Sign in to follow this  
Mysteryman5150

Military units with better skills... WIP

Hi all, I am working on an addon that I hope will interest some people. I am trying to adjust the AI so that formal military units will have better skills and hopefully weapons also, then non formal military units. I am trying to create the feel of a highly trained military force facing less organized insurgents and terrorists.

I am also looking at adjusting infantry armor ratings for military forces that should be wearing some form of protection as well as possibly create a little more differential between between being shot in the arm or leg and in the chest, i.e. how the hits effect overall health (armor).

I would appreciate any feedback if you have an opinion about this mod idea or maybe even a different perspective about which units should be adjusted and how much.

Please note that the mod is currently running the vanilla settings and you must adjust to your own preferences;).

First part released:

Infantry Armor v1.02

Links below:

Filefront

http://www.filefront.com/15606313/Infantry%20Armor%20v1.02.7z

Armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9550

ADDON REQUIREMENTS: None

Description:

- This addon adjusts armor values of all military soldiers on both the east and west sides. This does not include insurgents and guerrilas, nor does it include the CDF soldiers.

- It was designed to create a simulation of the military soldiers wearing combat armor vs the non military.

- Forces affected:

-USMC classes

-FR Classes

-RU classes

-RUS Classes

-MVD Classes

Test results for ver 1.0 as follows (results now will depend on the variables you set):

- 545 x 39mm= 1 shot to the chest kills to approx 50 meters- 2 shots to the chest kills above 50 meters

- 556 x 45mm= 1 shot to the chest kills to approx 75-80 meters- 2 shots to the chest kills above 75-80 meters

- 762 x 51 % 762 x 54mm= 1 shot to the chest kills to approx 450-500 meters- beyond that they layed down so I couldn't verify a 2 shot chest kill but I know the second shot killed no matter where it hit:).

- 12.7 x 99 & 12.7 x 108 mm= 1 shot kill no matter what

- Shots to the head are not changed at all

- shots to the arms and leg will vary by side (see bugs section) and caliber. the 545x39 &556x45 take about 3-5 hits. Higher calibers require less rounds. I didn't think this was too unreasonable.

As stated before I am open to suggestions and Ideas. I am still working on this mod. I am currently trying to make 2 new sets of weapons, one will have higher dispersion values for to be given to the terrorists and guerrilas and one will have lower dispersion for use with the special forces being released. The vanilla ones will remian with the standard military forces in the game. It will take me a little bit to do this, as this whole modding thing is new to me, so please be patient;).

BUGS:

- there is a slight variance between the east and west side soldiers. This seems to be due to the way Arma @ calculates damage. If I set all sides with equal values, what happens is the east side has a stornger damage resistance. Through much testing I have only been able to come to the cunclusion that Arma 2 favors the East side with the damage multipliers. If anyone has any other insight on this please feel free to let me know. - This error was found to be incorrect and has been adjusted for in v 1.01.

- This mod could potentially clash with SLX or Zeus if they have any armor adjustments. I looked into SLX and I don't think it will as the armor values I adjusted are at a lower in the inheritance lineage than where they were adjusted in SLX- I could be wrong.

FIXES:

V.1.01

-Adjusted armor values for all troops making the even. After further research I found there is no difference in multipliers, the error was on my end.

V1.02

- Added and HPP file that goes intor the userconfig folder that allows the user to set all the armor ratings for each faction in the vanilla game (instructions are

included in the HPP file

CREDITS:

BIS - For an game that both awesome and moddable.

Snake Man - For practically walking me through how to build the a config file.

Binkowski - Thanks for answering my PM's and giving me direction where to look for information.

The entire moding community- Without you all putting info out there and having your mods available for us newbies to analize , I for one, would have been very lost. Thank you all.

**Added part 2

Weapons dispersion v1.03 - More info in this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=95332

Link to download:

Filefront

http://www.filefront.com/15621103/Weapons%20Dispersion%20v1.03.7z

Armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9576

**Added part 3

Infabtry Stheath and Recognition Skills v1.00 - More info in this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=95484

Link to download:

Filefront

http://www.filefront.com/15612095/Inf%20Stealth%20and%20Recognition.7z

Armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9604

Enjoy :D

Edited by Mysteryman5150

Hopefully you do it by a placeable module and syncing to groups, so that it works with 3rd party units ;)

Interesting concept.

Initial release of the Infantry Armor part of the mod, link on first post.

If anyone knows how to port this to armaholic I would appreciate some instructions;).

