Sign in to follow this  
cmberryau

OFP2 let me down; I'm hoping Arma2 won't be the same.

After months of waiting for a FOV fix for OFP2; I'm giving up. Worst consoleification of a game I have ever seen.

Purchased ARMA2 on steam just 15 minutes ago, downloading now.. I hope your title isn't as dissapointing.

If you can get past the few quirks/bugs then it's one of the best tactical FPS games out there. Nearly endless options, addons a-plenty, and the editor all overcome it's shortfalls and make it an excellent experience...guess you'll find out soon enough. ;)

Why would it? Afterall, it is the successor of OFP..

The fact that ArmA II is still going as strong as any BIS game ever has says it all. You may have to suffer a few performance issues and random quirks here and there, but all in all you'll have the most flexible, moddable and enjoyable military simulator on the market. Hardly like that "other game".

I hope your title isn't as dissapointing.

Did you try the demo first?

No? then i guess you can only blame yourself if you don't like it or your computer can't handle it!

I was a big fan of ARMA and OFP1, I know OFP2 would be consoled, but I was really angry I had purchased on steam, otherwise I would have gone and got my refund.

I played the demo of ARMA2 and it was buggy to say the least, honestly I won't be playing the original campaign, as it's most likely pretty poor.

Community content is pretty much where it was for ARMA; so I'll be heading over to armaholic once more :D

Further on OFP : DR; they fucked up BAD.

I have pretty beasty machine, I am sure it will run okay. (ATI 5890)

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

The major concern I have for this game is MP lag, I really hated that in ARMA1

I have to say that if a small issue such as FOV is what killed OFP2 for you, then you will probably be disappointed with the many issues Arma 2 has. I do find Arma 2 a great game, though - not because it's perfect, but mostly because there's no other game that even resembles it in terms of realism.

OFP2 - What the devs made it and force fed the player.

ArmA 2 - Cook your own.

There are still some issues with ArmA2, but support is there, and the potential only restricted by the communitys imagination.

Hope it turns out to be all you want. Approach it with patience, don't expect the single player campaign to be mind-blowing, and ask advice on these forums if you run into any performance problems.

I can only guess how long it will take you to look through Armaholic.com and choose which mods, exta units and weapons you want to add into the game.

I played the demo of ARMA2 and it was buggy to say the least, honestly I won't be playing the original campaign, as it's most likely pretty poor.

Nope, the campaign is actually pretty good. I enjoyed it, was different from previous campaigns.

Uh... Read the OP much?

He's been bummed by that other game, hopes ArmA II won't disappoint him and is looking for reassurance from the community here that it won't. Time will tell if he likes it or not, of course.

After months of waiting for a FOV fix for OFP2; I'm giving up. Worst consoleification of a game I have ever seen.

Purchased ARMA2 on steam just 15 minutes ago, downloading now.. I hope your title isn't as dissapointing.

As long as you force vsync off and remember to disable mouse smoothing from the game, it's not going to disappoint. If you leave those on, it might destroy the game-experience 90%.

As long as you force vsync off and remember to disable mouse smoothing from the game, it's not going to disappoint. If you leave those on, it might destroy the game-experience 90%.

hmmm - I don't do either of those things and mine plays just fine. In fact I leave VSync on for all games because I can't stand the screen tearing effect without it.

Obviously make sure you are running the latest patch (the original version is er..... "delicate"). The good thing about Arma 2 now is that it has reached the stage where the game is 98% working and there are high quality mods coming out literally every week. Arma 2 has finally reached the "golden period" where everything is coming together: the game, the devs and of course the community. You don't have people ranting "epic fail" in every second thread, and more "hi i just bought arma 2".

Edited by cm.

afaik steam doesnt have the latest, 1.05, version of arma2, youll need to download and apply that patch manually.

hmmm - I don't do either of those things and mine plays just fine. In fact I leave VSync on for all games because I can't stand the screen tearing effect without it.

Your FPS is usually more then your refreshrate? Im jealous. :p

Hi and welcome.

In case you have played the original OFP then you won't be disappointed, 'cause ArmA is the true successor. In case you never played it than take your time to figure out how to play this game. With the latest patch the game runs quite good, although I never had problems running it from the beginning anyway. The campaign has been mostly fixed and before judging you should give it a go yourself first. Don't rely on that matter too much on other peoples opinion . . . it's a personal taste thing. You will never make it right to everybody some like it others don't.

The AI still have issues sometimes and there are still some minor flaws. But I can assure you that the enemy is badass. They kick your butt in a "Detroit second" if you try to run and gun. There are some good guides of how to play this game look for shak Tactical in the stickies.

when I first started with the old OFP in 2001 I had to learn how to play the game and it took me sometime to figure everything out. I'm playing for 8 years straight without ever annoying me, which happens mostly when playing other wargames. If you understand this game you will love it and become an ArmAholic same as me and mostly all other community members.

The BIS community is always active. Talented modders addonmakers missionmakers . . . you name it . . . are constantly working on new content for the game and it's free. The quality is top notch and of very high standards, which is truely amazing. Give it still some time from now and and they will burry you with new content. There is tons of stuff already available. Hundreds of projects WIP.

Welcome to Wonderland:D

cheers