does this you'll be too far down the max 3-5 second fuze time to do so without getting your hand and face blown to bits, so I question the usefulness of such implementation for that 1% of times you'd actually be able to throw it back without dying trying.

99% of the time someone does this you'll be too far down the max 3-5 second fuze time to do so without getting your hand and face blown to bits, so I question the usefulness of such implementation for that 1% of times you'd actually be able to throw it back without dying trying.

This. Also, I don't know about you people, but 99% of the time when I get killed by a grenade, I never saw it coming...

Regarding the cycling of weapon modes: maybe there should be a single new modifier key, keeping that one pressed, the numerical keys (otherwise used for radio commands) would simply select/switch to the desired weapon.

At least I remember lot's of shooters having assigned the numbers to select specific weapons and that worked fine. And I guess it wouldn't be a lot worse, if you had to push a modifier key to do so.

• modifier key + 1: select/cycle weapon mode of primary weapon
  • modifier key + 2: select/(cycle) alternative weapon of primary weapon (such as a grenade launcher, and maybe cycle different ammo)
  • modifier key + 3: select/cycle handgrenades or anything throwable such as IR strobes...

or something along these lines... where on a "weapon-class/key-change" the last used mode gets selected, and if we are already in this "weapon-class/key-mode", we simply cycle through the available sub-options.

Hell, why not this: keep your "cycle weapon" key pushed and hit a number.. recieve bacon. No need for a new modifier key at all. :)

Edited by ruebe

This. Also, I don't know about you people, but 99% of the time when I get killed by a grenade, I never saw it coming...

Yeah MW2 also has that lame ass "grenade nearby" indicator. No thanks.

I like the original idea, also like the idea about longer you hold the button the shorter the throw goes. I would also like to see a safety mode thrown into the mix. An actuall safety mode with the weapon fire mode would be most helpfuli imo.

if anyone throw grenade into your hand you will throw it back !!!

First off, anyone with common sense will either:

A: Kick the grenade away if seen

or

B: Shout "Grenade" if they see/hear it and dive away

Think about how long someone will cook the grenade, the source, and the length it was thrown. If properly thrown it will be an insta-meat grinder.

Partly agree to having better access to grenades/explosives etc.

not agree to

Also, instead of having to hold the fire button down to throw further; have it the opposite.

by my logic its correct: the longer you press the throw button the farther it will fly.

Imho in OFP there was the possibility to throw a grenade while moving - maybe this could be added in A2CO to throw the grenade a bit farther than in stance/crouch mode?

@danny96 dont believe in all what you see in movies and mainstream shooters! ;)

B: Shout "Grenade" if they see/hear it and dive away

How about a 'hit the fucking deck!' command - press a key and you instantly dive a few metres forward into prone (whichever way you are facing)?

That useless key that switches you between pistol and main gun could instead cycle you through all your weapons until you get to the one you want. The main cycle command would then only cycle modes on the current weapon. Ideally you could have cycle up and cycle down keys that would loop so you could have only one key if necessary. It might make sense to consider different types of grenades different modes of the "grenade" weapon in this scheme.

Oh but hey this might be too much like every other FPS and that might piss off the chuckleheads who can't stand borrowing ideas :rolleyes:

Edited by Polar Bear

I got hit in the face with a training grenade during MOUT training and I even ran away from that, I wouldn't go towards something so hostile. (I lived*)

Partly agree to having better access to grenades/explosives etc.

not agree to

by my logic its correct: the longer you press the throw button the farther it will fly.

Imho in OFP there was the possibility to throw a grenade while moving - maybe this could be added in A2CO to throw the grenade a bit farther than in stance/crouch mode?

When was the last time you used a grenade within 10m (and survived)? It makes no sense that the lowest "power" of throw is literally dropping it at your feet. If they don't reverse it, then at least make the minimum distance you throw a grenade 10-15m...

When was the last time you used a grenade within 10m (and survived)? It makes no sense that the lowest "power" of throw is literally dropping it at your feet. If they don't reverse it, then at least make the minimum distance you throw a grenade 10-15m...

Frankly the entire grenade interface could do with a makeover. Grenades are hard to use properly, essentially useless in house to house combat, and cumbersome to boot.

Handgrenades are underused because their implementation (more accurately how the animations work) is poor.

-k

Frankly the entire grenade interface could do with a makeover. Grenades are hard to use properly, essentially useless in house to house combat, and cumbersome to boot.

Handgrenades are underused because their implementation (more accurately how the animations work) is poor.

-k

Ah yes...you just reminded me of another little 'quirk' I forgot to mention; not being able to stop your throw once it's activated. It has to go thru the whole animation before you can do anything else making you a sitting duck for 2-4 seconds. I've gotten killed many times when throwing because I couldn't go prone or move behind cover.

Hell, being able to do that right there would probably eliminate a lot of FF incidents from grenades lol!

LoL What'd you expect, spaghetti?

Hence the *. I also killed* myself with a bad grenade toss in a trench line exercise, so that can be a very realistic part. I'd still like the interface changed though.

Edited by HyperU2

When was the last time you used a grenade within 10m (and survived)?

Last sunday during the weekly Charlie Foxtrot battle, I came across an enemy soldier at the opening of a wall. We shot at each other but both missed, and he retreated behind it, obviously waiting for me to peek around. Instead, I lobbed a nade over with minimal force, so that it landed right on the other side. It killed him.

Sometimes, the short throws can come in handy. I certainly never would have managed that with a more powerful throw. ;)

Last sunday during the weekly Charlie Foxtrot battle, I came across an enemy soldier at the opening of a wall. We shot at each other but both missed, and he retreated behind it, obviously waiting for me to peek around. Instead, I lobbed a nade over with minimal force, so that it landed right on the other side. It killed him.

Sometimes, the short throws can come in handy. I certainly never would have managed that with a more powerful throw. ;)

Agree, the new ranged throw ability is a big (massive) step forward, but there's still work to be done!

I really pine for the ability to cook off grenades like in America's Army...