Sign in to follow this  
Churrsauce

Is it really that hard to run smoothly?

How much are you(they) paying for that in NZ? Just curious to compare with AU prices.

Wish my parents would buy me something :P

$3000Nzd including monitor and other basic peripherals. I keep telling them i could get cheaper building one myself, but i guess all the time they have to pay it off adds up. :)

3,000.00 NZD

=

2,414.09 AUD

Yeh you couldve built it for a couple hundred cheaper but if finance was a problem then its ok.

The pc will run Arma2 pretty good tho.

3,000.00 NZD

=

2,414.09 AUD

Yeh you couldve built it for a couple hundred cheaper but if finance was a problem then its ok.

The pc will run Arma2 pretty good tho.

$3000nzd = $2,414.09 aud = $0.50 usd :D

Hopefully it shall run good, looking forward to it.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Is anyone round here running crossfired 4850's on this game and getting good results? Reading all this chit about micro stuttering sounds kinda gey, but some people are using sli/xfire rigs just fine. I think i need to shut up and wait and see x]

Hello there,

Sorry if this thread seems a tad pointless. But is this game really as hard to run as soooo many people say it is? Im expecting my new pc soon and theres no other game i want to play more then arma 2, but as each day passes i seem to be getting this horrible feeling like "Nooo the pc is not going to be good enough" or "Nooo you'll have to play with everything on low and itll look like one fugly motherfuggler". Looking through the 'Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.' thread has given me mixed feelings. I read one page and get all excited because someone has a pc with specs not as good as mine and is running it as smooth as silk and then i get cut down on the next page because someone with a super computer is complaining about how horribly optimized the game is. Its pathetic how worried this makes me...but geesh, this game looks so god damn fun!!!!

These are the basic components i know will be part of the pc, im only a kid and while I like to think i know alot of pcs, im just taking stabs in the dark 99% of the time.

# 2.66Ghz Intel Core i7-920 processor

# 6GB DDR2 Ram

# 2 x PC Partner Radeon HD4850 1Gb DDR3 (Crossfire) 2GB Total

# Windows 7

# 20 inch monitor

Its the best my parents can afford with interest free and generous finance deals. I wanted to build one...but what the hey it doesnt look to bad! :). I was feeling pretty good about it until i started reading poor motherboards bottlenecking performance etc. so im just worried all over again lmao.

Im starting to think that perhaps im just reading up to much on this game. Hell you should see how many 'arma 2 tweaking guides' are in my bookmark folder. Now when it comes to high frame rates and running games smoothly on my current rig, well lets just say sollitaire nearly blows it up lol. Ive evolved into accepting 10-20 fps so if i can even get that on arma 2 ill be happy!.

Now there are alot of people out there (Hell im one of them now) who make threads about pcs not being able to run this game. But i want to hear from all you folkes who are currently running this game just fine and cant get enough! It looks badass! Maybe i just need to shut the hell up and wait until i get my pc. (Dont use that quote against me to often please.) Soo lets start jotting down all the positives just to make feel good!! Baha.

I have Near enough the exact same specs as you and i can run the game on max (PP off aa normal) with 6000 view distance... even though i choose to play on normal as i get much better performance in the bigger battles... you will be able to play fine but unless you oc your cpu it will get laggy when many units are fighting at once :)

My specs

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

(4 CPUs)

Memory: 6GB DDR3 RAM

Hard Drive: 1x 1TB & 2x 290GB

Graphics Card: GTS 240 (shit)

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Monitor: AOC 22inch widescreen

I have Near enough the exact same specs as you and i can run the game on max (PP off aa normal) with 6000 view distance... even though i choose to play on normal as i get much better performance in the bigger battles... you will be able to play fine but unless you oc your cpu it will get laggy when many units are fighting at once :)

My specs

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

(4 CPUs)

Memory: 6GB DDR3 RAM

Hard Drive: 1x 1TB & 2x 290GB

Graphics Card: GTS 240 (shit)

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Monitor: AOC 22inch widescreen

Sweet thanks for posting. Yeah i will probably end up overclocking at some time but its so hot here atm i rather wouldnt. And looking at some youtube vids and pics of people playing, id be just fne with normal settings :).

I have:

i7 920

4890 1GB

6GB DDR

640GB WD SE HDD

Win 7 64-bit

ArmA 2 runs OK. All settings high, PP low, 1680x1050, AA low, AF low. View Distance 2800.

