Sign in to follow this  
eble

IkaR's F14 comes to Arma2

With permission, coversion of IkaR's F 14 Tomcat

F14Bysouthy10.jpg

(Thanks to BloodnGuts for the advert above)

Updated and improved for Arma2

new normal/spec maps.

Beta V1.0 18/02/1010

Supershader now in use, RACS skin as bonus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat

Youtube video:

Sorry had to happen - Video from Arma1 release, but still...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_5TXoSKsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_5TXoSKsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Small video showing HUD - nothing fancy just stock BIS animations

(Check out the last Mig-29 comes in inverted! flown by AI pilots)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8NKiDabuo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8NKiDabuo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Addon features.

Fully integrated gunners position

Spec/normal maps/supershader

Modified flight model

Binarized PBO

CBA compatible

3 x custom textures thanks to EddyD

1 x USN colour scheme

2 x Iranian colour schemes

templates for creating your own textures, again thanks to EddyD

Weapon scrips work thanks to namman2

thanks to Eddie of PRACS mod for shadows help.

Multi weapon loadouts -

CAS – 38 FFAR, cannon, 2 x AIM9 and 4 x AGM65

CAP - 6 x AIM 54, 2 x Aim9, Cannon

Strike – 5 x GBU12 (LANTIRN system), 2 x Aim9, Cannon (Bombcat)

Working ROI (Gunner position) target selection etc.

Addon requires CBA mod

Addon is compatible with the wingtip trails addon.

Firstly, I will point out the only thing I do is convert existing addons, all the hard work was always done by the original addon makers, I have simply tried where possible to convert them for Arma2.

I do this basically on my own with the help of a few community members for either textures or scripting help.

This is basically a hobby of mine and I do this in my spare time, all the addons mentioned have got prior permission from the original addon makers.

I know a few people will not like these addons as they are in the most part based on OFP addons, people will moan the fact the models are wrong or just old etc, thats fine I'm cool with that, until arma2 quality replacement are produced I see no reason not to convert my personal favourite OFP addons.

If you think you might be easily upset by a OFP port to Arma2 please feel free to not download it etc.

Most important thing you can do with this addon is have fun, please understand this is a working beta, problems will arise, please leave feedback etc and I will continue to work on this addon.

Southy

PS something had to come along to take out Gnats/Footmunch's Su33's right :D

download here:

file includes Photoshop template for making your own textures.

Beta V1.5 released 27/02/10 Armaholic.com

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9624

(Original OFP skin with Squadron markings)

F14legacy.jpg

Arma2 Texture

F14iranshiny.jpg

Edited by Eble

Awesome Eble! Much appreciated!

Thank you very much for all your hard work for this community.

nice mate, all you need now is this: Highway to the dangerzone infact it should be part of the engine startup noise!

EDIT: Just realised you used it on your HUD test :)

EDIT2: Didnt BloodnGuts do a similar image to the one you have but as a parody of Top Gun? I remember seeing it somewhere... was quite funny :)

Edited by STALKERGB

The turn rate of the f-14 displayed in that video is quite funny! The f-14 has a turn rate of 14 degrees per second at 300 knots. This addon has a turn rate of more like 140 degrees per second. Now, I know this isn't a flight sim, but if every aircraft has the turn rate of an f-22 raptor, what's the point of having different aircraft?

edit: I've read another source that claims the f-14d has a sustained turn rate of 25 degrees per second. That's still much lower than the rate in the video.

Edited by Max Power

The turn rate of the f-14 displayed in that video is quite funny! The f-14 has a turn rate of 14 degrees per second at 300 knots. This addon has a turn rate of more like 140 degrees per second. Now, I know this isn't a flight sim, but if every aircraft has the turn rate of an f-22 raptor, what's the point of having different aircraft?

The flight model can't be realistic in Arma2, but the addon has to be able to compete with the BIS jets.

no point building in massive restrictions if you can never kill someone in a harrier or F35.

The game forces a sort of generic flight model, is it realistic, no way, but it's the best we have.

You can change the performance if required in the CFG as follows:

elevatorSensitivity = 1.100000;

alter this setting to the desired effect. (Lower means a smaller turn rate).

Altering the weight distribution of the model in the geoLOD will affect the manoeuvrability.

The f-14s big trick (for an aircraft designed in the late 60s) was its powerful radar and very long range, fire and forget missiles. If it can't compete in a turning fight with the mig-29, which has similar turning performance to the f-16 (which has the best sustained turn of any jet fighter, including the f-22 with its vectored whoozits), then that seems par for the course, don't you think?

