Sign in to follow this  
NutzMcKracken

Cluster Bomb pack Beta Release 1.0

I tried it again it indeed it does work. I thought for sure I was above 100meters before but I guess not.

This is so you you have a proper dispersion effect, think of it like a "shotgun effect" but with bomblets and you want the "shot" or bomblets to disperse over an area. In reality the bomb spins and disperses using this method along with the explosive bolts.

If the bomb doesn't "pop" then its not actuating and you are either too low or you don't have CBA installed or running with mod as it requires Extended_Eventhandlers.

Thanks for answering on this Mando! I've been busy with work past couple months on some big projects so Dev has been slow and on back-burner.

Any further news on this mod? It's been over four months.

Yes-

Here's some details I released in Work In Progress:

5533776717_68c0b1ab31_m.jpg

-Made some major improvements on models and texturing.

-Improvements and revisions to scripts and effects as a whole.

-Also adding to other Planes with multiple configs to work with addons individually. (Will be limited to 3 Non-BIS ArmA 2 / OA Fixed wing aircraft on release)

Example, lets add the bombs to the ANZAC F-111F and let the Ai have a go with my "Lay-z-or":

S18y1xxeZCs&hd=1

Sound effects are a work in progress at the moment.

I'm rather interested in knowing when we can expect a signed version of the mod.

In less then 2 weeks!

Thanks for showing some interest!

I'll have a non beta and signed release that I'll post the night of the 14th in order to catch some on their Friday morning of the 15th this month, no April Fool's!

Been a busy cycle at work this last week, this week and next so I haven't been able to devote to this project too much time, but its definitely NOT dead!

More details coming!

Good to hear. Regarding my post from way back when, do you plan to do some Russian cluster bombs as well?

I'd make them spin if I knew how for even more of a realistic effect!

Bit late of a response, but isn't he CBU-87/89 one of the few cluster bombs that does this? I don't think the Mk-20 does.

Mk-20 doesn't spin I believe as well and no plans of doing that anyhow. Plus changed direction with the "CBU-87", moving forward with a derivative of it ;)

As far as Russian Cluster bombs, no plans at the moment as I'm working on a bigger project along with this and will be focusing my attention to it after this is released. It's actually slightly related to the Cluster Bombs or at least will be carrying them. Details will follow soon. I have some teasers but no clearance yet to share them "publicly" though and best served in a different Thread. :)

Due to being sick this past weekend and and earlier this week, only to return to work today, I'm delaying the project for a week at least.

I have a large amount of work to catch up on at the moment.

For those expecting a release today I do apologize, and will have a static date soon.

nice add-on, but little overpowered for [relatively small]Arma2 islands. and no similar things for OPFOR, Resistance.

especially if you add GPU/INS-guided cluster bombs, which can hit 0.5m x 0.5m tgts.

Edited by BasileyOne

nice add-on, but little overpowered for [relatively small]Arma2 islands. and no similar things for OPFOR, Resistance.

especially if you add GPU/INS-guided cluster bombs, which can hit 0.5x0.5x tgts.

There's a reason I was asking for RBK bombs. :D

There's a reason I was asking for RBK bombs. :D

&KMGU pods, haha. then would be KAB-xxx GBU's with cluser warheads to keep balance w/counterparts.

maybe Subj will contribute/grant permission into "missile pack" add-on ?

Due to being sick this past weekend and and earlier this week, only to return to work today, I'm delaying the project for a week at least.

I have a large amount of work to catch up on at the moment.

For those expecting a release today I do apologize, and will have a static date soon.

good to hear you are back up on your feet

Sorry to dig this thread back up, but has there been any further development?

No recent developments. Work has been really busy and recently went on vacation!

I'll be digging this back up after work has settled down in the next week.

Also en-light of ArmA 3 announcement and increase in social obligations over the summer I'll be slow on making headway. I thought I'd be forthright and honest about this so as to not set to high of expectations.

To get an idea of how busy I've been; I'm working on this project alone, provide IT for a busy office, side business, a gorgeous girlfriend and 2 kids to take care of.

So when I get the chance I try to do some developing on the side :)

Sorry its taken so long to get something out!

Glad to see you're still around, though. The big reason I like this mod is because all the current alternatives for cluster bombs use scripting to do it, and the scripts cause massive slowdown on weapon impact, making them absolutely unusable for any kind of MP game.

Well this is scripted ina certain sense, the other cluster bombs I've seen spawn the bomblets on impact. This one spawns on timer and gives vectors for a sprawl affect.

But glad you enjoy it too. Check out nuebers youtube of his modeled CBU. What I'd love to do something like that in ARMA 3. I'm looking forward to what the physics and animation engine will be like and how it might be customizable for this bomblet. Heck I actually wouldn't be surprised if BIS made one. Having a stock CBU at least like this would be off the hook.

Edited by NutzMcKracken

Thanks for the mention. :)

I was going to add that most slow down caused in MP is from people thinking that its better to spawn the bomblets out over time, which is not the case. It is better to spawn them all as quickly as possible, preferably in a single frame. This way the network traffic is kept to a minimum (ArmA2 prioritizes vehicle creation calls into as few frames as possible). If you are sending many creation calls across just as many packets then the chance for one of those packets to get lost is much higher and the chance of desync increases.

For my DPICM rounds (essentially cluster bombs artillery shells) I spawn all the bomblets in one frame and desync has rarely been an issue, even with 8-10 rounds exploding within seconds of each other.

The drop in FPS from effects though, that is solely on the clients. :p

The drop in FPS from effects though, that is solely on the clients. :p

That is another unacceptable problem with all the current cluster bomb scripts I've seen (besides this one). If just one bomb causes such a huge slowdown for several seconds, having a couple people release multiple bombs over a period of time would be unplayable.

That is another unacceptable problem with all the current cluster bomb scripts I've seen (besides this one). If just one bomb causes such a huge slowdown for several seconds, having a couple people release multiple bombs over a period of time would be unplayable.

I've found the normal 40mm grenade effects work pretty well FPS wise. I have tweaked it slightly for DPICM.

This looks awesome, really hoping to see more of this :)

The stable release is coming soon.

I know its been since creation that I posted or updated this.

But here's a quick video I threw together.

I think I might have a fps recording rate issue, so forgive the poor quality or skipping. Revising shortly.

s7YqY0rxmH4

Watch in 1080p to see the bomblet affects best.

What's new:

• Improved textures for CBU-87 and CBU-103 (with proper tailfin kits).
  • Gameplay optimizing, amounts of cluster bomblets optimized for payload and different bombs will require different Targeting designation.
  • Added script classes that will carry only CBU's with large payload magazines for airsupport.
  • Effects optimization's and enhancement's . Enhanced cluster Unit pop and bomblet effects

What it looks like from the ground:

Here's a simple video we made during testing to record and test effects on ground.

I do apologize for at the end being overly pleased by the effects and voice over, I didn't realize at the end its a little loud till after upload and have since not released it due to that. I have yet the chance to get a good recording of someone dropping them for me :)

SF7gwZpZdjQ