For me, it's still not "smooth" enough for an enjoyable experience. I tried my FPS, and I'm getting around 40-50fps in many situations, which is fine, but whenever I get into a firefight or in a city, it drops down to around 30 (with occasional drops to 20). I guess I'm picky, but it's not that enjoyable for me when those types of drops occur.

I have:

i7 920

4890 1GB

6GB DDR

640GB WD SE HDD

Win 7 64-bit

ArmA 2 runs OK. All settings high, PP low, 1680x1050, AA low, AF low. View Distance 2800.

For me, it's still not "smooth" enough for an enjoyable experience. I tried my FPS, and I'm getting around 40-50fps in many situations, which is fine, but whenever I get into a firefight or in a city, it drops down to around 30 (with occasional drops to 20). I guess I'm picky, but it's not that enjoyable for me when those types of drops occur.

20+ fps is prolly alright for me :P , thanks for your post.

Hi

Apologies if old news but see some of the other posts in the forum related to disk access times, since the lack of smoothness can be a result of high access times compared to the small file sizes as Arma2 constantly streams data into memory from disk. Options (and opinions) on the best approach vary from using RAM disks, faster hard disks or fast USB keys to hold some of the core base files, because once they are loaded onto one of these storage media, although the transfer speed it lower, due to the small file sizes the faster access time means it can reduce the stutters which are typically associated with fps drops. I have tried RAM disks, USB sticks, faster hard drives and am now trying an SSD disk and the improvements in the visual appearance of the game can be huge (RAM disk) to moderate (USB stick), even though the framerate does not increase. If you have a 4Gb+ USB stick I would try that first, storing the 3.21Gb of small files listed in LOD thrashing thread by Qwertz, and see if that helps reduce the stuttering since everyone's setup is different.

The only issue is this shows up the next weakest link in your system, in my case probably the mobo/processor.

No offense, but why do you keep posting shite about intel every possible opportunity? AMD Fanboy?

With your question you derail the whole thread.

To answer your question, just hit the link I posted.

Im going to go ahead and assume that youre implying that to run ArmA2 smoothly, you should get an AMD cpu, which is a load of horse shit.

Im going to go ahead and assume that youre implying that to run ArmA2 smoothly, you should get an AMD cpu, which is a load of horse shit.

1. I stated that an AMD cpu much older and less quick than i7 runs Arma2 really well. So my answer to the Thread was: No need to worry about running Arma2 with a much quicker cpu than mine - like the Intel i7.

2. I then gave a bit provocative hint that is interesting to you if you are what people call a "thinking customer", especially, if you think about investing a few hundred bucks into a new cpu:

Take a short look about why Intel has been punished 1,4 Billion Dollars and now pays another 1 Billion Dollars to AMD. Fun is: They pay it for having mislead customers like you and me - more details in the cpu-war thread as posted.

And again: Do THEY pay for it? No, their customers again have to pay for it.

If hinting to this facts makes me a fanboy of AMD ... then I am a fanboy of everyone who has been treated illegally. And that you can take for granted.

3. I am no more willing to derail this thread but had to answer your second personal insult to me ("posting shite", "a load of horse shit"). I am done here. I am not waiting for your third personal insult only for hinting to facts that seriously should be taken into consideration before investing in a product.

I have:

i7 920

4890 1GB

6GB DDR

640GB WD SE HDD

Win 7 64-bit

Here's my rig:

i7 920

GTX285 1GB

8GB DDR3 (on winxp 32bit so it doesn't matter)

1.5TB HDD

WinXP 32Bit SP2

I can have huge firefights in any city without any problems, it runs very smoothly!!

My ArmA 2 video settings:

Resolution 1680x1050

3D Resolution 100%

All settings on high

View Distance currently on 5000m(makes no difference if it 3500 or 5000 for me)

Postprocess effects off

Edited by JW Custom

Guys, can you please help me.

I've just bought a NEW computer for A2 and by rights, it should be smashing it for performance - but I have everthing on low settings to get normal, flowing performance (when running/shooting), yet still get the 'stutters' when panning around, or looking quickly at objects/team-members...

I know NOTHING about over-clocking and RAM bottlenecks, but I'm a bit miffed that A2 is not smooth on my rig. I even have no voice addons, and OFP vegetation to help with performance, but still get the 'stutters'.

My Rig...

W7 64 bit

Intel i7 CPU quad core @ 3.33 Ghz

6GB RAM (5GB usable)

2x GTX 275 in sli series

25% used on 279GB hard drive...

