Sign in to follow this  
Barso

Will there be an Arma 3?

BIS can take as long as they what with ARMA3, the current game will still have years of fun in it and will only get better with DLC and patching. Have been playing series since Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis some 10 years in all and the one thing that warms my heart is BIS are passionate about this series and have not pumped out games for a quick buck and moved onto the next one stopping support for the last, a practice oh so common in todays pc market.

Edited by Tempai

I really hope so I hope they continue to make ARMA 3,4,5,6 hehehe or some other name BUT I have said it before and will say it again please please please dont dumb it down this game is a sim and that's it this is why we all love it so much.

Screw Arma 3. More Arma II patches and content will make this all we need.

Yea.. +1 to ^Th0mas^.

For me ArmA1 was "love in 1st sight"..but it wasn't last ..

ArmAII came and now O.A...

I personally need more time with my favorite hobby..and i want to see it

getting even better with mainly free content stuff..that doesn't "divide" our

size-not-so-big MP and community.

In the other hand..i m not strongly believe we 'll see a VBS3 also.

I think the main customers of VBS ..(ARMY)..they have to upgrade all their

machines to be able to play something "heavier" than VBS2 ..and this

"goes 2 far"-or i m wrong?? ^^

Oh..good luck with "Gaea" BIS guyz.It looks amazing and brings back memories

from the past ;D

I know BI are a small company and I can't believe what they've done with arma 2 and OA.

They have put multi million corps. like EA to shame with what they have done.

But I fear that there won't be an arma 3 as they must get little return for what is the greatest open world game I've ever played.

Do they see an arma3 in the future or is this it for them or will they take arma 3 to the consoles in a scaled down environment?

Thanks.

V B S!!!!!! BIS will always have enough money to make ArmA sequels because of how much they make in the private sector with the VBS training programs! They sell for like $1000 alone? i think

V B S!!!!!! BIS will always have enough money to make ArmA sequels because of how much they make in the private sector with the VBS training programs! They sell for like $1000 alone? i think

BIS doesn't make VBS, BIA makes it. I'm not sure if BIS gets any money from VBS. Although BIA is under BIS. BIS also offers various services such as motion capture, 3D scanning, RED digital cinema, audio recording studio, Linda CG vegetation, and a stage.

You can view all of their services here:

http://pro.bistudio.com/

I don't know what kind of money they make, nor are any of us in a position to be discussing it.

I doubt BIS is getting rich by that.

Enough money to have a happy group of developers who make games they deeply care about.

They wouldn't make a multi-million dollar game if it was only going to sell to a few forum members. (exagerating)

BIS is in good shape, whenever they get games over to consoles is the time when they will get more spotlight

Maruk(CEO) said in a Czech interview that each of their games rakes in plenty of cash (millions of euros) plus with all the services they offer you get the point.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I doubt BIS is getting rich by that.

Military organizations pay up good. :)

I really hope they will take their time with ArmA3 and deliver us something really amazing, not some half-assed product like the first ArmA.

ArmA1 definitely had it's share of bugs on release, heck the ArmA1 demo (v1.05) caused a few of my friends to have to reformat.

That being said, it wasn't as hideous as we'd all like to believe by reading the forums. Patch 1.14 got IGN's "Patch of the Year" award for it's massive bug fixes and additions.

All things considered, the amount of time to get to 1.14 was not all that long either.

If an ArmA3 IS made, then I would like to see six things:

1) 6 degrees of movement for TrackIR in the aircraft cockpits (should be there now)

2) More user intensive cockpits (ie one has to use the targeting screen in the cockpit instead of just hitting F & TAB)

3) More realistic and higher fidelity flight models (aircraft are too easy to fly atm)

4) Armored vehicle interiors (immersion please :) )

5) Environmental effects with rain (even if two stage puddles just magically appear it's better than what we have now.

6) A diverse environment. Takistan is a great start, but those snow covered mountains in the map's backdrop would be awesome if they were accessible. Desert to forrested to high altitude winter peaks.

Things I don't want to see:

1) Arcade-style character movements. Actors in spandex move smoothly. Soldiers in combat gear do not.

