Sign in to follow this  
BobbyDylan

Oa ai

Is it just me, or are Taki soldiers retarded? I mean, through the whole SP campaign (all 25 minutes of it) I don't think they did shit. In the "resuce the captives from the palace" / "destroy the scud launchers" mission, the AI ran around for a bit, would lie down, randomly and then get shot. They just stood/lay there while I waltzed through and mowed them all down.

(And BTW, what the fuck are the hostigaes doing on the roof, sight seeing?)

At one point I rounded a corner to find 2 Taki's aiming there weapons in the other direction. I got a fright before I remebered, "oh yeah, they all blined and deaf". So I shot one. His buddy does nothing. Not even moving!

As an OPF: CWC fan from release, I'm disapointed with this latest version. I though even Arma2 was better.

Something wrong there. AI are bloody dangerous for most of us.

Are you playing in Cadet mode? Check difficulty settings and put enemy AI at 1

Edited by EDcase

It may also be an issue with your PC. May I ask your specs?

An unfortunate issue with the Arma engine is that the more CPU you need in a mission, the dumber the AI become. This is why large missions like Domination and Warfare feature uber retarded AI.

When I make missions I always keep the process power to the minimum, it makes the fps way better, and makes the AI much, much, much smarter. I find I can have a mission with 2 groups of AI twice as challenging as a mission with 20 groups of AI.

Simply because on the mission with lots of AI, well, they lose the "I". They just become Artificial target practice!

:)

An unfortunate issue with the Arma engine is that the more CPU you need in a mission, the dumber the AI become. This is why large missions like Domination and Warfare feature uber retarded AI.

Hmm my suspicions were true then.

It may also be an issue with your PC. May I ask your specs?

:)

Is this true?

Please can someone confirm this. its not that i dont belive you richiespeed, its just i dont want too :j:

Is this true?

Please can someone confirm this. its not that i dont belive you richiespeed, its just i dont want too :j:

Richespeed is essentially right. The AI in Arma2 require CPU processing power - the more they can use, the better they are. If a mission is so complex that a slow CPU can't handle it, then the AI may start "thinking" slower because they get less CPU cycles.

Is this true?

YEah I can confirm this is true, I remember when I got my new computer it was like I had increased the difficutly setting the AI got so much more deadly!

Richie is correct, its very easy to test just by placing a couple groups in a town :) then do the same with a bunch of groups and see how easy it is to slaughter them compared to just a couple.

@OP have you set friendly and enemy skill to max? plus try enabling super a.i.

Is it just me, or are Taki soldiers retarded? I mean, through the whole SP campaign (all 25 minutes of it) I don't think they did shit. In the "resuce the captives from the palace" / "destroy the scud launchers" mission, the AI ran around for a bit, would lie down, randomly and then get shot. They just stood/lay there while I waltzed through and mowed them all down.

(And BTW, what the fuck are the hostigaes doing on the roof, sight seeing?)

At one point I rounded a corner to find 2 Taki's aiming there weapons in the other direction. I got a fright before I remebered, "oh yeah, they all blined and deaf". So I shot one. His buddy does nothing. Not even moving!

As an OPF: CWC fan from release, I'm disapointed with this latest version. I though even Arma2 was better.

When I played that mission they did quite a bit. Matter of fact my Bradley gunner almost

killed the hostages trying to kill the guy on the roof guarding them. I accidentally hit the reveal button when I was trying to snipe him and the bradley beat me to it with its wonderful HE rounds.

About reveal: Which is why you don't want to have it bound to the right mouse button :)

That very rarely causes problems for me. I have all of the convenient buttons already mapped to other things though. I just should've been smart about it and checked to see what his field of fire was and then put him on hold fire. I need to get a mouse with more buttons though. I really want to use the right mouse button to turn my head(freelook) but I also feel like I need it for zoom and reveal. I already remapped hold breath to left-ctrl. I just need to save up some money I guess.

resuce the captives from the palace

Yeah i got in from behind (Were the enemy tank isnt) and they were all looking the other way even though i was spraying all their buddies in the back with that annoying scoped machinegun. (It was annoying because it zoomed too much for urban combat, i changed it to a FAL in the end) Easy as cake.

