v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

Great stuff! Works almost fine here! I disabled the lean and zoom though, but they do work. Thank you, V4Friend for creating this! :)

My cheap cam starts at 20Hz with the software and quickly deteriorates below 10Hz.

JITTERING! This only happens when the game gets above 50FPS (near 60FPS?). I fixed it a little bit by turning on Vsync. However, it's still there even with vsync on. I'm taking a guess that the software could only be giving inputs 50 times per second, so when game FPS exceeds 50 then sometimes input values are nil?

:icon_lol:

qkgUWNAzoY4

Looks like it works pretty well for you, and at 10 Hz, too? What settings are you using? Also, do you see any degradation in performance using VSync? I've always had it off because I've heard people say that it degrades performance in ArmA2 and I've personally noticed a significant drop in average framerate with it on, though that could be due to the fact that it caps the framerate at 60, so the overall high values are not included in the average.

Looks like it works pretty well for you, and at 10 Hz, too? What settings are you using? Also, do you see any degradation in performance using VSync? I've always had it off because I've heard people say that it degrades performance in ArmA2 and I've personally noticed a significant drop in average framerate with it on, though that could be due to the fact that it caps the framerate at 60, so the overall high values are not included in the average.

Well yeah, there's gonna be a big drop in average framerate if you're able to get FPS above vsync rates. ;)

I haven't really noticed any performance drop. I still get the Jittering when FPS goes exactly above 50, it gets worse as the framerate increases after that. With vsync on then the effects are somewhat capped. I just have to avoid looking at the sky and ground, that has to be done manually (keep head in the 7 degrees threshold that I have set). It took me a while to figure this out! Since I was testing on Utes.

3321-facetracksettings.jpg

Yeah I was testing on Utes as well, which is why it was so jittery (very high framerates there). The up and down was the part I had the problem with mostly as well, but I hope it can/will get sorted out in a future release. :cool:

@Dead3yez:

Can you give us your HW setup?

I only have an i5 with a GT240 card, so it's pretty hard to get beyond 50fps ;)

V4Friend setup is even worse

sorry pal... :)

Edited by ronski

@Dead3yez:

Can you give us your HW setup?

gtx260, so really this only works in dense areas without looking up at the sky or at the ground in Chernarus. In Utes, it's a nightmare. It's definately not perfect as I more than often hit above 50FPS.

Hello ArmA-fans,

After a period of testing and tweaking, we have now released the first update for FaceTrackNoIR. You can find it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/files/

The update includes a few short-keys, to start/stop head-tracking while playing and a EWMA-filter has been implemented, to reduce jitter. Please try it and let us know what you think of it :cool:

FaceTrackNoIR is now also compatible with PPJoy (virtual joystick) and together with GlovePIE it can be 'chained', so TrackIR games can now also use FaceTrackNoIR. Well, the older ones anyway.

Please let us know, if you have successfully used FTNoIR with any game or flight-sim :)

V4Friend

wow,that´s great news.I had a lot of flimmering with the last version.Will test it now. The Setting fot start\stop while playing is great!

Just a quick question I had about this, does this use up any more system resources than comparable ones such as TrackIR?

just cant get this to work

engine constantly on initializing

Just testing now, still looking fully up gives jitters, and also the same when looking down, although it seams like it has improved a bit, i never got the really bad jitters anyway, so maybe other people would be better to test.

What i have found is that sometimes its a bit "wavey" when i just want to look straight ahead, how do you adjust the dead zones ?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

I have to say, as per the previous chaps idea, i disabled zoom and roll, and it makes it much nicer to use.............

a little Feedback: for me there´s much less jittering,only when i move my head strong in an direction.Roll and zooming is disabled too,because i want´t get warm with it.When i got the settings playable (sensitive mainly) it will be a really good addition in my little armaversum!

A poor hint for german users: the "="-key is "+\*"

Just testing now, still looking fully up gives jitters, and also the same when looking down, although it seams like it has improved a bit, i never got the really bad jitters anyway, so maybe other people would be better to test.

What i have found is that sometimes its a bit "wavey" when i just want to look straight ahead, how do you adjust the dead zones ?

Pretty much the same results here.

Also, I believe the "neutral zone" setting controls the dead zone.

What version of the CRT (assume C++ runtime?) is required for this? I get a R630 CRT not initialized error when I try to run it. I've installed the FaceAPI and the HeadTracking demo as well.