I mean, should I make a helicopter that was designed in the 50s and 60s uber manoeuvrable to eliminate any disadvantage vs. the most powerful and latest gunships of today? That thinking is a bit strange, don't you think? Of course the f-14 will have a disadvantage, it was designed 40 years ago.

I know what your saying, but I won't make the addon unusable to please people looking for a realistic F14 flight model in a non-flight sim game.

I can make the Su-25 stock BIS plane almost do a back flip, is it realistic, not on your life.

Arma2 isn't a flight sim, if your looking for real world flight dynamics sorry your going to be disappointed.

The only thing I can do as a modder is make the addons 'feel' different. they all handle differently, using modified GEO LOD weights/positions etc.

The video your referring too was from Arma1, quite a few tweaks have gone into this addon since then, and the second video where I out turn the Mig-29 is vs AI who do not turn all that well to start with.

What you will noticed from the second video is the AI pilot of the last Mig29 (at 2 mins 40 secs) to be shot down was tracking me for a while in a tight turn, I slowed down to the point where he over shot me, in an attempt to turn more he goes inverted, I've not seen inverted AI in stock BIS aircraft, the Mig29 handles that well.

Edited by Eble

Well this was a nice Surprise :D

Some things to report from the first test.

First in editor on Placement error message.

* 'No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgFactionClasses.USAF'

* No engine sound in cockpit

* When turning head back as pilot, wings and body are white. (USNavy versions)

* As gunner, you see the HUD from the pilot.

* Some LOD seem to have no texture, from far it turned all White, then closer the texture appeared (seem to be USN version to).

* Missiles seem to spawn above the plane when firing. so makes a missile and "explision" appear above the plane for a brief second.

* If im not mistaken the rearwing should work as aileron and elev.?

Other personal things.

* Would like to see the guns for the pilot, and maybe hydras.

* Making the wings animate in cockpit view to, right now they seem to be swept back all the time when turning around in cockpit.

* If possible, animate the landing gear doors to close after the gears, and not simultaneous

* Key files, so it can be used on servers with lock.

thanks for the feedback mate, heaps to do but I wanted to get a beta out for people to mess with.

once the addon gets more final I'll start signing them, until then it's for offline testing only really.

awwwwwwesome!!!!... :yay: Downloading!!

Time to make a new top gun vid me thinks :P

Edited by wika_woo

Eble if you have some free time in the future, would it be possible to port the Nimitz carrier? I've tried a few times but the position of the tower is way different than it looks in Oxygen =/ (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3026) Nimitz + F14 = win :D thanks for your port

Question.. Why do none of the jets perform sonic boom after you go 900 "speed", or faster.. But you could in arma I? ..

someone help please...

Great work,

@Able

i have made another little modify.... if yuo want i can give yuo the congif file.

f143.th.png

cv682.th.png

Great work is a fantastic addons

First, I want to point out that I majorly tweaked the config file to match some of the data actually out there... You can only do so much with BIS, it's not a pure simulator, so there's no use bitching about it. Next, I want to point out that the F-14 was never intended to compete with the Mig29, which was a better match for the F-15. For that matter, I seem to remember the F-16 guys being more than a little worried about the MiG29, which would eat up an F-16 in a dogfight if both were equipped with just guns. I also want to point out that the Navy learned the hard way not to mount 6 AIM 54's on an F-14. They weighed too damned much to allow for safe landings. The F-14's generally carried at maxium 4, with other, shorter range missles completing the loadout. The missles themselves had a huge range, and ran at mach 4, but were not always the most accurate things in the world, because they only got one radar fix from the firing aircraft. The AIM120 totally kicks their butts, because it is capable of updating its information frequently. I also want to state that I am completely and utterly against "manual" landing gear. I just spent hours trying to get gear to fold on the LHD deck, with no luck whatsoever. Maybe if it is caught during cycle? In any event, the hook should be manual, the gear should remain BIS for AI purposes. If anyone is having trouble landing on the damned LHD, keep practicing until you can land and take off the F4 without scripts and without damage. Trap 3, or go home.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Oh, and I heard that the guy who created the Nimitz for OFP would not allow the transfer into Arma 2, I think Gnat (of the two level landing gear/afterburner script fame) would have transferred it, had it been allowed. No idea why the guy is sticky about it.

Hey Southy,

Whats the total weight of you GEO lod? Because it seems waaaay too light, it seems to weigh less than the missiles that hit it!

Love the HUD.

[/color]Oh, and I heard that the guy who created the Nimitz for OFP would not allow the transfer into Arma 2, I think Gnat (of the two level landing gear/afterburner script fame) would have transferred it, had it been allowed. No idea why the guy is sticky about it.

Where'd you hear that?

As I understand it someone (forgot who, think its all in the Armed Assualt forums) decided to port my last version of it, so I steped aside, and just did the Kuznetsov.