2) Knives & Bayonets. No, just no.

3) Fictional weapons or vehicles. It's bad enough the XM8 was in ArmA 2. That program was cancelled and the weapon never hit standard issue. Also, the Unmanned Little Bird is still in development, not in field production. The standard UAV would have kept it more realistic.

ArmA1 definitely had it's share of bugs on release, heck the ArmA1 demo (v1.05) caused a few of my friends to have to reformat.

That being said, it wasn't as hideous as we'd all like to believe by reading the forums. Patch 1.14 got IGN's "Patch of the Year" award for it's massive bug fixes and additions.

All things considered, the amount of time to get to 1.14 was not all that long either.

If an ArmA3 IS made, then I would like to see six things:

1) 6 degrees of movement for TrackIR in the aircraft cockpits (should be there now)

2) More user intensive cockpits (ie one has to use the targeting screen in the cockpit instead of just hitting F & TAB)

3) More realistic and higher fidelity flight models (aircraft are too easy to fly atm)

4) Armored vehicle interiors (immersion please :) )

5) Environmental effects with rain (even if two stage puddles just magically appear it's better than what we have now.

6) A diverse environment. Takistan is a great start, but those snow covered mountains in the map's backdrop would be awesome if they were accessible. Desert to forrested to high altitude winter peaks.

Things I don't want to see:

1) Arcade-style character movements. Actors in spandex move smoothly. Soldiers in combat gear do not.

2) Knives & Bayonets. No, just no.

3) Fictional weapons or vehicles. It's bad enough the XM8 was in ArmA 2. That program was cancelled and the weapon never hit standard issue. Also, the Unmanned Little Bird is still in development, not in field production. The standard UAV would have kept it more realistic.

Same with the SCAR.

I am a big fan of realism but it is something I dont care THAT much about.

I would just like to see another Arrowhead type of expansion.

Really all we are lacking in aircraft cockpits is the ability to sit up and raise, the zoom does a wall enough job of simulating 'leaning' and the whole head tilt thing in aircraft sims I just don't get..the eyes focus and even if you tilt your head fully sideways your view doesn't tilt like a camera does.

Render to texture screens would be great to have in so many ways, aircraft, tanks, infantry equipment it could be used everywhere but for something like this they would need to have it so it doesn't render everything such specular, normal maps, possibly a lower resolution texture etc.

Although for modern systems such as planes and helicopters you'd be replacing it with drawing a box or targetting a click box or lasing a target then firing while keeping it lased, that "TV Guided" stuff is mostly old stuff not modern.

All I request for Arma 3 is that BIS just keep doing what they are doing now.

:)

Im not sure if anyone noticed, but on idea games' facebook publicity thing, They announced a 1.07 arma 2 linux hotfix thing, as their status.

But underneath the status it says...

Game Updates - ARMA 2

www.arma2.com

ARMA 2 - The Ultimate Military Simulation for PC and Next-Gen Console

Which of course says next-gen console, I asked them to expand on it, but as always they ignored. So perhaps it will end up on consoles.

I dont know that will be a bad thing or a good thing, If BIS do make it for the console then i hope to god they make it modable so that both console and pc users can play together.. In harmony :-)

personally I like to see smoother transition between prone, knee, and stand. personally I play sniper style and alot of the time when i creep up to a town and hiding behind a rock, i like to poke my head out abit to scout the town w/o having to expose half of my torso to enemy fire.

kinda like how rainbow six did with the mouse wheel to cracking open a door and roll a flashbang into a room w/o fully opening the door. the geometry when crawling over a rock or a crumbled wall is the only real weakness in the game IMO.

I think there will be one but not for around 3-4 years and i think it should take place during vietnam

I think there will be one but not for around 3-4 years and i think it should take place during vietnam

Do you mean IN Vietnam or during the Vietnam Conflict? I hope you mean the former!

If BIS go back in time... lol I will rage.

Seeing how vastly different Arma 2 was compared to Arma 1, I can't wait to see the enormous list of new stuff that will exist in the new one, if there is a new one.

