Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

So to return to the server issue.

Lets not.

Why not wait and see when the mod is released instead of trying to speculate.

I'm assuming the PR mod will not be running Domination or Warfare from experience:) they have their own game modes which people play out in a mature way. The different game modes are all very diverse and interesting. Which is worth a try..:rolleyes: just saying.

Actually they can limit the servers from hosting it by making it rely on server-side scripts that are only present in the server-version of the addon. However I doubt they would actually take that route and I think taking that route would be a pretty bad idea.

Eventually, if the official PR servers live up to their expectations, no non-official server will be able to compete in terms of actually getting players to play on it.

They announced the current game mods

- AAS

- Attack & Defend - (one directional AAS/front-line flow)

- Command & Control

- Skirmish

- Insurgency

Its been confirmed PR is using "devastation" mod as the basis for its gameplay:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/77777-project-reality-arma2.html

As you would expect from any Project Reality development, gameplay improvements will feature strongly. These will take some time to get to where we want, however there have already been changes made to reflect PR-style gameplay, courtesy of [R-DEV]Dr_Eyeball, who has brought over his Devastation Mod to the project. This will form the basis of PR:ArmA2 gameplay.

the mod:

Armaholic.com - Devastation mission-pack

This should focus the fighting.

that we have, but i figured id keep it to whats publicly known... NDA and all :D

haha, well done. ;)

I see you have listed game modes, but non-PR players like me don't really know what they mean. I'm sure many would appreciate some more details explaining what the titles represent.

We will be doing a full feature on Gameplay, with videos etc next month (we still have 2 parts of this newsreel to announce yet ...lol)

We should then be in a position with ALL of our gamemodes running as we want.

Insurgency is a very great game mode! To get a sample i'd YouTube pr 0.9 gameplay. Yes it is bf2 footage but the same gameplay aspect could be expected for arma:) I,myself loved playing as an insurgent setting up ied ambushes

I'm really looking forward to this mod. Great looking pics and videos. :cool:

I'm still curious what the "official" PR stance will be on COOP and CTI gamemodes - because these are the most popular ways to play Arma2 currently.

I'm being so harsh, it may seem, because I'd love to see a team like this rework the "Big Coop" like Domination or Evo or even Warfare BE into something more teamwork focused and realistic.

But the last thing I want to see is a close-minded group of people griefing servers for using this content to play Arma 2 the way that they most enjoy. Forgive me for being fearful, and really I have no disrespect for the PR team. Just some (hopefully healthy) skepticism.

I'm still curious what the "official" PR stance will be on COOP and CTI gamemodes - because these are the most popular ways to play Arma2 currently.

No coop and cti in pr, just pure pvp.

But im sure you can use their new assets in the editor then for your coop or cti missions.

But the pr mod itself is pvp only (gamemodes comming inside the mod)

AI based modes are out of PR's sight, mate.

We have our own PvP gamemodes to bring into ArmA 2.

PvP one of the most important things that will come to ArmA 2 with PR.

PvP is one of the main focuses of the Project Reality team in their PR:ArmA 2 project.

I also noticed that there aren't many populated PvP servers, i saw one i think and that was Warfare.The player count was 14 vs 14 considering that we have a big map and a large AO.Its kind of not enough.It was the closest system to PR that I've seen so far though.

Edited by [10th] Rezza

Rezza;1721100']Its one of the most important things that will come to ArmA 2 with PR.PvP is one of the main focuses of the Project Reality team in their PR:ArmA 2 project.I also noticed that there aren't any PvP servers i saw one i think

There are normally 10 dedicated PVP servers (In OA atleast) with the players in different ones depending on the time of day. Then there are the servers that play a mix of both PvP and Coop, normally focusing on Warfare/AAS.

Also, you might want to make sure you use the space bar next time, for a second I thought you said that PR is one of the most important things to come to ArmA II.

I'm not entirely up-to-date with how they have defined this in the ArmA mod, but here's a bit of information about these gamemodes as they are in PR for BF2. This isn't anything official, I'm using my own terminology ;).

AAS

Capture areas in a certain order. An area consists of one or more locations. You need to capture all locations within a certain area before you're able to proceed to the next. The enemy team does the same thing. Outsmart the enemy by flanking, building forward bases on good locations, etc.

Attack & Defend - (one directional AAS/front-line flow)

Same as AAS, but I think once you lose an area/location, you can't recapture that.

Command & Control

In PR for BF2, this basically is a map without specified areas/locations you need to capture. Each team has their own main base and need to build a certain amount of forward bases to be able to capture the enemy's main base. This is the only rule there is basically. You can build forward bases wherever you like, though placing them on strategic locations is not a bad idea, hehe.

Skirmish

Two teams fight each other on a slightly smaller map. In PR for BF2, this is a gamemode for ~8 vs ~8 players.

Insurgency

A very interesting gamemode. In most cases, this gamemode features coalition forces vs "insurgents". The insurgents (like taliban in this case) have hidden weapons caches they need to defend. The coalition forces have to find out where the caches are hidden. They receive intel about cache locations, but intel can only provide a rough estimate of where the cache will be, so you have to search for it. Once you find it, destroy it. Coalition forces have to destroy a number of caches to "win the round".

The best way for Insurgents to prevent the coalition forces from finding and destroying weapon caches, is to make use of ambushes, buried mines, IED's, tripwire, molotovs, bomb cars and devestating bomb trucks. Going head on with coalition forces often is not a very good idea.

Edited by AfterDune

As Afterdune posted these are our gamemodes at the moment, and how they "currently" run. There may be a bit of tweaking still during the testing.

Insurgency is VERY good, and has surprised me in the ArmA2 engine ;)

As also said we are PvP, and not COOP, CTI, etc, etc.

Our aim is as we have said from day one ... PvP.

Project Reality is being developed with full focus on PvP, for ArmA2, it is not being developed as individual add ons, for the user to use as individual items (there is plenty to choose from anyway here for that use). PR Core will be required to use the assets, due to its dynamic development, very similar to ACE, CBA where the Core is required to run.

Edited by Craig.Turner