Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Rebellion wants you to know they aren't stupid :)

Very disappointed to read John Carmack's comments..

Very disappointed to read John Carmack's comments..

Yep, he's a sellout. Doesn't come as a huge surprise :(

Good news about AvP though :)

It's funny how Carmack regards dedicated servers as obsolete technology when online gaming EVOLVED from p2p to dedicated servers for various good reasons. The console scene is clinging on to the unreliable and weak method of only using players as hosts, with every second of online fun depending on the host's connection and personal life (dinner or sleepy time=session disconnected).

He went console some time ago.

Edited by Baff1

Thats sounds like a disease or "cuckoo"... I like it :)

Man who bashed dedicated servers will not get a cent from me.

"We’ll see how it works out for everyone else."

Not very well, as far as I have seen so far. Sounds like a textbook case of "Lazy Bollocks" Syndrome.

Not very well, as far as I have seen so far. Sounds like a textbook case of "Lazy Bollocks" Syndrome.

For someone as clued in as he supposedly is, he sounds remarkably out of the "loop".

Sounds to me like the check cleared and he is saying whatever "they" paid him to say.

First Battlefield and now AvP...two series that started on the PC and haven't forgotten their roots.

Funny how such a small comment from Carmack, can have such a big inpact on my anticipations for Rage. I've gone from 'Can't wait' to 'Better wait'.

He dropped off my radar when Wolfenstein was announced for consoles as well as PC.

He dropped off my radar when Wolfenstein was announced for consoles as well as PC.

The SNES version was pretty lame indeed.

Im interested in the new AvP and been following it for a while, i was more interested in Colonial Marines though.. i hope AvP turns out a good game for everyone, dedicated servers or not its still a multiplatform game..

John Carmack has always had strange and sometimes mind boggling opinions regarding the future of gaming in general. If i remember right when dedicated GPU cards were being released, Carmack wasn't exactly keen on such a thing but eventually grew to accept them (as did everyone else), and of course he was never a fan on Aegia's technology with PhysX, and while having a dedicated PhysX card wasn't the best idea, Nvidia integrating them into their new GPU's I think is a good step forward. The idea is to take the processing stresses off of the CPU, and no matter how powerful CPU's get, games will always try to wear them out with more and more processes. This is why every year or two we get a new game that just tears into hardware.

uVzXuL9NsSo&feature=player_embedded

Thats Bishop there :) .

What else.. game is banned in Australia and Germany, sadly.

Because of gore and violence. I know... :confused: .

"We can send you to Afghanistan, but we don't want you playing violent video games."

Awesome.

We all know that P2P connect is gay and you'ed be lucky if you can get a good connect within the country, the problem is the internet have grown so big that there is billions of people online and cocking about every single min, and P2P simply dont work if you intented to play with people around the world, sad things is, Blood sucking businessmen and lazy developers aint that smart enought

I've played GTA IV with ppl from the US, Russia and even Brazil, now thats a complex game, with data streaming constantly, a.i, physics, vehicles and large draw distance, the netcode is really good.

Now today we have multiple core cpu's, several GB of ram and optic fiber spreading out.

Do you really think we will need dedicated servers to play a simple fps in the future?

Because thats what MW2 and AVP are, simple FPS games.

I agree with Carmack.

The future where everyone has excellent internet to play 'simple' FPS games like they are on a dedicated server is, well, in the future. Probably quite far in the future.

I would like to agree, and probably will be able to in the future, but every game I play that has dedi servers runs like a charm for me, and every game that's p2p runs like a dog.

The idea of P2P can't possibly work for users in the UK, Australia etc. until our governments force the telecoms companies to invest in the infrastructure. Sure, you might have an 8mb connection (which refers to download only, on the sly), but in reality you've got a 300kb upload rate - impossible to play anything.

Take a look at this from 'Modern Warfail' for a laugh:

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/08/mw2-gamer-thanks-for-getting-me-in-trouble-infinity-ward/

The ISP suddenly thinks these guys are running a 24 hour dedicated server from their home line! Phat pipes indeed... . Post release, IW's customer services department started admitting that there are problems inherent in the P2P system and claimed that customers had adequate warning before purchase.

I like to imagine CodeMasters sat in their offices in Warwickshire on their T1 line, playing Dragon Rising with the guys and gals at the next desk and thinking to themselves 'Yup, this netcode sure is sweet! Don't know what all these whingers are talking about, claiming there are problems with our third party lobby system.'

Thank God we can rely on BFBC2 to at least work.

Edited by Richey79

John Carmack is a remnant from the early days of PC gaming.

Doom is another perfect example, when playing Doom3 it seemed gameplay hasn't changed much since 1994. :P

The future where everyone has excellent internet to play 'simple' FPS games like they are on a dedicated server is, well, in the future. Probably quite far in the future.

Its not anywhere in the future and you dont need an "excellent" conection either. GTA IV thru GFWL does it already for quite some time now.. P2P works great.

Passing data back and forth betwean clients using a server doesnt make sense anymore, its a thing of the past.

There are ofcourse interests in keeping dedicated servers going.. a popular online shooter like MW2 would generate huge 3rd party profits if it required dedicated servers for online play..

A simple online shooter doesnt even transfer that much data, you have people running around in a arena blasting around..

I agree with Mr. Carmack :) .