Sign in to follow this  
wormeaten

Nvidia drivers supporting ArmA3 in SLI now

I read that recently NVIDIA implement support for ArmA3 in new SLI driver.

I'm wondering did anybody try ArmA3 with new drivers in SLI and what the results are?

I'm especially interested in GTX 760 in SLI.

Thanks.

Maybe you should try them and post up your results.................................................................

The thing is, Arma 3 is largely CPU bound, and going into an SLI setup will only make the CPU bottleneck even worse. You can very easily get good load usage out of an SLI/Xfire setup in Arma 3 but you need to pump GPU related settings up. IE - very high anti-aliasing settings, lots of Ambient Occlusion, Post Processing etc.

My single GTX 780 overclocked allows me to do 8x AA, FXAA Ultra, 16x AF and pretty much all post processing settings, and I'm still CPU bottlenecked in anything but empty editor with just my one unit in the map. I doubt any driver updates will fix this.

@DaRkL3AD3R - The GPU can not cause the CPU to bottlekneck.. your post is very misleading and is not grounded in fact. I can appreciate you trying to be helpful, but a friendly suggestion; be helpful on topics in which you have knowledge rather than posting for the sake of negative opposition to the OP. That's called 'trolling'...

@wormeaten - SLI is providing a boost in FPS, but I'm still seeing flickering in picture in picture and other secondary screens, as well as shadows. The SLI issues do not seem to be resolved yet.

The thing is, Arma 3 is largely CPU bound, and going into an SLI setup will only make the CPU bottleneck even worse. You can very easily get good load usage out of an SLI/Xfire setup in Arma 3 but you need to pump GPU related settings up. IE - very high anti-aliasing settings, lots of Ambient Occlusion, Post Processing etc.

My single GTX 780 overclocked allows me to do 8x AA, FXAA Ultra, 16x AF and pretty much all post processing settings, and I'm still CPU bottlenecked in anything but empty editor with just my one unit in the map. I doubt any driver updates will fix this.

I'll run some tests later today. I have a lenovo Y500 that has two GT650Ms. Will be interesting to see what the autodetect finds out

@DaRkL3AD3R - The GPU can not cause the CPU to bottlekneck.. your post is very misleading and is not grounded in fact. I can appreciate you trying to be helpful, but a friendly suggestion; be helpful on topics in which you have knowledge rather than posting for the sake of negative opposition to the OP. That's called 'trolling'...

@wormeaten - SLI is providing a boost in FPS, but I'm still seeing flickering in picture in picture and other secondary screens, as well as shadows. The SLI issues do not seem to be resolved yet.

No, you're misleading. Stronger GPU = the more the CPU bottlenecks the GPUs.

Thank you all who provide valuable data on this subject. You rocks.

For all of this other trollers do it somewhere else if you could not keep the subject. Question is clear so if you not have valuable information about NVIDIA graphic card in SLI pleas spare us with your philosophic debate about CPU and bottlenecking GPU.

There is multiple threads on this forum with this subject so go there.

Subject is good and respond as well so I expecting more results and shared experience in this SLI field to help it tweak best as possible.

Thanks one more time to those who keep the subject.

I have two gtx 570s and it went up by about 5-7 frames, a nice little improvement.

Thank you all who provide valuable data on this subject. You rocks.

For all of this other trollers do it somewhere else if you could not keep the subject. Question is clear so if you not have valuable information about NVIDIA graphic card in SLI pleas spare us with your philosophic debate about CPU and bottlenecking GPU.

There is multiple threads on this forum with this subject so go there.

Subject is good and respond as well so I expecting more results and shared experience in this SLI field to help it tweak best as possible.

Thanks one more time to those who keep the subject.

Bottlenecking is very relevant to SLI, duh. If your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card in the first place then you will have 0% improvement with SLI just like VanZant mentioned.

Thanks for saying this for me, you said it much simpler than I probably would have. I don't know how people don't understand the relationship between CPU and GPU in terms of capping your frame-rate. It's so obvious with Arma series that the main issue for performance has never been the GPU. Why would adding a second GPU increase performance if a single is already capped by a CPU? :( it's logic, some people just don't get it.

Pfft, many games will bottleneck at the CPU if you turn vsync off and let the GPU run off anyway. It's like arguing about when the sky turns blue. Bottom line is it just does, and isnt particularly relevant to SLI per se because its both every where, and can be also difficult to define depending on the games capabilities, vs hardware, vs what the game is actually trying to render. So wormeaton kind of has a point. For me it will be relevant if I get an over all performance gain with v-sync on. Beyond that its just a benchmark of usless frames that only serve to generate heat and up my power bill.

