Sign in to follow this  
astral54r

DCS: A-10C Warthog

60USD? think ill wait until the price droppes

I'll wait till it drops in half.

The price really is reflective of the sim quality imo. If you are prepared to devote alot of time to it, then its well worth it.

The price really is reflective of the sim quality imo. If you are prepared to devote alot of time to it, then its well worth it.

$60.00 is less than a decent night out and as Shadow says, if you spend some time with it, you will get your money's worth and more :D

"Protected" by Starforce? kthxbye

I will never ever install that Starforce crap on any of my PCs - never.

"Protected" by Starforce? kthxbye

I will never ever install that Starforce crap on any of my PCs - never.

Yah, Im with you on this - I REALLY don't like it and it's only because these guys make such good games that I make an exception. I'd make the same exception for BIS but those are the only two companies tbh. I really don't like SF but in it's defence, it is much improved since it's controversial beginnings. I haven't had any issues with it in recent history with the exception of the limited activations but ED are pretty swift at issuing new codes should you require them.

Edited by BangTail

It's still the same company that makes StarForce though, and their business moral = no purchase. Too bad. I'd like DCS: A-10.

It's still the same company that makes StarForce though, and their business moral = no purchase. Too bad. I'd like DCS: A-10.

I respect that - as I said, I'm no fan of SF :(

Is it a coincidence that Thrustmaster are releasing a special A-10C HOTAS this month? :rolleyes:

Whooo :) as an owner of a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS with rudder, I am naturally drawn to this :) And it comes with Hall sensors already implemented, niiiice :)

I've been drooling over that for the past week, then looking at the credit card :p

Cant really justify it though and as the missus pointed out "you have a perfectly good joystick there". So until my X52 breaks, im gonna have to keep looking at photo's. Then again a well timed drop down the stairs before xmas could be in order :rolleyes:

I've been drooling over that for the past week, then looking at the credit card :p

Cant really justify it though and as the missus pointed out "you have a perfectly good joystick there". So until my X52 breaks, im gonna have to keep looking at photo's. Then again a well timed drop down the stairs before xmas could be in order :rolleyes:

I might recommend a suspiciously fortuitous spilling of hot, sweet, sticky coffee over your poor X52 ;)

Or, just tell her it's broken. I mean, what woman checks?

Might have to be tea, as a sudden switch to coffee might be a bit too suspicious :D

As for checking..... I wouldn't put it past her.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

$60.00 is less than a decent night out and as Shadow says, if you spend some time with it, you will get your money's worth and more :D

For some reason I read that as 'you will get your monkey's worth and more :D'.

I really like my x52. I'm more of a function person than a form person when it comes to my peripherals. I have a very basic keyboard with nice keyfeel, etc. You'd have to do a lot of talking to convince me I needed an A-10C HOTAS when I already have such a wonderful working joystick!

For some reason I read that as 'you will get your monkey's worth and more :D'.

I really like my x52. I'm more of a function person than a form person when it comes to my peripherals. I have a very basic keyboard with nice keyfeel, etc. You'd have to do a lot of talking to convince me I needed an A-10C HOTAS when I already have such a wonderful working joystick!

Lol :D

Yah, I'm going to stick with my X-65. The A-10 HOTAS looks very nice though.

Only problem with the X52 is the terribly weak return spring and flimsy lid for the weapon release button.

I toyed with the idea of an X65, but apart from the price not being that far off the A10 HOTAS. I dont really like the sound of the "pressure" movement on the stick not having it actually move i think i would find weird.

More than likely November time, that was the case with Black Shark. If you are definatly going to buy it though, you might aswell pre-order it now and get access to the open beta. Apart from a few things, pretty much everything is already in placee for you to try. It feels more complete than many other games i've bought as final in recent years.

Best of both worlds really, get to mess with the beta now and then download the final as soon as its released.

I toyed with the idea of an X65, but apart from the price not being that far off the A10 HOTAS. I dont really like the sound of the "pressure" movement on the stick not having it actually move i think i would find weird.

Honestly, it's a great stick and I had some of the same concerns you did before I bought it.

It is not a good stick if you fly props but I don't so that's a moot point :)

I saw the start up to take off videos, man that's some serious detail, very intested in this.

I was watching the Glowing Amraam video from the game and must say i got hooked right on the spot...

But i am total noob in flight-sims, is there any difficulty settings ??? so the learning curve wont break my spirit.. Because it looks a bit overwhemling...

There is an "Arcade" setting which adds alot of stabilisation etc. and simplifies it alot. But i would really recommend throwing yourself in deepend and going with the simulation setting. Otherwise you will find it harder to make the transition at a later date.

The first thing i would advise it to learn the cockpit layout & aircraft characteristics before tackling the systems. Learn how the aircraft handles at diff speeds/alttitudes, get to know the limits of the aircraft at slow speed. Practice and practice again your takeoff's / landings. Once you have a good handle on this, then progress to learning the systems which compliment this. So the Navigation/ Autopilot / Stabalisation.

My personal opinion is that you should be at a comfortable level with these, before starting on combat employment, as this really ups the workload and the way you need to think about flying.

I'm not going to lie, it can be a very steep learning curve for someone who hasnt much experience with flight sims. But i assure you its well worth it, once you complete your 1st full sortie you can sit and smile to yourself.

The other thing i would say is try and learn to play the sim, with no tags on for friendly or enemy vehicles. Again this ups the workload and difficulty, but if you learn the sim with these on the transition to tags off will be difficult.

The thing to remember is there are alot of people out there both on here and the ED forums who would be happy to help with any queries you have. The ED forums also have a lot of invaluable info that can really help.

What kind of hardware do you have?? Joystick/Pedals/TrackIR?

I got the Saitek X52 Pro and no more, was considering Trackir..

A good HOTAS is key and you have that covered, i myself have a the standard X52 and although i would love one of the newer dual throttle sticks. I have to admit its still a very good stick. Getting a profile set up for yourself will be the main thing. But you can download many examples from the ED forums to get you started.

I would definatly recommend a TrackIR, once you have tried it you will wonder how you have manged without it. It will be even more important in the A-10C as you will have to be constantly scanning out of the cockpit, especially over an area with IR threats.

As for pedals, you dont really need these to start out. It does however make a difference for advanced flight manouvers where you require control over the X/Y axis without having to "twist" aswell for rudder. But as i said they're not required and the "twist" axis will be fine.

I've said this before and ill reiterate the point. To get the most of this sim and other DCS titles, you really have to put the time and effort in. You will be frustrated & overwhelmed at first, but take it in stages and the effort pays off.

Thanks a lot, i will give it a shot... Just gonna check for a trackir.