Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

AddonSync2009 (downloader, launcher)

UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)

• Start of download (leave it as is)
    • Start of tool
    • What's UAC? (google Virtual Store, have fun)
    • Arf f*** UAC, first thing I disable after installing Vista/Win7

I appreciate sickBoy what you do for the ArmA community. But players of my team and many others I know do not understand SixBrowser and so they don't want to use it. I know team that develop their own updater and it is very simple. Two or tree buttons and a list of addons and that's all. Players are very happy with that. They very much prefeared to spend their time in playing Arma 2 rather than looking for a the very last release of addons in a huge mess of servers.

It has much improved over time, and it will be even further improved. As you say BROWSER, it sounds like you used very old version, which is nothing like the current v2.7 version!

Your users dont even need to know anything about SU to use it in conjunction with a custom repository with mods and configuration as it's a one click solution, and YOU decide which mods and versions to host.

So who cares how complicated it looks if they dont need to do anything but click a shortcut? Besides, complicated things become easy over time.

Also if you'd simply provide feedback on what you would like to see etc, I can work on it, i"ve made 100's of improvements past weeks because people telling me what they would like to see improved.

But people need to realize I need to prioritize, seeing it's a one-man-project, like most of these are.

3 Button updaters are maybe fine for one or a few mods, or specific for a clan, but not what the scope of SU is about,

and yet it's still rather simple to use even though you have a lot of buttons, you dont have to use them!

Still I have simplifications planned, and wizard-like behaviors like many beginners seem to crave.

Besides YAS isn't a 3 button updater either.

For those thinking "Not very nice to promote in another tool's thread" - afaik the AS project is not supported any longer.

I have no benefit from trying to convince you to use SU, but I think YOU can benefit a lot from using it.

Edited by Sickboy

The customisation options and power available to the admin is unsurpassed with Six Updater. Sure, it takes a bit of setting up but once done you can do a whole lot more with SU than a regular FTP front end.

From the user perspective, if you set it up right you can simply drop a link on the forum for them to click, and it will do the rest for them. If they choose to use SU or even Armarize as their launcher, then they can autosynch with the server on joining - this is a feature that has long been missing from ArmA2 mod management and is frankly superb.

I used Yoma earlier but switched over to SU just for the sake of how easy it is to use for the players. It has a one-click solution for my players. Updating addons, installing ACRE/TS plugins, joining TS (and in the right channel) and joining the Arma server. Very easy to use for the clients and also easy for me as admin to configure and keep uptodate.

Edited by Watarimono

Yes. Might be a little work to figure out how to create that "1-click-solution" for your players, but once you figure it out they'll be very happy and find it very easy to use. And on top of it you can change the mod list without them having to do anything and they'll get the updated one automatically next time they try to start the game, and if any mod needs updating it'll be updated automatically as well! As long as you launch the game with the Six Updater shortcut you make your guys set up, that is.

Yoma's is very easy to use as well, but only in very specific situations, aka if your community actually has a server from which they can download ALL the mods that you play with at the exact correct versions, and even then they'll have to check for updates before they play if they don't want to find out they aren't up to date AFTER they start the game.

And to top it all off, Six Updater is constantly being developed, while Yoma stopped developing his.

I never said that Addon Sync actually matches what I want. Use it because it is nearly convenient with the way my community and those I know play Arma.

So the situation looks like this basically:

1. We play ArmA only like a simulation (with ACE, ACRE and all the stuff). Which means that we never play (and dislike) Domination/WarFare... on public servers. We only play on our private one or those of our friends clans. So there is absolute no need for an included servers browser and synchronisation stuff with the addons being played on public servers. We use Arma 2 Launcher from SpiritedMachine (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241) which works very well and is well understood by our players.

2. Some of our players have low DSL bandwith. A synchronisation process that auto update addons when joining server would be an absolute nightmare for all players taking part to the mission. All will have to wait for them.

3. We have robust hardware server with 1 GB symetric DSL bandwith full administrated by ourself with TS3, ftp , http.. ~24/24 7/7 available. So our players can download all addons we use from our Yoma repository at maximum of their bandwith. Those addons and only those ones are use during our missions, which prevent crashes of ArmA server due to conflicting addons.

4. Our mission makers develop their mission based on our addons server list. All of them have busy life (study, children...) so no lot of time to spend in updating their mission because an addon has been updated and it makes mission crashing. Also our addons repository is not updated all time which means that our players must absolutely be synchronised with our server and not another one.

5. Some of our players have also busy life and little time to spend in updating their addons. All they need and want is one click-like solution witch make their game updated and synchronised with our server. A stuff they can run the day/the night before the game which will automatically update their game so that they are ready to go the day after.

So what would be ideal solution from my point of view. I think the best way would be 2 softwares:

1. One for server side with the minimal following capabilities:

- One click build repository from addons server list (like yoma)

- Able to detect changes in addons server list and do as a consequence a partial rebuild, not a full one.

- Capability to generate and auto-updater file (like yoma) witch players will just have to import and auto configure their client side software.

2. One for client side

- A list featuring addons server list showing differences with the local one.

- Possibility to select/unselect addons

- One button to proceed update

- The possibility to run the client side software as a Windows service, with notifications of downloading and updating process.

Edited by Major_Shepard

1. Me and the friends I'm playing with are in the same boat. Since we started using Six Updater with our own yml URLs life became so much easier when it comes to adding/removing/updating mods. Just took a little while to figure out how to create a proper yml file (but of course Sickboy is very helpful with these stuff).

2. Six Updater updates mods faster than just downloading them. So it actually saves bandwidth compared to just re-downloading new mod versions. And besides, it takes even longer to have a player join with an incorrect setup/version then have to quit the game, update, and rejoin.

3+4. Six Updater allows you to set up custom mod sets just like in Yoma's, if that's truly what you want. Though to be honest it's probably the best idea to always use the latest version. You can even use Six Updater to keep your server up to date (though I have no personal experience with this).

5. My friends are in the same situation (actually many are less about being busy, more about being lazy, but the solution is the same). Works great for that purpose. 5 minutes to set up, after that a double click on an icon and you get all mods updated to latest version and game starts without you needing to think even a little bit.

So overall, I don't see how Six Updater isn't perfect for your needs. The only downside is that you'll have to teach people how to use it when they already know how to use addon sync, but I must say that for us this bit of extra effort paid off bigtime.

Yoma can we get any news about update version? :756:

Long time i don´t see yoma posting around anymore, hope he release updates for this awesome and simple tool. Me and my clan here in Brazil (Combate Tático) still using this.

Sorry for activating this old post, I really need help to set up ADDONSYNC rep (My unit need to use addonsync to dl our mods we have) and the guide is pretty simple - Kaputt for me ^^

Any latest guides or tutorials?

Hi can anyone solve this problem ive got with yoma's addonsync, ive installed everything launch addonsync search for game servers everything is ok to there.

when i double click on the game i want to join i keep getting server is unreachable???? tried everything nothing works please help.

Hi. Is there a way to auto que and join a server thats full and also can we now just select a dayZ server and update and connect witout having to manually disable the ACE mods?

Hi can anyone solve this problem ive got with yoma's addonsync, ive installed everything launch addonsync search for game servers everything is ok to there.

when i double click on the game i want to join i keep getting server is unreachable???? tried everything nothing works please help.

Arma2 has changed to GameSpy3 protocol nine month ago. AddonSync 2009 only supports GameSpy2. I have sent a code fix to Yoma, but he never released a new version. :(

@Yoma: Please share the AddonSync source code with the community! I can provide GameSpy3 source and Im willing to implement real beta support. Whats about GPL?

Hi. Is there a way to auto que and join a server thats full and also can we now just select a dayZ server and update and connect witout having to manually disable the ACE mods?

Hi, SIX Launcher can do that. :)

Arma2 has changed to GameSpy3 protocol nine month ago. AddonSync 2009 only supports GameSpy2. I have sent a code fix to Yoma, but he never released a new version. :(

@Yoma: Please share the AddonSync source code with the community! I can provide GameSpy3 source and Im willing to implement real beta support. Whats about GPL?

The real question here is: Why do you want to use an outdated unsupported tool if you can have something better? SIX Updater can everything YAS can do and much more.

You can create custom repositories if needed, you can create modsets to share and a lot more.

If YAS is dead (and by the means of it, it looks like that) you could simply change your attention to a working alternative. (If YAS wouldn't be dead, I would not have written in here)

Yoma can't share the code because he has included some third party libs which he bought for YAS (at least that's what he told me some time ago).

And he is too busy with RL stuff.

Xeno

Yoma can't share the code because he has included some third party libs which he bought for YAS (at least that's what he told me some time ago).

Right, a ftp library. But it isnt impossible to remove this dependency and use another free lib. All other 3rd-party-libs are already LGPL.

@svenson - You have my vote and hope the author will be able to release the source so someone like yourself can continue with providing update.

I'm still an avid user of the software (especially for addon management) - I just find it easier to use than SIX-Updater (especially for server mod addon management for the group I'm with)

I'm with LondonLad on this.

This is still the easiest to use for serverside addon management and server community addon hosting,

1 click and your done.

We still use it and am not looking forward to ArmA3 without it

I'm with LondonLad on this.

This is still the easiest to use for serverside addon management and server community addon hosting,

1 click and your done.

We still use it and am not looking forward to ArmA3 without it

+1:yeahthat: ...Yoma tool is still best addons manager.

Moved to PM.

Edited by Sickboy

Moved to PM.

Thank you for the PM Sickboy, which I will respond to shortly (at work and need to get a project I'm working on underway).

@Sickboy I appreciate your work on the SU project but YAS is superior sync addons tool for squad server because is uncomplicated and easier to use. Just send auto config url to people and after 1 click they know/have addons which they need to play on that server.

nhf

Firstly, I'll admit that I didn't go through the 43 of pages of posts. Here is my need. We have a arma 2 server, would like to use Yoma 2009 Add on Sync to have our members sync with our server. I can't find any detailed instructions to set up YADS2009 to do this?

Can anyone point me to step by step instructions, give the instructions or even in the spirit of Arma 2, help set it up?

Thanks in advance.