Sign in to follow this  
metalcraze

BIS, what have you done to lighting?

I like OA Lightining, no cones lights and the green of the grass stay a little green even at night, not dark or black like pic 1.

Hahaha, thats funny since its supposed to be dusk/night time. ( I guess you don't like night missions then)

FACT: The "cones" (colour perception) in the retina are not as sensitive in low light therefore scenes look more grey.

Also notice in the OA pic you can't see the street light by the farm at the bottom.

mrcash2009: Yes, it will look different on different monitors but the difference between the two images is clear.

Edited by EDcase

for me, it looks like you have turn the brightness and contrast very high

Fixed in 71891. Was disabled by mistake with introduction of Thermal Imaging mode.

So it was a bug.

So it was a bug? Gotta try that new beta when I'll come home later, but can anyone confirm it made night look like night?

for me, it looks like you have turn the brightness and contrast very high

Nah. The settings are identical to the ones in original AA2, that's the point.

And yeah, when it's too dark you can't see the world in anything else but greyscale due to how the eye is "built" - only lightsources like lampposts add colour, which BIS simulated in AA2 well. Moon doesn't provide enough light to make the world being seen in such a clear way..

What completely rocks with OA is the way you no longer need moonlight to see where you thread, as long as there is still some atmospheric glow. Sun has set, there is no moon, but the sky is still slightly blue, causing enough light to make ground details faintly visible, and obviously you're not casting a shadow. In Arma2, ground would now be pitch black and you couldn't see a thing. When sky is black, then naturally the ground is black too. The Arma2 method really put a severe limit on non NVG missions.

Fixed in the new patch :) well i think thats what it says :)

What completely rocks with OA is the way you no longer need moonlight to see where you thread, as long as there is still some atmospheric glow. Sun has set, there is no moon, but the sky is still slightly blue, causing enough light to make ground details faintly visible, and obviously you're not casting a shadow. In Arma2, ground would now be pitch black and you couldn't see a thing. When sky is black, then naturally the ground is black too. The Arma2 method really put a severe limit on non NVG missions.

So you've obviously never been out on a moonless night in the country- there was one night when I couldn't even see my own hand in front of me, luckily I had a flashlight.

Misread what Carl wrote- I agree that if there is a tiny bit of light then you should be able to see a tiny bit as Bolded above.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
Cause sometimes my eyes fail me even with sufficient light! Lol

It is true, I live in the country and moonless nights it gets veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery, well you're basicly blind or almost.

For atmospheric lighting just add the night module, gave it a quick test and it gave the green landscape a more greyish blue overlay.

It is true, I live in the country and moonless nights it gets veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery, well you're basicly blind or almost.

For atmospheric lighting just add the night module, gave it a quick test and it gave the green landscape a more greyish blue overlay.

So you've obviously never been out on a moonless night in the country- there was one night when I couldn't even see my own hand in front of me, luckily I had a flashlight.

Hmm, I thought I wrote.... Wait a minute... Yes I did.

When sky is black, then naturally the ground is black too. The Arma2 method really put a severe limit on non NVG missions.

I wasn't talking about the pitch black night, but rather the moonless dusk and dawn when there still is some glow left in the atmosphere. Sun may have set, but it still takes a while to get dark. In Arma2, you couldn't see the ground in front of you even if the sky was glowing bright after sunset.

Arma 2 really shines at twilight. Daytime is pretty good but it is really something at dawn and dusk.

Hmm, I thought I wrote.... Wait a minute... Yes I did.

I wasn't talking about the pitch black night, but rather the moonless dusk and dawn when there still is some glow left in the atmosphere. Sun may have set, but it still takes a while to get dark. In Arma2, you couldn't see the ground in front of you even if the sky was glowing bright after sunset.

Ah sorry Carl, I misread what you wrote! Then I agree totaly!

Arma 2 really shines at twilight. Daytime is pretty good but it is really something at dawn and dusk.

this. very much. has been that way since the original operation flashpoint really.

Have anyone tested if there is a difference on OA Chernarus and OA Takistan? I mean, is it a global thing happening to everything or something built into the worlds config?

all we can do at this point is change the date, may 28th vs 13th yeilded pitch black terrain vs lit.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/misc/may28.jpg?t=1278213306

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/misc/movenight.jpg?t=1278213618

maybe it's not so much the lighting as much as something with the sky since the darker terrain has a brighter sky..maybe on some dates Arma2 does indeed become one with the twilight realm. on the plus side vehicle lights can now be seen in the water.

