v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

Thanks S-M, :)

Will try out the program again abit later and see if i can make it jitter less.

Hello ArmA gamers,

If you can hold on for just a while: we are currently beta-testing a fix for the jitter!

Looks promising if you ask me.

Thanks a lot V4 ! If it works, then you'll be a hero...

I'm ok to sacrifice a little bit or responsiveness for the ease of use it provides over freetrack or Track IR !

Is this what you were after?

Anybody else is getting an error after clicking Start in app? Shows me "Failed to create EngineBase: Failed to create / use camera". Using Creative VF0420...

V4Friend ... many thanks for working on this. You will make a LOT of gamers VERY VERY happy (me included !)

Is this what you were after?

Much better. And wow, yours looks a million times smoother than mine. What webcam are you using?

It is a basic Xbox 360 camera, the setup is not perfect, i was planning on tweaking things tonight, but ended up having a few cans of Grolsch and slobbing in front of the TV :D

I just used a blob of blutack to stick the camera onto the end of my logitech keyboard, pointing at my face.

Interesting. I'm using a Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 I believe. I just tried it with your exact settings and I still get a ton of stutter (also, it's way too sensitive for my camera).

I'm uploading a YouTube video right now to show. Oddly enough, as soon as I triggered FRAPS to record, the stutter decreased quite a bit. Without FRAPS recording, the jitter is a lot worse than it looks like in the video, but you should still be able to get the idea.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Here's the video:

Maybe I will try using a camera to take a video instead of FRAPS since FRAPS seems to cause the stutter to be lessened for some reason (less framerate maybe?)

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Okay, here is a video I took with my camera rather than FRAPs. It's not great but you get the idea. The kind of stutter I experience is awful and unplayable. I'm using the same settings as before (the same as your settings, S-M). I've tried setting them differently and nothing reduces the kind of jitter I'm seeing.

Yeah, mine used to be like the ones in your second video when i first tried it out, not sure exactly why mine appeared to improve, i thought it was because i had adjusted my settings, but like i had said, i have not fiddled with it to much yet.

Maybe i adjusted something else and forgot about it, how much cpu power does yours take when in use ?

just having a problem with mine, im using a logitech c120 and although its recognised by the facetracknoir program and the face api program, when i pressed the start and stop buttons all the x rotation values remain n/a it doesn't recognise my face movements at all.

Typically it seems to be anywhere from 1% to 10% CPU power.

I wonder if different cams have different effects, what sort of HZ does it run in the tracking program ?

Looks like it is 20Hz. Cameras tend to be 50 or 60Hz .... can that be the reason for flicker ? It's pretty bad. However there seems to be a fix on the way !

Looks like it is 20Hz. Cameras tend to be 50 or 60Hz .... can that be the reason for flicker ? It's pretty bad. However there seems to be a fix on the way !

Yeah, in the program I get a max of 20 Hz as well. Might be contributing to the issue.

Mine runs at 10hz

Maybe this is why mine seams a little better?

in FTNOIR i got 20hz but usually i should have about 30 :< i also got that parkinson

- for those of you with a low fps on the camera:

NOIR should be able to do 20fps (nxt version will be higher), but there might be a reason why some of you get stuck at something like 10. You could have an old cam of course, but in my case, the software provided by logitech interfered somehow. I'm not talking of the driver, but the software "suite". After I killed that, the fps became 20 in NOIR.

- minimize NOIR, the rendering of the image takes up cpu time which might lag ARMA

- set the x, y and z-axis to zero (not the rotation!), now you can't zoom, and "side look" (lean), but you can look around and the jitter will be a little less.

Next version is commin, hang on! :)

Edited by ronski

I am not so sure that my cam running at 10, is worse than everybody else who are running at 20, it would appear that mine is working better than most in this thread :p

I tried disabling my webcam's software, but I still only get 15-20 Hz. Any other suggestions? According to the HeadTrack demo I should be able to get 30 Hz at least.

Ah, finally, I figured out what was wrong with it. For some reason my exposure was turned up super-high, and even uninstalling the webcam software that controls it didn't fix the problem. I had to go into the settings and manually mess with it to get it working. Now I get 30 Hz. :cool: Will test to see how this affects gameplay.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I think I know why I still get massive jitter when I look up and down but not left and right. I'm guessing it has to do with framerate in-game versus the framerate of the program. Since the webcam is only running at 30 FPS, and the game can be running at around the same framerate when looking at normal terrain, you don't get as much stutter. However, if you look up or down you get a massive framerate boost (since you're essentially looking at nothing) and since the camera is still stuck at 30 FPS, you get this crazy jitter back and forth.

I'm not sure how you would fix this issue, though. I've tried cranking the smoothing way, way up with no success. How does FreeTrack work so smoothly with 30 FPS cameras?

How does FreeTrack work so smoothly with 30 FPS cameras?

Signal filtering... it should ignore or average the samples when their difference with the previous sample is over a certain limit (= movements impossible to reproduce with the human head without breaking you neck)

Hmmm interesting, the thing is, i don't have any webcam software, it is an Xbox 360 camera, you simply plug it in and Windows 7 sorts out the driver.

I went and bought an Xbox 360 camera at BB to test this out (it was less than $13!) since my ancient web cam isn't supported with Windows 7. At first it was completely uncontrollable but I messed around with settings and I have it working fairly well at moment. It's still a bit finicky and not as smooth/fast as it needs to be but it's impressive in any case.

V4Friend, I'm looking forward to your upcoming releases.

Edit: BTW, I fixed the lean left/right inverting problem by selecting the invert check box that is the right of the X slider and left of the smoothing slider.

Edited by Nithrakis

Great stuff! Works almost fine here! I disabled the lean and zoom though, but they do work. Thank you, V4Friend for creating this! :)

My cheap cam starts at 20Hz with the software and quickly deteriorates below 10Hz.

JITTERING! This only happens when the game gets above 50FPS (near 60FPS?). I fixed it a little bit by turning on Vsync. However, it's still there even with vsync on. I'm taking a guess that the software could only be giving inputs 50 times per second, so when game FPS exceeds 50 then sometimes input values are nil?

:icon_lol:

qkgUWNAzoY4

Edited by Dead3yez