Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

I'm so sure it was "Operation Flashpoint 3" there before... I must remember wrong or they changed it.

You remember it wrong:). It's been OFP:RR from the beginning...

You remember it wrong:). It's been OFP:RR from the beginning...

LOL, I was a bit upset and then it turns out that its from this forum :D

Anyone spotted the dedicated server thread in the DR PC forums spring to life with new info a while ago......

Anyone spotted the dedicated server thread in the DR PC forums spring to life with new info a while ago......

A work around for dedicated servers.... so who in the PC community will still be around to play on it? Plus its kinda funny how people who mod for free can do a better job of bringing dedicated work around for DR than CM ever tried to do.

Is there any doubt, therefore, why Red River has zero modding abilities? :rolleyes:

At least BIS embraces the possibility with open arms.

Edited by Zipper5

The game is dead before launch....

And the Dragon Rising <> Operation Flashpoint PR/marketing lie wont work again here.

Now the ppl know thats no operation flaspoint inside when they read it on the box, they will remember at the bad DR and the dropped support (like in all other cm titles after short time by the way).

Without the hype from dr its dead before launch, dr was dead after release....

They can make it console only, who cares.....

I guess its all about taste and many will buy it and even like it. People looking for mil-sim will be disapointed for sure, but we are all different.

Remember there are alot of people out there that dont read forums, dont care and just want to play a game.

Thats not the point.

Sure such ppl will maybe buy it.

But much ppl bought dr after the big hype and felt betrayed, there was big trouble around it after release. Do you remember?

Dont think those ppl will buy RR...

As i said they cant pump their sales again with hype and the opf name, this time they have to make a game.

And anybody know the lifecycles of any codemaster games. (1-3 patches -> dropped support//not only with dr, all their games!)

Dead before release!!!

It doesn't actually work like that in the real world. How else are Activision, EA, Ubi etc still in business along with CM? They're all "quilty" of the same, more or less, yet make the most money.

It doesn't actually work like that in the real world. How else are Activision, EA, Ubi etc still in business along with CM? They're all "quilty" of the same, more or less, yet make the most money.

In other words: "Hype always works."

It's sad but true.

I think the reaction from the console market may have been much different than the reaction from Flashpoint fans / PC users.

Well, the same thing with GRAW and RSV - the original fans hate it, the console players love it.

Karel Moricky interview

The nuclear apocalypse is here: everyone has to retreat to the reinforced bomb shelter under BI HQ. What game to you take with you to pass the 1000 year wait?

Since Fallout 3 is obviously happening all around, I would go for The Sims 2, with all possible user community creations. I already feel like I've spent 1000 years playing it; another millennium will be just fine.

LOL

And we were complaining, 'the RR devs can't make a proper tactical shooter if they like to play L4D and TF2!'

I tried the Sims 2 for about 20 minutes, because a (female) friend was totally addicted to it. It had an addon with zombies and vampires: took about fifteen minutes just to get off the start menu. Couldn't take any more after that.

I think old Charles wanted to give the best example he could of a game with masses of community-built stuff, and maybe even had his tongue a little in his cheek. Does sound as if he genuinely likes the thing (can't bring myself to call it a game), though.

Each to his own!

Karel Moricky interview

LOL

And we were complaining, 'the RR devs can't make a proper tactical shooter if they like to play L4D and TF2!'

I tried the Sims 2 for about 20 minutes, because a (female) friend was totally addicted to it. It had an addon with zombies and vampires: took about fifteen minutes just to get off the start menu. Couldn't take any more after that.

I think old Charles wanted to give the best example he could of a game with masses of community-built stuff, and maybe even had his tongue a little in his cheek. Does sound as if he genuinely likes the thing (can't bring myself to call it a game), though.

Each to his own!

I dont think I ever complain about that, I just hate them for making a turd while making the clam for being "tactical", which it just isnt.

We weren't talking about them being tactical, the issue was about them being realistic.

What issue?

A musician might not listen to pop music but still compose it exceptionally well for a living.

Suma, BI lead programmer at the time, was "never that much interested in military, so having to play with tanks and weapons for 10 years is definitely not that interesting" to him, but that didn't prevent him from working on OFP and Arma.

L4D versus and TF2 are both extremely tactical.

Absolutely true.

I love TF2, but can't be bothered with L4D versus - the community's just too competitive for me.

It's really interesting hearing what other games these devs enjoy and are (maybe) influenced by. Perhaps a bit of distance from the game you create is a good thing. I'm pretty sure that the Arma series is better for having people working on it who, for example, like Michael Bay films etc., than if all the devs were totally obsessed with military minutiae

If you've got great researchers, a passionate eye for detail and an understanding of what will make an enjoyable experience for the target audience, maybe that's enough. Interesting quote from Suma. Seeing it as a job is more likely to sustain ten years of effort than personal interest.

Overall, The problem that I have with them all playing L4D and everything, is the fact they didn't say someting like:

"I enjoyed playing the original OFP, but also enjoy L4D and TF2..." etc

The fact they don't mention OFP in most of them is the problem. Though, they will give a good coop exerience as a "tactical shooter", it wont be a competitor for ArmA In any way. But perhaps more of a competitor for Rainbow series or something.

But perhaps more of a competitor for Rainbow series or something.

If you mean the Rainbow series in it's current state, then yeah they might "achieve" that.

Edited by JdB

But perhaps more of a competitor for Rainbow series or something.

This makes me cringe in frustration. You have no idea.