@Monkfish: Have you tried the faceAPI demo? If that works, FTNoIR will too. Maybe it sound dumb, but you might have to re-install or update your web-cam software?

@Nithrakis: I don't really know about the CRT. You need .NET framework 3.5 (doesn't that cover CRT?), but the installation for that should be invoked by the setup of FTNoIR.

Edited by V4Friend

Spent a while trying to set it up, once it was going it worked pretty damn well. Just required some getting used to not moving my head around so much (also decreasing the aiming deadzone makes it a helluva lot easier to use with infantry)

Would be nice if BIS added 6DOF actually giving forwards/backwards leaning action (and if leaning worked in vehicles), would make things like looking across passengers out of car windows or spotting in helicopter gunner spot much easier and more effective

Edited by DaveP

@Dead3yez: What CPU do you have?

We're trying to isolate the problem, so we need more info on each individual hw setup

tnx

The stutter and flickering has disappeared. I'm tuning it now, but it's way much better than before. And also the analog zoom works fine.

Thank you!

Would it possible to reassign the Backspace key?

Vote for "Implement faceAPI" at A2CIT for asking BI to have this in-game.

If ArmA2 beta crashes at startup while FreeTrackNoIR is running, just restart ArmA2 and it will work. This happens to my other mates too that are installing this little software gem!

Edited by alef
arma2 crash

Still having real problems with this. Flickering of the display is just too much.

The demo seems to be absolutely fine however. Thoughts ?

tried out the updated version lastnight and the application kept crashing after roughly 10min of gameplay without any real detail as to why other than a popup that said "this application has stopped working". This didn't happen when I tested the first released app.

bummer.

win 7 64bit

4G ram

ATI 4850

ArmA2 1.05

no beta

The stutter and flickering has disappeared. I'm tuning it now, but it's way much better than before. And also the analog zoom works fine.

Thank you!

Would it possible to reassign the Backspace key?

Vote for "Implement faceAPI" at A2CIT for asking BI to have this in-game.

If ArmA2 beta crashes at startup while FreeTrackNoIR is running, just restart ArmA2 and it will work. This happens to my other mates too that are installing this little software gem!

Can help to provide your settings?

I had the same crashing A2 problem, as well as the software sometimes clonking out half way

Specs:

Vista

Core2Quad Q6600 CPU

3GB RAM

Nvid 8800GT GPU

MS Lifecam VX-3000 (getting about 25-30Hz ingame)

@Alef: Making the short-keys 'mappable' is indeed one of the 'future-enhancements' we want. I'm thinking about a practical way to program such a function. Ideas?

About starting ArmA2: when I start ArmA2 it always shuts down once :eek:, on second start it works fine :confused: I've read that this also happens to some Free-track users. I guess it has something to do with the client-connection of ArmA2 to the Free-track DLL. Maybe the ArmA developers can do something about it?

@Ebola: That's a difficult one :butbut: We cannot reproduce your problem (using Vista 32-bit) and have not yet received any feedback from others, experiencing the same... You say it's FaceTrackNoIR crashing? Does it also do that, when you don't start the Tracker, or when you start the Tracker with the FlightGear or PPjoy protocol? (Just trying to pinpoint the problem...)

@DaveP:

as well as the software sometimes clonking out half way

What software do you mean?

V4

Edited by V4Friend

Hi V4Friend,

I'll get back to you on the PPjoy or Flightgear protocol used, not sure which one was selected now.

I do know the update app of FaceTrackNoIR crashes;

- after about roughly 10min with

- tracking on with

- arma2 running and

- no other application running in the background.

this is really only a comparison to what I was doing previously, running the original release with all of the above without FaceTrackNoIR crashing.

From memory, with arma2 minimised, Ram usage sits about 110mb with cpu <10%. Not sure if this spikes with arma2 un-minimised.

I'll test it without arma2 running to see if it changes anything in terms of stability.

cheers

Ebola

@Ebola: That's a difficult one We cannot reproduce your problem (using Vista 32-bit) and have not yet received any feedback from others, experiencing the same... You say it's FaceTrackNoIR crashing? Does it also do that, when you don't start the Tracker, or when you start the Tracker with the FlightGear or PPjoy protocol? (Just trying to pinpoint the problem...)

Some times my Arma also shuts down instantly upon boot with noir running, the second time it always works, thought it was just me :p