Can you please offer any siggestions or help for more performance? I'd really appreciate your help :) My A2 experience is a bit disappointing at the moment...

Stew

Here's my rig:

i7 920

GTX285 1GB

8GB DDR3 (on winxp 32bit so it doesn't matter)

1.5TB HDD

WinXP 32Bit SP2

I can have huge firefights in any city without any problems, it runs very smoothly!!

My ArmA 2 video settings:

Resolution 1680x1050

3D Resolution 100%

All settings on high

View Distance currently on 5000m(makes no difference if it 3500 or 5000 for me)

Postprocess effects off

2x 4GB ?

oooohhh, another popular rig topic....

:p

we can't have too mcuh of these

Hey, Herbal Influence and TimRiceSE - please take your fanboy argument to PMs and stop derailing the thread. Kthx.

To answer your question, Stewy, try lowering the amount of RAM you're using at one time, and try running only one of your two graphics cards. BIS games have been known to not like SLI or RAM greater than 4GB.

Guys, can you please help me.

I've just bought a NEW computer for A2 and by rights, it should be smashing it for performance - but I have everthing on low settings to get normal, flowing performance (when running/shooting), yet still get the 'stutters' when panning around, or looking quickly at objects/team-members...

I know NOTHING about over-clocking and RAM bottlenecks, but I'm a bit miffed that A2 is not smooth on my rig. I even have no voice addons, and OFP vegetation to help with performance, but still get the 'stutters'.

My Rig...

W7 64 bit

Intel i7 CPU quad core @ 3.33 Ghz

6GB RAM (5GB usable)

2x GTX 275 in sli series

25% used on 279GB hard drive...

Can you please offer any siggestions or help for more performance? I'd really appreciate your help :) My A2 experience is a bit disappointing at the moment...

Stew

The stuttering when looking around is most likely caused by poor HDD performance. What type of HDD do you have? You could consider using some of your RAM to load the most accessed .pbo's into a RAM Drive, or get a SSD, or maybe just load the addons from a flash drive.

Kthx?

If I may chime in, too: One way to obtain a few more fps is to run without AntiAliasing, IF your monitor is at least 1680x1050.

In my own preference, for such resolutions and above, AA does not do much for picture quality. It comes down to personal preference, of course, but the OP was talking about a 20 inch screen. If that screen has a high resolution, AA will not matter much.

I have not tried USB stick or SSD to prevent stuttering but i do use PerfectDisk for hard drive defrag and it makes a good improvement in game and for my PC all in all.

I am running w7 and a seagate barracuda

If I may chime in, too: One way to obtain a few more fps is to run without AntiAliasing, IF your monitor is at least 1680x1050.

In my own preference, for such resolutions and above, AA does not do much for picture quality. It comes down to personal preference, of course, but the OP was talking about a 20 inch screen. If that screen has a high resolution, AA will not matter much.

AA matters at 2048/1536.. you will have jaggies and crawlies even with 200% (4096/3072), But then you do say preference, Best way to get more performance is to buy it. SSD's are good, ramdisks are great, more than 1GB of vidram is a must.

Double GPU is always a waste of money compared to a better single card.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=8

how so?

I went for 2x5770's and they kick the arse out of 5850 and are on a parr with 5870 and I saved £40+

The only way a more powerfull/expensive card is better is if you are going to get another of those too :p

Hey,

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry to hear about some of you in this thread struggling with performance, im sure you'll get desirable results eventually. Judging on alot of the people specs here ill be playing on a lower resolution so that might lend a helping hand :). Hope some other folks got some good advice and such from here.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=8

how so?

I went for 2x5770's and they kick the arse out of 5850 and are on a parr with 5870 and I saved £40+

The only way a more powerfull/expensive card is better is if you are going to get another of those too :p

Because micro stutering negates the FPS advantage you get. In the worst case 60FPS feels like 30FPS on a single card, even though the FPS number is doubled.

Because micro stutering negates the FPS advantage you get. In the worst case 60FPS feels like 30FPS on a single card, even though the FPS number is doubled.

Is anyone here satisfied with there multi gpu setup for arma 2 and other games? Seems like so many struggle with them.

personnaly, i find huge firefight in big city , a pain in arss.

my Q6600 run @2.8ghz , but it's definitly not enough in regards of my FPS. i speak about 18 20max. 15FPS at chernogorosk doors tonight :( ...

i don't think L2 cache could does the difference. Q9xxx , what for ?

I would like to know if an OCed cpu could make things better. i'm not sure...