Sign in to follow this  
UrbanXFX

DLC - Canadian Forces

I think the call for a Canadian DLC is a very cool direction to take. Canadian forces having had an unfortunate reputation for non-action since Yugoslavia – as more than one poster has noted this is no longer the case having definitely reinvented themselves and are in on the action now.

The potential for heartfelt storytelling is absolutely there; Imagine following the life a young soldier travelling and patrolling in Takistan seeing the humanitarian crisis yet being hampered by petty politics as to where and what the armed forces are permitted to accomplish.

Obviously there are many equipment similarities to already existing content which would greatly speed up the design work.

Canadians are:

- Excellent soldiers

- Modern equipment.

- English and French speaking.

-k

Canada is a very important part of the ISAF. It is the sixth largest contributor to the war in afghanistan, amazingly, has a military that is independent of aid form the United States (no other country in North America can really make that claim, no offense), and, quite frankly, is the only major player that has pissed so few people off, that people would be amazed if it actually got invaded. Us Americans might joke around alot about how Canada is "Just the 51st state", and has no real power, but make no mistake, it is a very potent country. Just because it chooses not to get embroiled in stupid, useless, foreign wars doesn't make them less powerful. I support our troops, not the dumb politicians that put them there.

On topic--> I would love to see Canada as a DLC. It would be a very good addon, as it is one of the only major contributers that doesn't have its own mod.

Then I want Argentinian forces...

oh wait, we only have one light tank and 2 planes and its full of stupid politicians that the only thing they do is steal :s

With Canadian military operations and history clearly outlined to the uninformed at the end of the day it's up to BIS. Depending on how successful the BAF DLC is I guess.

If they do go with it I would not have it set in Takistan but somewhere else. Just because Takistan is similar to Afghanistan doesn't mean BIS have to model the entire ISAF contingent. Even though there are a lot of nations there the Takistan setting would get stale pretty quickly. The missions in each DLC would probably land up being largely similar to each other.

If the BAF DLC is well received an ADF one would look like the next logical step to me. Something loosely based on East Timor would be great IMHO. Any quality DLC would be much welcomed though.

On topic--> I would love to see Canada as a DLC. It would be a very good addon, as it is one of the only major contributers that doesn't have its own mod.

ONS. Been around since OFP days IIRC.

Lets have a DLC thread for all countries. One per week or so. Maybe 2 weeks. This thread can be as a benchmark for how meny pages there is before it starts to repeat.

:)

really? could you point me to a location? has it been ported to a2?
And you're better off getting BIS to make a DLC. ONS is littered with bugs. A far cry from the OFP version sadly.

i vote for russian dlc ak-47 pack dlc ak-47

seriously, i dont want canadians.. bring on some germans

i vote for russian dlc ak-47 pack dlc ak-47
Yea I wouldn't pay a buck for what I can get a dime a dozen for free...

This. One of the best decisions our government has made in the last decade I think. Would not have wanted to have any guilt for what's going on over there as a Canadian, I feel sorry for Americans and the British. :(

I have little respect for what their governments chose to do, but I have the utmost respect for those who are fighting over there. True heroes in my eyes.

Please, keep politics out of this forum section and leave 'em in off topic. Not every Canadian suffers from Bush derrangement syndrom or are crazy about the UN ;)

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

ehh I'm sorry, I never said they didn't play a major part in operations, I just said I've never heard of them war-wise

You sir have no right to call yourself a military fan boy if you're not even aware of the modern Canadian Forces. Also, Project Reality seems to think that Canadian Forces in an FPS has potential since they added them in their last update, so do some research next time before you embarrass yourself!

Edited by BF2_Trooper

Please, keep politics out of this forum section and leave 'em in off topic.

He isn't talking politics. He's expressing his reaction to other countries governmental decisions. How is that politics? Politics is the motivation behind those kind of decisions, not the end result.

Why not make an Entire NATO pack, include some of the important hardware and *some*, not all countries like an extension to the Germans and Czechs, Azerbaijan (yes they are in Iraq/Afghanistan), and Dutch or Danish units....

He isn't talking politics. He's expressing his reaction to other countries governmental decisions. How is that politics? Politics is the motivation behind those kind of decisions, not the end result.

Either way it's off topic.

Please, keep politics out of this forum section and leave 'em in off topic.

Fine, but it's very off-topic. No one asked him what he thought of the Iraq War and no in this discussion needs to hear it. Stuff like that is better off in OFF-TOPIC. Let's just concentrate on seeing our awesome CF soldiers officially introduced into the world of ARMA.

Edited by BF2_Trooper

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Canadian Forces use VBS? If so, doesnt that mean that BIS already has CF models made?

Fine, but it's very off-topic. No one asked him what he thought of the Iraq War and no in this discussion needs to hear it. Stuff like that is better off in OFF-TOPIC. Let's just concentrate on seeing our awesome CF soldiers officially introduced into the world of ARMA.

Fair play. I'm up for Canadian stuff as well mate :)

I would like a CF DLC pack only if BIS puts them, as well as the UKF DLC, on the OPFOR or INDEPENDENT side so I can replay the War of 1812 in the editor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Canadian Forces use VBS? If so, doesnt that mean that BIS already has CF models made?

Yes they do.

My wife's nieces husband :eek: just came back from instructing at CFBGagetown and was telling me about the VBS fun he had as we do play ArmA2.

So Canadian content is possible.

Cool your from Edmonton too?

Just outside of Edmonton, small town called Vermillion. I always say I'm from Edmonton, though. No one knows where I'm from when I tell the truth. :p

Edmonton Oilers FTW!

I've always been impressed by how well-trained our forces are, and by their contributions to conflicts they've been involved in (Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan...). I also have a particular love for JTF2. Damn, now those would be awesome to have in the DLC! :D

Gotta love how any mention of the Iraq war flares up aggression and anger, yet that was hardly the original person's intentions. It's like reading YouTube comments on any real military video... Anyways, fine, no need to mention it anymore.

Edited by Zipper5

I'd love to see Canadian forces as official DLC - IMO Canada's role in major conflicts has been under-acknowledged by the rest of the English-speaking world for far too long; from Afghan and Iraq right back to WWII (there were more Brits and Canadians combined in France on D-Day than Americans, but history sadly tends to overlook that...)

I would buy Canadian DLC in a flash.

I would like a CF DLC pack only if BIS puts them, as well as the UKF DLC, on the OPFOR or INDEPENDENT side so I can replay the War of 1812 in the editor.

Can I play as a Canadian and burn down the White House again?

If there's gonna be a Canadian dlc il get it as long as there will be teh LAV 3 It looks so badass in Project Reality :cool: