Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

AddonSync2009 (downloader, launcher)

UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)

• Start of download (leave it as is)
    • Start of tool
    • What's UAC? (google Virtual Store, have fun)
    • Arf f*** UAC, first thing I disable after installing Vista/Win7

Hi, is their a way to some how add Armaholic into AddonSync so i can download and update lots of mods?

Of course thats possible.

Just rent us a server with at least 20 TB of traffic and we will add the domain for it. I have a few still available.

:yay:

Made a preliminary version that should be OA compatible.

• Tries detecting OA
  • Gamespy search seems to work
  • Can launch OA with addons.
    The beta is a bit of a bitch but should work if you create a modset having modline
    Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion . NO NEED TO SELECT THE BETA EXE!
  • Can tell who's playing etc
  • Should enable admins to create OA repositories

As with anything that brings a lot of changes, this is bound to have some bugs :D

Edited by Yoma

Excellant work Yoma, thank you for this greatest and only tool that should be used to launch ArmA/2/OA. Was wondering how long it would take for you to get it working with OA. :D

Cheers.

Cool thanks. So with the detection of both Arma 2 and Arma 2:OA, does the tool install the mods to both folders or just Arma 2? I'm just curious because this is how STEAM has it setup. It's rumored to be fixed in an upcoming patch but I was just curious. Cheers.

It will install mods to the OA main folder detected in the registry.

(Or to any folder you select...)

Ahh ok. I had to specify the Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead folder manually (I have STEAM version) and then it worked fine. For those that don't know, on the download addons tab there's a "download to" option where you can specify the folder.

If you need to specify the OA location: check out if the correct registry settings exist. You'll probably like having them set when patches come out...

It may be a lot better to specify the folder in settings, OA folder. By the way did it detect anything in there?

Made a preliminary version that should be OA compatible.

• Tries detecting OA
  • Gamespy search seems to work
  • Can launch OA with addons.
    The beta is a bit of a bitch but should work if you create a modset having modline
    Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion . NO NEED TO SELECT THE BETA EXE!
  • Can tell who's playing etc
  • Should enable admins to create OA repositories

As with anything that brings a lot of changes, this is bound to have some bugs :D

Can't launch the beta says warning directory does not exist. Launches game ok but not beta.

Edit: Ok sorted it. You need to create an 'addons' directory in both Expansion and Expansion\Beta\Expansion to stop the tool complaining. Addon directories just need to be valid and contain nothing from what I can tell (only loaded beta and cant test the KH pack as svr full atm).

Edited by Thr0tt

You can also just ignore the complaints and it will still launch the beta...

The reason this message was implemented is for users that don't realise they have to have addons subfolders for loading addons...

Or simply to warn people that they haven't downloaded the stuff yet...

I'll see if I can make some exceptions (like for loading the beta)... In most other cases it's actually a usefull message.

Edited by Yoma

Can u add ACE_PA to the repositry because i had to download it manually yesterday when trying to update my ACE mod via addonSync

I'm not managing any repositories at all...

I just provide the tool.

Try contacting the dear people of Kelly's Heroes if you want their repo to get updated/altered.

Can u add ACE_PA to the repositry because i had to download it manually yesterday when trying to update my ACE mod via addonSync

I guess wanted to say ACE_PLA

It is there in our repo. Click on the link in my sig.

Hey guys, what exactly do "Winxp" and "dsound" do?

I am using Windows 7 x64 and I read that XP has better performance? Is this why there is a "winxp" tag? And what about dsound?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Hey guys, what exactly do "Winxp" and "dsound" do?

I am using Windows 7 x64 and I read that XP has better performance? Is this why there is a "winxp" tag? And what about dsound?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

-winxp used to be a fix for multigpu setups under Vista/Win7, i personally don't even know if it's still needed/has any use in OA

-dsound used to force usage of DirectX soundsengine (instead of OpenAL engine) again I do not know if it has any use in OA

If you don't have any big problems, don't enable any of them.

There probably are other reasons a winxp setup performs better (again I don't know if this is still true for OA)

I personally doubt Vista or 7 would be faster due to the extra abstraction layer between DirectX and hardwaredrivers which was first implemented in Vista and ported to 7. Also XP has a lower basic CPU/Memory profile then both 7 and Vista.

As the OS is "doing less" more resources become available to demanding applications like Arma/OA. That said there might be other hardware/software optimisations I'm not aware of that could potentially boost performance under 7 allthough I really doubt they exist.

Other then that XP is a dying platform and for various other reasons one might switch to 7(x64)

I found it compelling that the system requirements on the DVD box of OA mentionned xp/Vista as minimal options and 7 as optimal, but everyone knows that's just a printed line on a cover...

Edited by Yoma

Would it be possible to have AddonSync automatically manage the copying of new userconfig files into the appropriate directories?

Would it be possible to have AddonSync automatically manage the copying of new userconfig files into the appropriate directories?

You mean for server or client. In our repo we are sharing the latest userconfig so you'll have the latest one if you sync/download that as well.

Others should do that as well.

You can reach & see our repos by clicking the link in my sig.

Well, the way I've seen it setup is each of the mods/addons we use has their own userconfigs and these are setup to download with AddonSync. However, these need to be manually copied after AddonSync is finished downloading. I was just thinking it might be nice for the clientside tool to manage these in a friendly way like showing changes/additions that have been made. Mostly a minor issue, just an idea. :)

I actually don't really get why userconfigs are outside a mod's folder.

This could cause potential issues when running multiple versions of mods in different folders.

The spreading of config files themselves is totally up to the maker of the repository.

In my personal opinion stuff like "you need to set your playername in a config file" is crap and should be avoided at all costs. (allthough i'm sure there are valid technical reasons for doing this)

I once started looking to parse config files and add in the "diff" in the new files, but it's too much work for too little payoff.

Yome when the list is long, the slide bar of the addons list in download tab does not work properly.

When YAS is mazimized no scroll bar but still folders below z_commom_ace.

When YAS not maxed but stretched to fit vertically there is a scroll bar but you cannot scroll down to the end.

Try with our community repo.

Yome when the list is long, the slide bar of the addons list in download tab does not work properly.

When YAS is mazimized no scroll bar but still folders below z_commom_ace.

When YAS not maxed but stretched to fit vertically there is a scroll bar but you cannot scroll down to the end.

Try with our community repo.

Fixed in next version.

Could you also add UTF-8 encoding support?

Some characters are not shown properly in the players list.

Thank you very much

Yoma..

Dev heaven is down..so posting here.

I guess we reached the holy limit of 51 folders... it aint taking any more :D

Really, guess there is a 51 folder limit. If I add one more to Repo, Yoma client crashes if it selects all in DL-Tab.

At the risk for catching flak about searching, here we go.

This is how I have A2 and OA setup in YAS:

YAS_OA1.png

I have the both A2 and OA betas installed, I checked both the ArmA2 installed and OA installed boxes(although when I try to start the game, ArmA2 box goes blank.), I've tried several times to run the expansion with no success(always get an error about "no dir found", and game will not start).

This is my modset I use:

YAS_OA2.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Try setting the OA game folder equal to the Arma2 folder.

ATM I can't be arsed to implement a lot of fixes for a flawed Steam release.

Didn't work. I'll eventually go get a hard copy of ArmA2 and say farewell to third party game crack sites altogether.

Thanks for the help.