Since then I've heard no more.

I didn't hear anyone object to a ArmA->ArmAII port.

Gnat;1574078']Hey Southy' date='

Whats the total weight of you GEO lod? Because it seems waaaay too light, it seems to weigh less than the missiles that hit it!

Love the HUD.

Where'd you hear that?

As I understand it someone (forgot who, think its all in the Armed Assualt forums) decided to port my last version of it, so I steped aside, and just did the Kuznetsov.

Since then I've heard no more.

I didn't hear anyone object to a ArmA->ArmAII port.[/quote']

Total weight in the GEO LOD is 4500, it might need some more tweaking, but I tend to go light in the GEO LOD and some small CFG changes to get the jets to handle differently.

The Nimitz was brought up a while back in the discussion thread, from memory I believe DaSquade decided it would be better to challenege the community to make a new carrier rather let this one get ported to arma2.

So no, the nimitz from OFP/Arma will not be coming to arma2., unless someone makes a new one.

@Gnat the HUD is merely the standard BIS HUD, the weapons feed the HUD profiles etc, on the F14 the only one that does, work right is the AA weapons becuase I created my own standard and didn't use the sidewinder/R73 as a base.

@wika woo the sonic boom script has been disabled for the moment as it was using some effects from arma1 that no longer exist in arma2, if/when a revised version is available I'll reinstate it.

Edited by Eble

That was it. He's probably right, we probably do need a new carrier.... BIS LHD is a joke. Even BF2 beats it!

Hey, Gnat.. while I have your attention: any chance of convincing you to make a switch to allow the "manual" gear for your fighters to be custom or BIS standard? AI looks plenty foolish driving around at 1000 meters with his gear down. Nice job on the conversion, BTW.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Oh, one more thing I noticed about the F-14 model. The center of gravity appears to be off, because I'm seeing a tendency to lift the front wheel when taxiing.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Another bunch of suggestions for the f-14.... reduce the AIM-54 count to 4, increase the missle's minimum range to 1km, increase speed, and possibly reduce the accuracy. That'd give it a much more realistic usage. Fill the rest of the CAP loadout with AIM7's, AIM9's, or some such thing. The 20mm cannon sound has to go; it could use some work.

Permission for the carrier was given.

LOL, i can't believe after..what is it...5-6 years, someone is still considering porting over the Nimitz 68.

I guess we all know the model is far from stable due to the messed up splitting into parts.

YES, i'm to blame for that since i made the Nimitz and the reason why it got messed up was because it was my very first model i ever made for the BIS engine. Although i did several test with the splitted parts, in the end the deck turned out to be having holes due to working on the limites of what the roadway lod allowed. Hard leasson learnd..never push it on the limites :) .

Anyway, it still makes me smile people enjoy the carrier for what it is worth. But on the other hand, now that we all know the limites better and the engine allow more functions i think it would be better if finally someone started from scratch.

So by this, i don't give permission to port the model over :p.

Nah seriously, in the end it shouldn't be that hard to make a carrier. It will take some serious planning and if you want to bring it to the level of detail to these days standards, it will take some time but it isn't the end of the world.

I wish i had nothing on my hands as i would jump on your boat anytime. Sadely i have many projects running and i don't see a big hole in the near future.

Maybe i could help out with some smaller stuff (some of the weaponsystems and other 'individual' stuff), but no promise.

On the other hand, using or participating in a project that will contain purchased models is a bit against my policy.

Don't be affraid to try making your own models. Like with my Nimitz, we all had to learn somewhere.

Personally i would skip the idea of 'looking forward'. From my very quick search, the CVN-78 is only a concept. If it is already beeing build, info and drawing/reference material is very hard to find.

Since i suppose it is the job of the maker to make it as accurate as possible (not even mentioning details), one should first have a very good archieve of reference material.

On other hand, since there isn't much availible yet it give you a free path for creativity, but one would be very dissapointed if lets yes in 2-3 years the first official drawings or pictures get released.

That is always the danger of recreating prototype models (been there, done that...won't do it anymore).

If i would make one, it would be one of the latest currently in use CVN, like the CVN-76 or even 77 (last is very new afaik?). At least there should be enough info and material to base your model on.

Keep in mind 'yours' will need to last for the next 5-6 years (or that is at least the plan i think).

Anyway, good luck.

PS: I was offcourse joking with the permission of the Nimitz. I always give permission for all my stuff, unless i can't :) .

Those Su33's SHALL FINALLY FALL! Thanks you for this gift, I shall use it to crush my enemies.

Well Acording to Darkhorse's Quote I think that gives you permission to port that Nimitz :D