By the way what is the best time to catch the sunrise/sunset with the orange and pink coloration?

Edited by NodUnit

Ehm, you have a 15 day period span there. That's like half a month. Moon - month :p So in the first picture you have no moon and in the other you have a full moon somewhere (probably behind you). That's where that lighting is coming from, and what I'd expect from both Arma2 and OA.

But, what happens if you take may 28th at 0400 hours for Chernarus/Utes? This night will have no moon at this hours, so should be pretty darn dark. But it's early morning so the sky would glow towards the east (sunrise).

My question is: Will the scenario look different (ambient ground lighting) look any different when using Arma2 Chernarus/Utes than when using OA Chernarus/Utes?

If it does, then it means that the lighting engine has received some kind of upgrade affecting everything (a good thing if you ask me). If it looks the same, then it means there are numbers in the Takistan world config that is causing the change of lighting caused by "atmospheric glow" that could take some time to get implemented in addon islands.

The colour is the problem, and mine is out, even with the patch. It's far too saturated (colour) to be a moonlit night, it just looks wrong. If you're going to go for the arcade-style bright night then at least put a nice looking blue filter over it like Bad Company 2 instead of green. I loved the original arma night, it looked so awesome, but this is terrible.

Night should be black and white (eye cannot pick of colour in such low light situations), extremely dark (even with a full moon) and have a lot of contrast (objects/trees/people generally appear black). There is very little ambient light (I think that's how it works) so the only light is from straight up (meaning that shadows are totally black).

I'd love to see this fixed, at least to how it was in A1 or even A2.

Haven't read the whole thread, so I apologise if I am saying something already said.

But all you have to do is place a couple of modules down in the editor, and an entire array of lighting effects will be activated. Hell, with some tiny scripting skills you can make your own colour pallet.

Try placing down some of these, either alone, or together:

Environment Colours Module

Environment Effects Module

Film Effects: Day

Film Effects: Night

Film effects night will instantly give you the bluish unsaturated colour you are looking for, environment colours will dynamically change as the whether/time of day/time of year changes.

What patch are we talking about? Don't think 1.52 fixes this, you'll need the latest beta patch (new one out today as well):

[71891] Fixed: Night vision simulation was not simulating color sensitivity and blue shift in dark scenes.

Works well for me. The problem was extreme on Chernarus due to the rather strong colors, and yes, obviously a bug. I only saw it on Takistan at the time. With the beta, looks pretty much as I remember from Arma2.

Ah right, beta patch, lol, go me. I thought it was the 1.52.

erm i'm not aware of extremely dark while full moon and clear sky ...

i mean i can clearly see in such nights and definitely not in just b&w mode

erm i'm not aware of extremely dark while full moon and clear sky ...

i mean i can clearly see in such nights and definitely not in just b&w mode

Yep, I love the way the moon and star cycles affect light.

For anyone who doesn't want to use modules, set the time to about 11pm, and between Jan 30th - Feb 5th 2009, with weather set to sunny. The moon will illuminate the area beautifully.

Smoke is quite see-through at night/very early morning though, you might want to take a look at that (shine a flashlight on it and it's opaque again).

Tested with red smoke, if I remember well.

For games, (most, many?) people want playability first, reality last, even though many 'shout' for reality. For most/many/?, staring at a black screen while playing a game (at night, in the game) is not fun. ( I am not necessarily talking about OA.)

Truth be told, light aspects of night fighting are not discernible, well, until you are actually in that particular night. Yes, even in the 'old days', forecasts were sometimes available, but again... . 'Some' use to 'develop' visual purple. (There was not night vision equipment for most.) I doubt the Dev's want to get into that, heh. And even at night, especially at night, I should say, a face stick better be used.

Speaking for myself, for the game, no moon, no see without NV, or barely see... full moon, see pretty good without NV.

I guess it is too late for the Dev's to worry about making a poll on the matter. Anyway, as mentioned, there will always be mods.

Also, I, personally, have never seen (true) color at night without some form of a man made light source.

Smoke is quite see-through at night/very early morning though, you might want to take a look at that (shine a flashlight on it and it's opaque again).

Tested with red smoke, if I remember well.

You have to be talking about the game, right?

EDIT: "pretty good", is subjective. ... And, to clarify, "(There was not night vision equipment for most.)", there was some 'night sights', but not NV as is common with modern troops.

Edited by CyOp