Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Frequently Asked Questions/Requests

Hoping someone can help.

I've searched and not had success trying to find out how to do something. I'm trying to place a runway on Chernarus for my mission and am hoping to suppress / turn off the vegetation taht pokes through through the tarmac. Obviously, I could elect to turn off terrain details and ultimately flatten the terrain but, most of players in my group play with terrain details turned on.

What I thought I would find would be some kind of switch or command I could place in the objects init field that would suppress or turn off the terrain that was under the object - so far, no luck.

Any help or suggestiosn would be appreciated.

There are some Grass cutter objects you can place at that location. Under Empty -> Objects

Having a problem with ACE in a custom mission. I created a rather huge mission with a bunch of modules active, including the ACE health system, several ace extras, Nielsens CIM, ACM, SOM, DAC, Civilians/cars, AC130 etc etc - a bunch of things to initalize. I spawn in cargo of an helicopter. Lets start the mission, everything works fine - everything but the ACE interaction which is horribly screwed up. The treat wounds option will appear about 10-20 seconds after map start. The whole self interation isnt the nice recangle box with different options in it but several round-cornered panels with the options in it. The Interaction (not self-interaction) is gone. Pressing my key does nothing.

I tried on other missions, works just fine. Hope you can help me.

Would it be possible for someone to port over an ACE Wounds version (Preferably the newest/latest release) of domination to Reshmaan Province? The guide that I found was very out of date since domination is on 2.7 now

Thanks!

I created a rather huge mission with a bunch of modules... I tried on other missions, works just fine. Hope you can help me.

If it's working with less bloat and isn't working with more bloat... keep removing things till it works. :) No mission needs everything. heh

Would it be possible for someone to port over an ACE Wounds version (Preferably the newest/latest release) of domination to Reshmaan Province? The guide that I found was very out of date since domination is on 2.7 now

Should just have to place down the Module and a med tent and call it good right? Maybe ask in the Domi thread if there's more to it than that.

Nope, you can edit them with your favorite text editor and much of the SQF scripts are visible though but current PBO tools can't un-pbo them properly.

Is there a simple way to script, so that each vehicle on your side shows you their fuel and ammo, individually.

example: I approach a vehicle, an option appears in the action menu or other that allows me to look at its' consumables.

thanks.

Hi!

I've stumbled on a restrict-vehicles-for-players script by EightySix, here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?118561-Pilots-only-your-not-allowed&p=1915702&viewfull=1#post1915702

It's too old a thread to be resurrected so I'm asking here.

I'm creating my first mp mission for a group of my friends, a large training template actually, with a possible later public release, and have run into a problem.

I've got 5 groups on that mission, 4 consisting of 20 playable characters and then a group with only 1 player that I (hopefully) locked for myself (so I can join any group in their vehicles if there are problems). One group are Russian woodland Pilots (pilots), another is Russian Spetsnaz Scouts (in the role of Forward Air Controllers, armed with laser designators), then MVD Operators (role of Paratroopers), then Russian woodland Crewmen (trainees for tanks and APCs) and the last one (lone player) is a Russian woodland Officer (overall commander).

I want the Pilots only to be able to be pilots and gunners of planes and choppers. The Crewmen only should be able to use tanks, tracked APCs and wheeled APCs I put in the game. The woodland Officer should be able to use anything and get in any position within any vehicle. The Scouts and Operators should be locked out of tanks and APCs and could only get in as cargo.

Anyway, on that thread I found a possible script and modified it, but now I have the problem that everyone gets kicked out of everything, pilots out of planes and choppers, crewmen out of vehicles, etc..

