Sign in to follow this  
JesterOC

Quick Poll: Steam or DVD?

Steam or DVD  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Steam or DVD

• I have the steam version and I recommend Steam!
    • I have the steam version and I recommend DVD!
    • I have the DVD version and I recommend steam!
    • I have the DVD version and I recommend DVD!

Hey guys I am planning on buying the game, but I want to know if their are any limitations with the Steam version?

Could you please click on the suggestion on which version to get?

Thanks,

JesterOC

No, there are no limitations with the Steam version.

Agreed.

Well, other than the fact that the directory is different than ArmA1 and OFP. It's a big deal for vets like me, I usually look for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive" for all my BIS games. But with the steam it is in the steamapps folder. It just takes some getting used to if you are used to the old way. I myself purchased the game from Nexway, and Steam. Both are digital download.

I have digital download version, and i recommend digital download.

:cheese:

Setting up mods and beta patches is a pain with the Steam launcher. You can, of course, streamline things by downloading the user-made launcher and keep it all tidy.

one problem with steam: it's a piece of trash that bugs out all the time. and for whatever reason, do not uninstall steam. it will delete your steam apps folder where all your games are stored without warning.

steam: counter intuitive bs at its worst.

I recommend DVD only because it's a lot cheaper than the Steam version, like 25+ USD cheaper, otherwise I have no issues with Steam... in fact I bought a lot of games off Steam just a while ago during Thanksgiving, with great deals like $4.99 for Mirror's Edge, $24.99 for Batman: Arkham Asylum and Resident Evil 5, $49.99 for THQ pack with 20+ AAA titles, etc. I mean where else could u find such deals if not at Steam? And why would I ever wanna uninstall Steam, LOL? I tend to backup my games as soon as I've DL'ed them anyway.

Edited by Amuro

Forgot to mention. Steam has those "weekend deals" and sometimes ArmA2 is on them. I took advantage of this, one weekend ArmA2 was 50% off so I purchased the game for 25$. Another + for Steam.

I decided to go DVD (although I think I would have liked the ease of use with Steam.. no DVD etc. ) but I had two issues.

1) I want it cheap.

2) I want it now.

Although Steam would be fastest, I don't want to wait for a random sale, so I went with GoGamer for 30% off.

Thanks for all of your input.

See you online in a few days (hopefully).

JesterOC

DVD. I am always skeptical of other distributors' versions. You can't go wrong with the DVD from the original developer.

My 2 cents. -Splicer.

one problem with steam: it's a piece of trash that bugs out all the time. and for whatever reason, do not uninstall steam. it will delete your steam apps folder where all your games are stored without warning.

Yes, if you uninstall Steam, of course all the Steam features (including games) are removed. Duh!

Edited by Johan S

I got Arma 2 on DVD mainly because steam is unreliable at best for me. And because It came in a case, so I could add it to my collection.

I recommend DVD.

I decided to go DVD (although I think I would have liked the ease of use with Steam.. no DVD etc. ) but I had two issues.

1) I want it cheap.

2) I want it now.

Although Steam would be fastest, I don't want to wait for a random sale, so I went with GoGamer for 30% off.

Thanks for all of your input.

See you online in a few days (hopefully).

JesterOC

Jester, the latest beta patch lets u start the game without the need of having the DVD in the drive. Another + for BIS.

Jester, the latest beta patch lets u start the game without the need of having the DVD in the drive. Another + for BIS.

Really?! Awesome. :jump_clap:

Only reason I bought DVD is because it was available earlier for me than steam. :)

I find steam to be very conveniant for buying games but I think i'll always prefer a physical copy :)

Ah yes... My old nemesis... STEAM.

First of all let me start by saying that I hate steam with a passion.

Now, before you nerdrage on me let me say that I still have a 2mb internet connection that isn't always stable (because my country doesn't have the appropriate infrastructure for fast internet). I also have 4 pcs on lan and too many friends that play on them.

My first experience with steam was with GTA4. I installed it on all 4 pcs and my problems started straight away. I couldn't log on all the time, my passwords didn't work, my steam friends couldn't receive my invitations etc.

I uninstalled it as soon as I finished the sp game hoping I wouldn't have to deal with it any more.

Then COD4 MW2 came out and I bought 4 copies of it, installed everything aaaand....

Same old shit! It took me about half an hour to log in everyday. Most of the times I got the message that my pc is unable to contact steam for some reason. When I finally did log in (once in five or six attempts) I couldn't bring up the steam control panels. When I managed to activate the console I couldn't create games etc.

Every time I started a game, steam had to update... Now, this may not be a problem for you but I don't feel like waiting 2 minutes to play a game, cause that's how long it takes. Two of my pcs cannot bring steam up unless I alt+tab out of the game and open steam from the tray.

I really don't think I need to go on.

I prefer DVDs. I don't appreciate that centralized control thing that goes on in steam anyway and I don't trust an interface that filters everything and doesn't allow me to do things my way.

I am sure many people like having their games on a convenient list on the internet. I just like having the choice of playing even when my damn internet connection has pms.

Edited by Master gamawa

Steam:

• You don't have to leave the computer to buy games.
  • Prevents you from sitting on or eating a DVD version.

Disk:

• It's shiny on the underside, you can use it as a mirror to do your hair in the morning.
  • If you lose your DVDkey then at least you can still use it as a frisbee to play with your friends or dog to compensate.

I prefer the DVD, never had trouble with it, never lost any Key. I also write down the keys on paper, in case it get`s unreadable after some time.

I have personally never experienced issues while using Steam. A downside is that if you lose connection and Steam is in online mode you cannot access any of your games. I did however discover that you can play everything in offline mode even online games. I don't run it in online mode unless I want to update or check out their current specials and since I don't use Steam Overlay much it isn't an issue for me. (I was regretting not having a disc until I discovered this)

On the plus side you don't have to worry about a disc and cd key or invasive anti piracy programs and there is no limit on reinstalling as with some other D2D companies.

On the downside some people have issues with Steam. There are no issues with setting up mods though and I don't understand the issue with beta patches either except that people might be using beta patches that are not made for the Steam version (do people not read?).So far as uninstalling Steam, of course it will delete the games too. They cannot launch without Steam as they use a different executable to launch so they are useless without it anyway. Of course you could back up the files before any type of reformatting and just stick them back in to avoid having to download them again.

With Steam some hacker can hack your account, while with DVD the only way someone will have your game is when they break into your house :)

With Steam some hacker can hack your account, while with DVD the only way someone will have your game is when they break into your house :)

You think hackers can't hack your computers and steal your DVD key?

Steam:

• You don't have to leave the computer to buy games.
  • Prevents you from sitting on or eating a DVD version.

Disk:

• It's shiny on the underside, you can use it as a mirror to do your hair in the morning.
  • If you lose your DVDkey then at least you can still use it as a frisbee to play with your friends or dog to compensate.

lolz :D