@AnimalMother- You went way over my head bro,:eek:LOL. I am completely new to this modding game:o. I am open to ideas but you will probably have to walk me through it. I would like to try to complete the main mod first though if you don't mind helping me with modules later. I think if I have the base mod designed it would probably be easier to do what you are talking about after that.

haha I actually have no clue either, I'm just a humble mission maker. Just thought a module would be cool. gonna download now and have a go...

As for Armaholic, simply PM "Big" here on the BI forums and let him know you've released this along with a link. He takes care of the rest :)

Thanks Animal. If you wnat to test out the results the best way I found to do it was in the editor in utes. Set up some enemies (either unarmed or out of ammo,LOL) and test the different guns from different ranges and hitting the different body parts. Please make sure to test from both sides. Like I said for some reason if I set all the variables equal it seemed to make it take more to kill the East side soldiers.

Let me know if you test it out and what kind of results you get.

Chest shots should do the least amount of damage considering that's where everyone's rifle plates are in their body armor.

Good idea, downloading now, differences between units in regards of accuracy skills is very necessary in Arma2, keep it up.

Update Infanrty Armor ver. 1.01. Link updated in first post. I appologize for an update already.

I have found one thing while trying to get these armor values just right. It seems there is a sweet spot somewhere on the lower chest and lower to mid back area that sometimes gives a one shot kill. That is what was making my calculations off in my first release. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also if there is any feedback about how it could be tweaked I am opened to suggestions. What I am in search of is trying to create some realism as well as the variance between different classes.

One final note. I have found this to work with Binkowski's Desert Mercs and Black Ops just fine. It should work with and new infantry textures as long as they don't rewrite the armor values or class hitpoints values. I looked through Bink's DM&BO and there are a few soldiers that will have their own variables but most will inherit the Infantry Armor variables. If you all test this with other infantry textures please post the result here so others can see the results. Thank you.

Edited by Mysteryman5150

Just an update where things are at.

I have started to develope a new weapons pack. It is going to be basically duplicate of all the vanilla rifles, machine guns and sniper rifles in the game, just with new names and ID's. These weapons will come with file that will allow the user to adjust the dispersion of the weapons that will be duplicated. I have found a way to allow the dispersion to be adjusted through an external file that will be placed in the userconfig folder:D.

I will release this when complete but the main purpose of this is to then give the duplicated weapons to the infantry and/or insurgents and terrorists and allow specific units to have weapons that are either

a) more accurate to simulate they have had better training, or

b) less accurate to simulate they are a less organized malitia.

I hope the things I am working on are peeking some interest out there. This mod is being created with the SP and maybe even the coop player in mind as there would be no real benefit to PVP, unless you are on the side with the better weapons and equipment;).I know there are probably much better AI mods available (I use Zeus and parts of SLX and I trully think they are top notch), which is why I have made my primary focus on these other items first (AI items later), but none of them seem to focus on simulating that differences between the worlds best trained militaries and the worlds terrorist groups and malitias, which ussauly have outdated and less effective weapons and equipment.

Nice work... it always felt strange to me that a shot a vest protected area of a ArmA soldier would have the same instant death effects as if firing at the same area using a civilian as a target, I mean why use body armor at all when it serves no purpose ;) .

Edited by Icewindo

Part 2 now added- see first post.

I am considering trying to create an HPP file to place in the userconfig folder for the armor mod to allow the user to set their own preferences for each faction. Does anyone think this would be a nice addition to the armor addon.

@thearies- True body aromor in the game would require a script and I am not experienced at all in scripting. Actually I am brand new to modding and learning as I go here:o. It's been an experience:eek:.

@Icewindo- If I can find a way to create the HPP for in the userconfig you could then set your own values ;) for the different areas of the body as Arma 2 recognizes Legs, Hands (Arms I guess) Body and Head.

I will look more into the idea of a customizable file:). Enjoy the new guns in the mean time.

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

Update on front page to ver 1.02.

fixes:

- Added and HPP file that goes intor the userconfig folder that allows the user to set all the armor ratings for each faction in the vanilla game (instructions are

included in the HPP file

Have fun with this. My goal when I making these mods is to allow the user to adjust the mod to work for them. I hope that you all enjoy the style behind these mods.

Edited by Mysteryman5150

Anyone who downloaded ver 1.02 will need to redownload. I accidentally packed the wrong PBO in the file and it will mot allow for adjustments through the userconfig file:o.

I have updated the main page. I appologize for the mistake.

Edited by Mysteryman5150

Looks great man, I really like the idea.

Just a suggestion, good idea for the name of this mod, maybe

Asymmetric Warfare Modification

or

AWM

?

Just trying trying to be helpful, or whatever you call it when you don't be an ass. :)

peace