Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Somalia

last time i checked we were still working on building placement

Any updates on Mogadishu? The Baghdad map might be the biggest city I've seen in ARMA 2 but as for detail, it's lacking

I think thats also the case here as with all big usermade maps where no big team is behind it.

The PMC Desert map just released looks really good however it seems to have the same syndrome as Baghdad where the same copies of buildings are just plopped down : (

The PMC Desert map just released looks really good however it seems to have the same syndrome as Baghdad where the same copies of buildings are just plopped down : (

Yeah noticed that too.

Plus for me(Not sure if everyone else see this too) the textures are horible. I hope PMC Somolia isnt like that!

Tbh I could live with a 25X25 map instead of a 51X51 if there was gonna be more details.

I think thats also the case here as with all big usermade maps where no big team is behind it.

Pretty much on the nail there Takko (& Raserisk/Enad)... big maps are awful intimidating if you're a solo modder... (and even if you're a team - eg: the potentially awesome but now abandoned?? Australia island)...they seem like a good idea at the time, then you actually start serious work, and the realisation that its gonna take a minimum of 3 months to populate a "duala-sized" area properly kicks in, closely followed by the realisation that your island is FOUR dualas in size! (or sixteen dualas, if it's 40x40km) A Year at least!!!!

At that point, especially with "cities", the temptation to "copy, rotate and paste" whole towns becomes really strong! ;)

Roads are similarly scary... a "middle of nowhere" style imaginary terrain isn't so bad - with Homers new roadtool its possible to get basic roads from one end of a big map to the other fairly quickly... but if it's something realworld, and fairly populated, you could end up with several hundred miles of road to lay! Copy 'n paste becomes an attractive option again...

This is one of the reasons the big maps tend to be largely oriented towards the flyboys - minimal ground detail and large areas of not very much...

theres a couple more "biggies" in the pipeline... I contributed a (very basic) 40x40km SE England\Channel base terrain with roadguides to CSJ's "The Few" mod, which I believe is being developed, and just recently, I had a sneak fly around on RKSL Rock's impressive "Ilhamarrom" terrain, which is big enough to actually fly his Typhoon at full tilt in a straight line for nearly 30 seconds without running out of groundspace!

Needless to say it's still a little "empty" on the ground...

Big maps AND decent ground detail takes time... it's the little details that make the terrain believable at ground level, and they're often the last things to be added... another few months and I'm sure you'll see considerably more progress in this, and hopefully one or two of the other big terrains...

This particular project has some experienced and committed guys working on it... it'll all come together, and be awesome..... just give them time...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I made three normal sized islands for OFP back in the day using Visitor:

1st Island: 3 Months; thought it was okay

2nd Island: 2 Months; I thought it was worse

3rd Island: 4 Months; best one I ever made

That was before you had to do all the satellite photos and the clutter masks. Not to mention potentially making your own clutter and all the textures. Plus forests were single pieces in the size of 50mx50m or something like that. They weren't made out of individual objects. I would imagine that these days it takes quite a bit longer.

vte development is going off like a rocket , I've almost forgotten about the mod. Almost..

we were last working on the rangers, but ran into serious uv issues .....

My friend is working on a BDU model , which may be the replacement for the arma 1 model base .

Ah okay, nice to know about the skins. Personally I'm more interested with the maps, any other progress on Mogadishu and the others?

After we release VTE (full), we plan on releasing PMC Somalia on the traditional way in direct http download. How many weeks/months after VTE this would happen depends solely on how burnt out for editing I am at that point (because this needs one round of work before releasing, simply packing it up is not really an option at this point).

I did new building placement for Mogadishu terrain since the last screenshots but nothing more is done for it.

My tip: Go easy on the green in the desert camo. It looks and feels like, not to be harsh but it feels like s**t. Every mod and all the units got these awful green textures. Let the beige and the brown be more dominant.

Awesome job guys. Looking forward to the big day!

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

What i mean by awful is this:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsyDGvr

It's personal taste tbh. And keep it mind colors could look different on your system depending on your monitor / gfx card settings.

The green looks pretty normal to me.