Almost my whole team died though, because they refused to get within the palacewalls for easy defence, instead they prefered to die outside where i unloaded them.

And im playing on a Phenom II 955 and performance is very decent, so i have no idea why the AI acted so odd.

Richie is correct, its very easy to test just by placing a couple groups in a town :) then do the same with a bunch of groups and see how easy it is to slaughter them compared to just a couple.

@OP have you set friendly and enemy skill to max? plus try enabling super a.i.

Ahh this explains alot !!

This is why when i clear an entire town of enemys, except, like one, i always die lol. Because he becomes some sort of MEGA AI :D and manages to fire & supress, while flanking and at the same time always being in some ridculous cover (like in a rock) :rolleyes:

I got a dual core, 3.2ghz 4GB ram, and at ATI 4870 x2. Is the CPU a problem? Does the Arma engin make use of multiple cores?

I got so annoyed with it, after running through almost the whole game I thought to myself "wow, this went downhill".

But the exact same system never gave me any problems in Arma2. Ok, I've clean installed, but do I need to change anything?

I got a dual core, 3.2ghz 4GB ram, and at ATI 4870 x2. Is the CPU a problem? Does the Arma engin make use of multiple cores?

I got so annoyed with it, after running through almost the whole game I thought to myself "wow, this went downhill".

But the exact same system never gave me any problems in Arma2. Ok, I've clean installed, but do I need to change anything?

I did a lot of testing and the more clock speed you add, the more AI you can run. It's an exact linear increase in regards to the resulting frame rate. With slower cpu speeds the AI just doesn't have time to be as smart about reacting to human player. Also, if your draw distance is low you may be crippling the competitive nature of the AI. Quad core processor at 4 GHz is really nice.

So what does this mean when your plaing online?

Is it just me, or are Taki soldiers retarded?

I though even Arma2 was better.

Sounds like typical ArmA2 AI :D

Apart of the moment when you shot one and another didn't respond. Maybe they weren't grouped. In far away from being expert with ArmA2 AI, but sounds classical behavior of AIs in separate groups or without group at all. Which is pretty usual way to disable AI from doing idiotic things like attacking or move around too much... Which also has downside with it's the situational awareness thingy.

Wait so all i had to do to make my missions more easier is to get a worse computer or add more enemy's O.o

Just think of it this way, you're supposed to be playing the role of well trained US Army Soldiers and you're supposed to be fighting poorly trained third world conscripts and militia men with little to no training. I think super smart third world conscripts and militias would be just as unrealistic.

Just think of it this way, you're supposed to be playing the role of well trained US Army Soldiers and you're supposed to be fighting poorly trained third world conscripts and militia men with little to no training. I think super smart third world conscripts and militias would be just as unrealistic.

Yeah, but if I walked into your place of work, and shot the dude sitting next to you, I'd expect you'd at least look up from your desk.

Have you tried the latest BETA patch BobbyD?

Very easy to install and remove. (To remove just delete the Beta folder)

What about in the editor?

Place a soldier for yourself and a few enemies nearby. Do they react to you?

Edited by EDcase

But imagine the agony of somebody who plays as a Takistani and he just

has to shoot all those highly trained US Army AI guys. Sometimes after

wiping out the elite AI US Army I have to go eat a whole bag of fritos just to get my head back around the air conditioner.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Yeah, but if I walked into your place of work, and shot the dude sitting next to you, I'd expect you'd at least look up from your desk.

Not if I don't get the processing cycles I need to form a thought.

Have you tried the latest BETA patch BobbyD?

Very easy to install and remove. (To remove just delete the Beta folder)

What about in the editor?

Place a soldier for yourself and a few enemies nearby. Do they react to you?

I just tried that, they only reacted after i shot one then they killed me.

So if your framerate sucks because your hard drive is too slow to churn out all the buildings and your graphics card is weak, but there is nothing in the mission that demands lots of CPU power, will the AI quality suffer?