I would love for arma 3 to take place in the 80s -- cold war going hot.

As for going back in time, there aren't many super powers today. China has never really been a big aggressor, it could take place in korea as well. Storylines are a lot more immersive for me when both sides can lose. They aren't as fun when the super power has no chance to lose, their way of life won't change ectect.

Edited by Windexglow

I would love for arma 3 to take place in the 80s -- cold war going hot.

As for going back in time, there aren't many super powers today. China has never really been a big aggressor, it could take place in korea as well. Storylines are a lot more immersive for me when both sides can lose. They aren't as fun when the super power has no chance to lose, their way of life won't change ectect.

I must agree, the scenarios in OFP were awesome, although I must also confess that these whole "Russia vs the world" situations are kind of getting old lol!

I definitely don't want to go back in time though, I think modern technology can be really fascinating in a game like Arma. I would like a good modern scenario, using the latest and maybe even prototype technology, (nothing fictional though), maybe a conflict involving US and Russia on the same side for once, against possible threats from places like China or Japan.

Or they could really mix it up, a scenario where British/US troops are deployed into somewhere involved in a civil war, and their task is to try and keep peace. But obviously they would be hugely out numbered, could create some very gritty experiences.

I am not really sure, as there are infinite different situations which could exist. Just some ideas! :D

Arma3 should be delayed until something like 2014 or so, because by that time, Ohara (BIS Lead-Dev for Landscape, Trees, Environment) is expecting to see hardware by that time capable of simulating real-world object-density/variability in their engine(s).

This with finally all of those oddities and flaws removed from the game (this should be made clear at development planning already, as the most things are heavy design flaws) and it would be another REAL Blockbuster for sure.

To entertain us up to that point and to keep the cashflow upright, bring out major engine-updates for A2 every year, with good-made expansions like Operation-Arrowhead.

Nice Plan for future, eh? :-)

China as OPFOR Vs U.S and allies as Blufor,maybe a Tiawan grab by China or possible China VS. Russia with U.S. intervention,I wonder who's side we would choose in that one?Or maybe an India VS. Pakistan war or possible second Korean War.As an American,I am proud to say we would stick our nose in any of these situations.:D

Or an Isreali war Vs. everyone else in the Middle east that hates them.That could easily turn into WWIII with the U.S and Nato backing Isreal and Russia siding with the Arab nations to protect thier interests in the region,that could get real nasty and it is fortold in the Bible so we should be seeing it soon.Better make ARMA 3 quick before the Apocolypse.;)

China as OPFOR Vs U.S and allies as Blufor,

Has been done to death... Besides, it really wouldn't offer anything new.

Whatever BI does...Don't go into Future shit please...Stick with Modern, or like the past posts...Vietnam and what not

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Arma3 should be delayed until something like 2014 or so, because by that time, Ohara (BIS Lead-Dev for Landscape, Trees, Environment) is expecting to see hardware by that time capable of simulating real-world object-density/variability in their engine(s).

This with finally all of those oddities and flaws removed from the game (this should be made clear at development planning already, as the most things are heavy design flaws) and it would be another REAL Blockbuster for sure.

To entertain us up to that point and to keep the cashflow upright, bring out major engine-updates for A2 every year, with good-made expansions like Operation-Arrowhead.

Nice Plan for future, eh? :-)

And yes, Very good Plan for the Future :)...Maybe not make the game 40 bucks...(Campaign was too easy to beat, but still fun no doubt :D)...but I understand with all the new content and stuff why it was 40 bucks, but still should of been about 15 mission campaign for that kind of money hehe :)

I really dont want any ArmA 3 right know. Its not because I dont want to play another ArmA later, but I want BIS to focus their work only on improving ArmA II at the moment.

I really like ArmA II. The game is great, so if BIS could use their time on improving the driving AI, AI in general and fix the remaining bugs, we`ll have a flawless military simutor in a while.

If they release a ArmA III we`ll probably have to wait again for patches to be released after the game is done. These games are complex, so I really want BIS to work on the game we have now.