At any rate i havn't noticed any tell tales signs of restrictive bottle necking with A3 on my system so far (check spoiler). Now I want to go home and check it out.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

This really isn't the truth either. Nothing really "bottlenecks" in the sense of an action; rather, something is THE bottleneck. If the cpu is the bottleneck, your performance is capped. The strength of the GPU is vacuous in terms of overall performance (unless it's weak enough that it becomes the bottleneck). Sure, if you use a more powerful GPU, it will be less utilized, but the amount of work being done doesn't really change. I understand that a tight cpu bottleneck can be annoying, but there is always going to be some form of bottleneck. Really if you have 4 Titans in SLI and get upset that you're way underutilized, that's more of a caveat emptor issue than anything with the game.

The biggest problem is that some people have bottlenecks in their brain. No one ask you nothing about bottlenecks.

Could you pleas live us alone and if you want debate about your bottlenecks on threads where this is theme not here.

Go terrorize someone else not us here. We just try to share information's and results so we could latter debate about it is it good or not, is the benefit for all the same or not etc.

In the end you just misleading people here and not help at all just opposite so when we loose nerves because your bottleneck terrorism and react I will be infarct again so better stick your bottle neck somewhere else.

People don't be discouraged by this bottleneck experts and continuing send an information's about SLI so we who is interested could compare it to help tweak SLI in future or to provide developers with good and solid information's.

And one more about bottleneck on CPU. How this could be bottleneck at all if reach 50% of usage?

The biggest problem is that some people have bottlenecks in their brain. No one ask you nothing about bottlenecks.

Could you pleas live us alone and if you want debate about your bottlenecks on threads where this is theme not here.

Go terrorize someone else not us here. We just try to share information's and results so we could latter debate about it is it good or not, is the benefit for all the same or not etc.

In the end you just misleading people here and not help at all just opposite so when we loose nerves because your bottleneck terrorism and react I will be infarct again so better stick your bottle neck somewhere else.

People don't be discouraged by this bottleneck experts and continuing send an information's about SLI so we who is interested could compare it to help tweak SLI in future or to provide developers with good and solid information's.

And one more about bottleneck on CPU. How this could be bottleneck at all if reach 50% of usage?

Yes I agree, lets get back on track here...

Wormeater, have you tried the drivers yet?

What is your result?

Do you have two cards to run in SLI or are you just asking people who do so you can decide on buying a second card?

Did you start the thread as a Poll? so that everyone can post up weather there was an improvement? IF so how come there is no Public Poll to vote on??

If i had Nvidea cards i would have tested them and post my results, however i have ATI 7950's in Xfire.. Still waiting on AMD to release and updated driver...

I ask these questions because you are telling others to stay on topic.. though you have yet to actually post up about the topic itself.. you just seem to want to be spoon fed info.. And to what end?? The Dev's at BIS have nothing to do with how SLI performs. If this thread is for the Dev's at Nvidea, then I doubt they will be seeing it here...

I ask again have you tried the drivers? and what was your result? Lets stay on topic here....

I do hope that AMD release's an updated driver...

No unfortunately I don't have SLI or NVIDIA but I'm interested in this issue I'm looking on GTX 760.

2x 760 cost 500$ and in other games giving 15 to 20% better than 600$ gtx 780.

SLI in ArmA 3 was not supported until last driver changes so it is time to start collecting information how this effecting on ArmA 3.

I hope AMD will soon add support for CF ass well then we could expand this thread on CF because it is actually same issue.

And will be help to Dev's because game engine need to be optimized with hardware and in this days SLI/CF or multiple core CPU are almost standard now.

Biggest bottleneck is in game engine and with such good information we could provide valuable data to devs in their attempt to better optimizing game engine.

I got 9-10 fps with 326.19 but more micro stuttering on my gtx 680 sli. I am waiting for change log on 326.29 to try it.

I got 9-10 fps with 326.19 but more micro stuttering on my gtx 680 sli. I am waiting for change log on 326.29 to try it.

does it say what exactly they have done to help with arma3? or just says improved performance?

when is this new patch coming out?

For this results be comparable we need both fps no SLI fps and with SLI fps.

Example 1 with gain of 10fps: no SLI 30fps with SLI 40fps what is 33% better.

Example 2 with gain of 10fps: no SLI 20fps with SLI 30fps what is 50% better.

Example 3 with gain of 10fps: no SLI 40fps with SLI 50fps what is 25% better.

This is example to see what benefit and efficiency of SLI in ArmA 3 is and how if you just send part of results actually didn't say nothing about. So people or Devs cant get valuable information to do some improvement.

Other games who support SLI have gain from 80 to 95% depend on game optimization.

So to be competitive ArmA 3 with 30fps in no SLI should have in SLI gain of 80% is 25 fps what is in general 55fps.

If the results is lower than 80% this is not good optimized yet so benefit of SLI is still questionable.

Comparison of 2x SLI GTX760 with single GTX780 for example should be interesting and not much difference in results but in favor of 2x GTX 760 SLI.

Edited by wormeaten