Sign in to follow this  
gonk

Direct Chat SHOUTING!!

Would be nice to have a shout key for that form of communication. Using the mike to shout is not an option as most ppl's mikes will distort. Need to be able to carry direct chat further. So the shout option would be nice.. Ie.. increase volume and bass... thx.

Totally agree, this would be something for a Arma patch too.

The direct chat is awesome but with too low volume.

Would be nice to have a shout key for that form of communication.  Using the mike to shout is not an option as most ppl's mikes will distort.  Need to be able to carry direct chat further. So the shout option would be nice.. Ie.. increase volume and bass... thx.

Imagine the fun you could have training the rokies biggrin_o.gif . Full metal jacket

A problem I foresee is that people could be abusing it and annoy others. Upon further thought I think ill take my support for this back.

A problem I foresee is that people could be abusing it and annoy others. Upon further thought I think ill take my support for this back.

Well thats why if someone is being anyying you Press P find that player and mute him.

I dont see it as a problem ... Plus the poeple who would abuse of it would probably be rambo's who dont have a clue about tactical gameplay and everything that it includes ... you dont care about them ...

I support this fully, not necessarily a shout key, but louder direct chat. The way it's now, I have to stand within a few meters to make sense of what's being said.

Hi all

I want this function but make it that AI are more aware of you if you use it.

This is a must have for ArmA II as shouty noobs rack up your kills biggrin_o.gif

I hope some one gets the YouTube video up of the shouty noob screaming:-

"Why do all the other guys always kill me first? Why do my own side keep running away from me? I keep pressing the volume shout button; why can I not hear the other guys speaking?"

Ah ArmAII, noob kill heaven firefoxlover.gif

Kind regards walker

I find direct chat very handy. It provides direction, and ability to chat to ppl not in your group without annoying the whole side. Shouting between buildings, during fire fights would be nice. Yes it will be open to abuse but it is the job of the admin to police and filter out the tools. I guess the another option would be just to increase the zone of Direct Chat and lower the drop off rate versus distance. either way it needs tweaking.

Hi all

Shouting inappropriately in ArmA would filter itself.

Those who continue to be idiots will get the idiots award. Darwin works in ArmA same as it does in reality.

Shouting for help or as a warning to others or for a medic will be beneficial. Shouting because you can will result in a head shot.

I think the idea of a shout modifier key for push to talk is a great idea for ArmA and ArmAII

Suggested way to implement Direct Chat Shouting

If BIS are really worried about its abuse then they just make it as follows:

1) A laryngitis filter perhaps (overuse shout and laryngitis turns on)

2) Add in the ability of the game admin to de-voice in game (laryngitis on)

3) The ability in the server config to:-

-- a) turn off direct speech

-- b) turn off direct speech shout.

Kind Regards walker

anyway i support this lil idea of direct shout

against abuse never forget well done simple table to mute anyone you want

Yay ! We got official support !

he is a forum mod not a bis dev lol but the more the merrier smile_o.gif

he is a forum mod not a bis dev lol but the more the merrier  smile_o.gif

Yeah ,but he knows people smile_o.gif

The cool thing would be also having a voice distorted when voice chatting on a side/group channel like the user were sending voice trough the UHF radio etc.

I mean the noise in background, slight irregular frequency modulation, and beeps.

sonds lke a cool idea :) sort of a special option to the ingame Voice over thing?

Beep and background noise should be an easy to implement. The harder to do is a real-time sound frequency modulation. But what a boost of immersion!

Returning to shout subject - the important thing is to "normalize" sound output level of microphone first - it varies every system configuration, sound card, and microphone type. I guess it is essential to have players firstly record at the similar volume level.

Louder direct chat is what i want too. Feels a bit too weak in volume. Even when raising RADIO and lowering EFFECTS. The relation seems to be a bit off. More power to the direct chat and all is perfect IMO.

Alex

Yeah, all chat channels work fine, but direct chat falls off too much too quickly, there is no real shouting distance ingame right now, a bit further would be nice already, AND the extra shouting key like directChatKey+Turbo make you scream ... :)

Just a simple seperate volume control in the options would be great I cant hear the voip at all in arma doesnt matter how I put the sound options.

I believe that this is worth looking at:

shouttravel.png

Except the increase of volume, I would notice, that the loss of volume over distance is even more radical now, than it is supposed to be. Not sure even if it is linear at all (maybe hyperbolic cosecant-ish, dunno). The fact is, that shouting is a way to compromise positions to the enemy.

Also I did test the radio chatter with effects. I've firstly recorded an audio straight from the mic.

Unedited, and dull available for comparison. I've borrowed the click and background noise from maker of TS-Noise addon for teamspeak (which unfortunately has awful working concept and tons of limitations, resulting this addon useless). And used the GPL Licensed plugin "Hard Limiter" by Marcus Andersson, which was included in Audacity (which is also released on GNU (GPL) license). The effects is satisfying (for me at least). The third sample is the same, but with equaliser applied, to make it sound a bit more "flat". I did not test for perfect values, since I am not anyhow experienced in audio editing, but I strongly believe that fullprocessing that is not a resource consuming, and thus should be introduced for better gaming experience.

What tons of limitations are we talking about for that TS noise addon thingy? Never heard of it before, but I'm not going to download anything that proves harmful or useless.