Sign in to follow this  
Chunk3ym4n

Unreal Engine 3 now free

http://www.moddb.com/engines/unreal-engine-3/news/unreal-engine-3-free-to-indies

ModDB posted:

Only a week after Unity announced the free use of their engine for indie and mod teams, Epic Games has unveiled UDK UNREAL DEVELOPMENT KIT (clever name that) for use by indie and mod teams. While the choice of tools and engines available to mod and indie developers increases by the day, traditionally engines the magnitude and relevance of UE have been out of the reach of smaller teams due to licensing costs edging close to a million.

However while it may be free to develop and release a non-commercial game, should you wish to profit from your hard work the current UDK license states that 25% of all revenue earnt beyond $5,000 will be paid to Epic as your licensing cost. I consider this a small price to pay with no risk for developers who now have access to proven technology.

What will the developers do with this? Only time will tell, I for one see the availability of unrestrictive powerful tools like this as PROOF of the POWER that PC gaming still has. While traditional PC developers (i.e. Infinity Ward and others) may be shunning the PC crowd with "consolized" versions of their game and trying to convince us that the reason for these decisions are to provide a better experience, we know better, and we deserve better. No other platform provides the power and creativity possibilities that the PC does, no other platform makes you jump through hoops to release via digital distribution. Indie developers... I for one eagerly await the games you make because of decisions like this, as I know you only making games you want to make and play.

Download

This is completely awesome. I'm just fiddling around here in the editor and they give you a few example textures, scripts, models, and entities from UT3.

TUTORIAL VIDEOS

http://www.moddb.com/members/ephemeratics/downloads

I hope someone makes an Infilitration for UE3!

Cue the obligatory "ArmA 3 should use this new engine!" discussion.

It's companies like EPIC that will make sure that PC gaming, or rather gaming in general lives on and thrives - A fantastic decision really. Let the indie games flow.

Cue the obligatory "ArmA 3 should use this new engine!" discussion.

I don't think that discussion will start up. The UE3-engine is designed for completely different things. It's like using a racing game engine and use it for military sim...

I don't think that discussion will start up. The UE3-engine is designed for completely different things. It's like using a racing game engine and use it for military sim...

Yeah, only a fool would do that ;)

[sarcasm]Really, what are they thinking. It is impossible to create one of the best infantry sim ever with the engine of a arena shooter[/sarcasm]

Fortunately, not every genius coders listen to that kind of statement.

http://dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html

http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

Because they actually did it.

When you see those tools or Crysis Sandbox, you really discover that BIS tools really aren't very userfriendly...

You'd think people have more sense than that, but the regular "ArmA should use the Crysis engine" threads suggest otherwise.

Leaving that aside, this is good news alright.

UE3 cán be used for military sims, or at least a very realistic game, just as UE2 engine could.

Cue R6: Raven Shield and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45.

UE3 cán be used for military sims, or at least a very realistic game, just as UE2 engine could.

Cue R6: Raven Shield and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45.

Or we can stick to the engine that BIS has been developing for over a decade and that is widely used in militaries around the world :rolleyes:

They can't even make a racing sim out of that engine only an arcade racer.

Well of course it would be ridiculous to try making a game like ArmA in that engine. But it sure is possible to make a game with a good level of realism on a smaller scale. Some examples are given above.

I downloaded the kit myself. Need to learn how to use it though :o

Comes with some good example stuff, including the UT3 demo content.

It has some limitations. No dedicated servers, and no mid-level load/save features. I don't know if it's possible for these to be added in somehow.

Maybe a dedicated server is possible by making a modified version of the game and somehow disabling the 3D graphics so it doesn't require a graphics card.

Save/load, maybe can be done with the scripting engine?

Need to remember that you can't touch the source code, so some limitations you'll be stuck with.

[sarcasm]Really, what are they thinking. It is impossible to create one of the best infantry sim ever with the engine of a arena shooter[/sarcasm]

Fortunately, not every genius coders listen to that kind of statement.

http://dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html

http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/

Because they actually did it.

Maybe you should realise that Infiltration is not the same type of game that OFP/ArmA is before you pour all your flak on me. Just look at the scale.

Maybe you should realise that Infiltration is not the same type of game that OFP/ArmA is before you pour all your flak on me. Just look at the scale.

You mentionned nothing about a game of the OFP/ArmA scale, re-read your own post, you wrote "military sim".

Military sim is not equal to "same type of game tha OFP/ArmA, just look at the scale".

Infiltration, like OFP/ArmA is a military sim, while unlike OFP/ArmA, Infiltration is focused on infantry combat and so on the scale and details it takes.

You mentionned nothing about a game of the OFP/ArmA scale, re-read your own post, you wrote "military sim".

Military sim is not equal to "same type of game tha OFP/ArmA, just look at the scale".

Infiltration, like OFP/ArmA is a military sim, while unlike OFP/ArmA, Infiltration is focused on infantry combat and so on the scale and details it takes.

Look here, I was quoting ch 123. ch 123 was writing about ArmA 3. Hence, my entire post was about ArmA 3 - and games like it. The third sentence, which you're probably referring to, should be put in this context. Thus, the usage of "military sim" in this context would actually mean something like "games more or less similar to the OFP/ArmA-approach of military simulators". I would agree that my original statement was a bit hastily written, but so was your eagerness to bite at it. But for this, I apologise, and my excuse is that (as far as I can remember) I was half-naked, half-air-guitaring Led Zep while writing the original post. So as you can probably understand, my conscience was not fully focused on the post. And I'm not a native English speaker.

If you want to get yourself worked up because of this, fine by me. You seem to take it personal, to the point of attacking me. But if I were you, I'd reconsider next time I'm about to launch upon a person writing a post mostly meant to be taken as poking fun at a certain game which you are probably familiar with. It's not constructive for me, not you, nor the atmosphere of this forum.

Now, if someone would tell my why the hell I even bother to write this at half past five in the morning I'd much appreciate it. Thank you.

(...) I was half-naked, half-air-guitaring Led Zep while writing the original post. So as you can probably understand, my conscience was not fully focused on the post. (...) It's not constructive for me, not you, nor the atmosphere of this forum.

Now, if someone would tell my why the hell I even bother to write this at half past five in the morning I'd much appreciate it. Thank you.

Did ya find your clothes again? :eek: :confused:

Nice post to get the coworking an' cogaming atmosphere back here again!

Seriously.

From time to time, people need to get back to a broad smile to get back to the origin of this all: entertainment and fascination with high tec! (for me)

Remember the broad smile I had when first opening the first mission on OFP1 - it never left me ... :) And now I experienced it again ... LOL ...

Edited by Herbal Influence

i don't think that discussion will start up. The ue3-engine is designed for completely different things. It's like using a racing game engine and use it for military sim...

oh snap

Did you notice that even speed tree is included? If I only had the time to learn all this stuff... :o

how does this work? i mean does it need something els or is it a stand alone?

downloaded 3 copies and all were corrupt, were they corrupt or do they need something els to make them install?

i'm very good with engines but not this sort. i would love to learn something like this.

Awesome! I will look into this if Arma 2 editing (learning) lets me which is quite unlikely. But I really love the Unreal engine 3 for its looks, wish it had more good games attached to it. Most of the ones using it now are either bad or so so with some exceptions.

With a bit of luck someone makes something very nice with this :D.