• Avira AntiVir
    • avast!
    • Kaspersky
    • Microsoft MSE/One Care
    • BitDefender
    • COMODO
    • PC Tools
    • Other, specify which please

Ok i make this poll with the purpose to know which is the most used AV (i spect it to be AVG or ESET)

My favourite is Avira AntiVir which is really effective on clients PC's

You can also post your experience with it.

Other anti-virus voted:

Zone alarm - 1

McAfee - 3

Sophos - 1

------

My reviews (i test some anti-virus in virtual machines) :

ESET Smart Security 4 (Payed anti-virus)

My qualification: 4 stars

Malware blocked: 9/10

This anti-virus did very well, it blocked some rogue site before entering on them. And also blocks malware automactly. This anti-virus really surprised me.

It has:

Real time protection

Anti-Virus

Anti-Spyware

Anti-Potencially Unwanted Programs

Anti-Adware

Anti-Rootkit

Firewall

Anti-Spam

It's an excelent commercial anti-virus.

-----

Microsoft Security Essentials (Free anti-virus)

My qualification: 3 Stars

Malware blocked: 5/10

I was expecting more for a microsoft product. It is a good rogue/spyware remover but it needs to get some heuristics. It failed at catching zero day malware and it didn't caught adware. But the interface is very easy and simple to use.

It has:

Real time protection

Anti-Virus

Anti-Spyware

Anti-Potencialy Unwanted Program

Light anti-virus

It's a deficient anti-virus but it could be great at caughting old viruses.

-----

Next review:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (Payed Internet Security suite)

If you would like to ask me for a review of a anti-virus just send me a PM

Edited by Royal-Killer

I've used a lot of free AV software, but overall I prefer Kaspersky.

Avast got my vote. I was a longtime AVG user with no real complaints there either.

Do you mean only free AV? I'm not familiar with a lot of the ones you put in the poll, but I noticed the lack of Norton, McAfee, etc...

AVG here. When I got my new computer built I told the guy DO NOT put Norton on my system, and naturally he did exactly what I told him not to do. So I had to nearly move heaven and earth just to get it off my system and ever since I've been using AVG.

Do you mean only free AV? I'm not familiar with a lot of the ones you put in the poll, but I noticed the lack of Norton, McAfee, etc...

Nope.

I mean all AV.

I don't like Norton neither McAfee, but hey! it's my opinion

Well I find that free AV can only offer so much protection, and sometimes it's just not enough. I haven't had any issues with McAfee, and it actually did a good job of stopping some potentially annoying threats that I know would have gotten through AVG.

I do however hate Norton, in all my experiences it is utter crap, and it just gets in the way of everything.

Well I find that free AV can only offer so much protection, and sometimes it's just not enough. I haven't had any issues with McAfee, and it actually did a good job of stopping some potentially annoying threats that I know would have gotten through AVG.

I do however hate Norton, in all my experiences it is utter crap, and it just gets in the way of everything.

I've never used McAfee myself, but sadly I know Norton all too well and IMO it's more of a malware than a virus protection. It implants itself into everything making it a royal bitch to remove and when I did get a real nasty virus it didn't help at all. It's amazing Norton is still in business...

Not sure you just mean plain AV or the internet security kind of things but I've been using F-Secure (as both) for years and of the ones I've used it has always been the best for me.

I do however hate Norton, in all my experiences it is utter crap

+1

It's actually probably the worst I've used..

I've been using avast! 5 for quite a while now, and no complaints here. I used AVG all the time before that too. Both seem much better than paid-for AVs like McAfee and Norton. I'd recommend either of them.

Remember that the best protection is common sense.

When one has that it is quite safe even with lighter antiVir programs.

:)

zone alarm wasnt on that list and so far i have found it the most effective

Avira AntiVir - it works! And I think it's German. Always a plus for efficiency, eh? ;) Same experiences with Norton btw: piece of crap!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Nope.

I mean all AV.

I don't like Norton neither McAfee, but hey! it's my opinion

Haha, funny poll then, when you don't add the most important ones.

No AV here, surfing with debian ... :D

Avast Home of course! It's free and light weight; what does one want more? :D

Norton is one big bloated mother of all AV's, and my last experiences with McAfee (~4 years ago) are the same :D

On Windows I've been a Avast! user for many years now. It's quite a good package for free. My wife still uses it, while I've switched over to using Linux both at work and at home (there's a Linux version, too, but for now I'm just using ClamAV).

Agreed, this poll is biased :rolleyes:

I dont use any. But once in a while i scan with free online scanners like Housecall or Panda activescan.

Also: I understand why Norton isnt included in this list. He asked for the best, not the most used. And anyone who thinks that Norton is the best proves that he is in no condition to make a capable decision about this anyway.

Used AVG free for a few years, but have been using Avast free for last 9 months or so and no complaints.

I could'nt add all the anti-virus that's why i placed the "Other" option :rolleyes:

From experience, MSE is far better at detecting viruses than AVG, Avira, McAfee, Norton and some others. The fact that it's free and non-intrusive is a definite bonus too.

Really though, Common Sense Anti Virus is the best one of them all =P

Actually you should think about using antivir software even with Linux or Mac/OS. There may be a lot less malware/virus programs than there are for Windows, but it's not like they are 100% bullet proof. And by scanning downloads and mails which you might give to other people you help protecting them, too. Apart from ClamAV there's Linux versions of many mainstream av programs (AntiVir, Avast!,...).

Avast 5 for 3 years not a single virus has got through. Used to use AVG but got rid of it after a virus screwed it up and it enjoyed deleting my Windows files. Also fix this Poll there's a lot of good AV programs you've missed ...

Avast 5 for 3 years not a single virus has got through. Used to use AVG but got rid of it after a virus screwed it up and it enjoyed deleting my Windows files. Also fix this Poll there's a lot of good AV programs you've missed ...

Did someone seen the "Other" option? :rolleyes:

I can add a max of 10 options to any poll.

Did someone seen the "Other" option? :rolleyes:

I can add a max of 10 options to any poll.

Surely add the most popular, important ones in the 10 and then the others in the other category then ... :rolleyes: