Sign in to follow this  
itsme

Arma 3!!! Your Expectations

There's two major factors I'd like to see get a complete overhaul;

Physics & Animations.

Physics are all about objects in the world, the physics of ground and air vehicles, when you hit someone and some ragdoll systems. It's not fun to drive in this game because it's such a static and boring feeling, there are no bumps, no feel to the vehicle. Crashes are just weird collisions etc. So on the whole; redo the system.

Animations shouldn't need much explaining, we all know how extremely static animations are - I just want to see proper animations for entering / exiting vehicles, using mounted weapons, reloading and all that.

The ground in the game is bumpy actually, even when it's not (preview with no grass, no bumps but the suspension is moving) The problem with bumps is that there is no head jarring or sound to indicate it.

In real life you hit a bump and you hear a loud noise, your head is also jarred in some way. In the game you hit a bump you might hear a dull "thunk" at most but most of the time you don't, and your vision remains perfectly intact.

As for animations..eh..get in and out aren't necessary but more variety in crouch and ducking might be nice for things such as vehicle turrets, this one imo a great thing BF2 had was the ability to fire from a moving vehicle (note we're talking from the default M2 50 cal etc position) and duck inside when things got too hot.

@ danny96..no bugs..never going to happen buddy.

I have no expectations, expectations are bad..they paint you this pretty picture that will obviously not be achieved and leave you dissapointed. As far as wishes go I would like to see more interactivity with vehicles, I'm not saying we need SIM quality but things such as maps on modern aircraft displays would be a nice edition, the ability to simply open doors on some vehicles and use them as cover, some kind of weapons system for ranged artillery that could make it useful to human players not just AI. less glamour and more substance.

However this hinges greately on weather or not there is an Arma3, personally I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by NodUnit

battlefield 2 is pretty "old" game allready, but still beats ArmA2 animations any day. I mean, all static guns and stuff are animated, if you turn around with the gun, your HANDS stay with the gun, the gun just doesnt clip like in ArmA2. I know this can't be fixed with patch or anything, but I hope BIS takes care of small things like this in their future games

Well I've seen some pretty impressive blackhawk gunnery animations in Arma as well. So at least it's possible. Iirc I think that was for Arma1 even... For all the passengers, today they only hear the gun shooting, not the man operating the gun actually "working his ass off" :) Would add a lot to immersion, but I have to admit it's not on my top priority list.

Arma 3 needs a stronger engine with some updated API's

I understand that for arma 2 its was smart to stick with DX9 only since a large majority of the people who bought arma 2 play it on Windows XP.

If Arma 3 is 5-10 years from now it only makes sense to update the engines base to accomendate 64bit /Windows 7 and other future OS.

RV4 should be extremely modular and render efficient.

feature 35km viewdistance with (just cause 2) quality terrain and mountains this= HUGE immersion boost.

and the usual

Deffered lighting, improved lighting effects/volumetric lighting, and improved shadow quality and draw distance

Smoother transitions in animation, collision detection on everything (no clipping), physics NO RAGDOLL this causes alot of glitches there should be a better method by the time.

Increased texture quality/resolutions, Higher quality Texture filtering, Better streaming systems/LOD no more sutter issues hopefully, Rebuilt sound engine it should use my sweet sound card :(

Better dynamic skydomes, volumetric particles and maybe some small implementation of digital molecular matter DMM.

and a polished easier to use interface for both menus and ingame commands

I dont care about graphics, just make a better network stack... :p Id be happy with how it is graphic wise if we had a really really solid network stack that worked over internet.

I'm sure all of this has been suggested before . . . but I'll go ahead and put my say in:

What I want in Arma 3:

-3D editor

-3D camera scripting editor (basically something that works rather than trying to script everything)

-better AI pathfinding, especially for helicopters. This will make scripting out scenes and stuff much easier.

-better AI pathfining in Urban areas, or at least new AI for CQB, such as stacking up and room clearing.

-more dynamic campaign that really makes use of the "anything can happen this is real" mentallity. Oh, and a much better, climactic ending . . . Arma 2's little text discription for the ending was quite the buzz kill.

-female soldiers. as much as they are involved in modern conflict this is a must.

-better voice acting . . .

-working Train system. Tains are a major aspect of any modern countries transportation and logistical system, even the military. I forsee a lot of use for trains in mission future missions, if they were more available ;)

-and, wth, lasers. BFGs. blasters. phasers. plasma rifles. photon cannons.

otherwise I'm sure the community can handle the rest ;)

I just need BIS to fix collision (weapon, character and house collision). So that we can finally fight properly in houses.

It is the only way to get me and my team (and lots of others) to play arma again. PvP in arma is at the moment broken. OFP wasn't.

It could be fixed easily. I really don't understand why Bis doesnt bother with it. :(

At least they could deactivate weapon collision when not in iron sight.. I still have hope for that.

It is the only way to get me and my team (and lots of others) to play arma again. PvP in arma is at the moment broken. OFP wasn't.

You already forgot how clipping issues were abused in OFP PvP? :eek:

I don't think it's the collision that have broken things. I'd guess it's more the animations changed introduced since A1 which drove many away

You already forgot how clipping issues were abused in OFP PvP? :eek:

Being able to walk trough thin walls and fences doesnt mean its broken. Same for explosions that can go through everything.

Didnt you know? :p

Unless Arma3 came out with a improved engine (anims/smoothness better physics/detection/muzzle flash difference and extra polish like that and better volumetric fog/ editor with better optional interface drop downs and such etc) I would say it would have run its course and would be "Arma 2.2" if released.

I'm sure all of this has been suggested before . . . but I'll go ahead and put my say in:

What I want in Arma 3:

-3D editor

-3D camera scripting editor (basically something that works rather than trying to script everything)

-better AI pathfinding, especially for helicopters. This will make scripting out scenes and stuff much easier.

-better AI pathfining in Urban areas, or at least new AI for CQB, such as stacking up and room clearing.

-more dynamic campaign that really makes use of the "anything can happen this is real" mentallity. Oh, and a much better, climactic ending . . . Arma 2's little text discription for the ending was quite the buzz kill.

-female soldiers. as much as they are involved in modern conflict this is a must.

-better voice acting . . .

-working Train system. Tains are a major aspect of any modern countries transportation and logistical system, even the military. I forsee a lot of use for trains in mission future missions, if they were more available

-and, wth, lasers. BFGs. blasters. phasers. plasma rifles. photon cannons.

otherwise I'm sure the community can handle the rest ;)

This. ^

Especially the voice acting. That is probably the most important thing for me, personally. The lasers, BFGs, blasters, phasers, plasma rifles, photon cannons I can personally do without. ;)

My expectations of ArmA3

firstly is there going to be one?

If the "Local Bug" (Where AI will not disembark a vehicle when the player group leader orders them to do so, while the vehicle is being crewed by another player) has not been fixed after over 8 years in existence, then i dont expect anything else from the game other than catering for the mass 1st person shooter market. (Cosmetics and bulls**t)

I dont expect the important elements of AI command and control from a player group leader to have been addressed.

e.g.

1) Stay down when told to get down

2) Hold fire when ordered to do so

3) Keep in formation no matter what the player pace of movement

4) Dont have dizzy fits and go off on one when entering combat mode, (never to return to normality)

If it's important dont fix it

If it's not required, add it

Thats what i expect

Although I still love the game

What I would like

Cargo system, allowing loading and unloading, carrying and dragging of equipment such as ammo crates, barrels etc

Selection of mines / booby traps and trip wires

Engineers to be upgraded with EOD search capabilities

Equipment that works, such as carryable ladders, wire cutters and mine detectors

Edited by Terox

1) They do, at least for me.

2) They do, until they are "triggered" that they think they are spotted and being engaged. Mission, addon, and difficulty problem, it seems to me.

3) Mission problem. Most people never use limited speed mode. In the default normal mode, player can actually never get into formation because they will start running if he does. This should be changed so that the player actually needs to stay a few meters in front of the formation, then they will pick up speed to match.

4) Not sure what you mean by that.

1) They do, at least for me.

2) They do, until they are "triggered" that they think they are spotted and being engaged. Mission, addon, and difficulty problem, it seems to me.

3) Mission problem. Most people never use limited speed mode. In the default normal mode, player can actually never get into formation because they will start running if he does. This should be changed so that the player actually needs to stay a few meters in front of the formation, then they will pick up speed to match.

4) Not sure what you mean by that.

As soon as they go into combat mode in an mp environment they stop following orders to the letter, this spoils it for those who used to have control over them in OFP, see this thread for more details

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1638077&postcount=12

this spoils it for those who used to have control over them in OFP

The level of control over AI in OFP was very inhuman. Yea they followed every order, but that included suicide orders. I think BIS did a good job of making the AI in ArmA 2 a lot more human. Perfect compliance and execution are unrealistic unless you're commanding a bunch of robots. I will agree that sometimes it bothers me not to have that kind of control, but it also makes you realize how much playing OFP has made you take such control for granted. Now if we only had a way to directly influence (positively and negatively) the AI's morale... that would be something to look forward to in future iterations of ArmA.