This is my init.sqf line:

["Plane", "RU_Soldier_Pilot"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Helicopter", "RU_Soldier_Pilot"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Wheeled_APC", "RU_Soldier_Crew"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Tank", "RU_Soldier_Crew"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Tank", "RU_Soldier_Officer"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Wheeled_APC", "RU_Soldier_Officer"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Helicopter", "RU_Soldier_Officer"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

["Plane", "RU_Soldier_Officer"] execVM "vehicle_check.sqf";

And this is the vehicle_check.sqf I modified from that one:

_vehicleType = _this select 0;

_crewType = _this select 1;

if (typeof player != _crewType) then {

private "_currentvehicle";

while {alive player} do {

waituntil {vehicle player != player};

_currentvehicle = vehicle player;

if (_currentvehicle iskindof _vehicleType && !(_currentvehicle iskindof "ParachuteBase")) then {

if (driver _currentvehicle == player) then {

player action ["eject",_currentvehicle];

waituntil {vehicle player == player};

if (_vehicleType == "Helicopter" || _vehicleType == "Plane" ) then {

hint format["Leave the flying of the %1s to the pilots, Tovarish.",_vehicleType ];

}else{

hint format["Leave the driving of the %1s to the 4th Guards Tank Division, Comrade.",_vehicleType ];

};

};

if (gunner _currentvehicle == player) then {

if (_vehicleType == "Helicopter" || _vehicleType == "Plane" ) then {

hint format["Leave the gunnery of the %1s to the pilots, Tovarish.",_vehicleType ];

}else{

hint format["Leave the gunnery of the %1s to the 4th Guards Tank Division, Comrade.",_vehicleType ];

};

};

if (commander _currentvehicle == player) then {

if (_vehicleType == "Tank" || _vehicleType == "Wheeled_APC" ) then {

hint format["Leave commanding of the %1s to the 4th Guards Tank Division, Comrade.",_vehicleType ];

};

};

};

};

};

The kick-out script seems to work, but it does not discriminate.

Does the problem have to do with the fact that I renamed every playable unit (soldiers) in their description, for example a pilot into "Pilot Candidate" and set their group id, with putting in the group's leader's init field "this setGroupId ["Pilot Candidates Class 539"];"?

I was also using the "NORRN Aerial Taxi Service Script" by norrin and it worked great until I did some tiny changes, among them renaming the units in their descriptions (left the names for which it was set of the specific units). Then it stopped working. I have no idea what could've caused that because I deleted their names and the script still isn't starting.

Could these two problems be connected?

Thanks!

Very useful thread, thanks.

Just what a rookie needs when it comes to scripting and editing :)

I don't mean voice acting, but does anyone have any random radio chatter .oggs they'd be willing to share?

Can someone tell me the arma equivilent to this LUA code

totaldestruction = 0;

totaldestruction = totaldestruction +1;

if totaldestruction == 4 then 
dosomething

Can you keep track of values and add to them in this way, with publicVariables in arma?

I have many optional objectives, I'm looking to find when certain numbers of them have been completed. Say ten optional objectives, I want to know when 3 of them have been completed, but it doesn't matter which ones. Each objective completion gets a corresponding ->

tskObj1done=true; publicVariable "tskObj1done" 

There are probably many ways to do this, but was wondering about pulicVariables and values.

Edited by PlacidPaul

totaldestruction = totaldestruction +1;
publicvariable "totaldestruction"

if (totaldestruction == 4) then {...do some shit here...} else {...do some other shit here...};

The "else {}" is optional.

It could be just

if (totaldestruction == 4) then {...do some shit here...};

ps; don't be bashful to post your problem in a new thread. Sometimes members may accidentally overlook this FAQ and go straight to the actual threads with problems. I know I do... alot

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Mr.Murray Editing Guide - lots of useful info for those just starting with arma scripting.

I would normally never link 6th sense MP to you, but you seem to have some experience with scripting/programming in general. So maybe it won't scare you away!! I know it scares me!

Edited by Iceman77

Hello,

im currently working on a TVT mission where the weather is selectable by scripts.

In the result there are setFog (etc) calls that are executed locally on all clients when the server side script selects the weather.

How can i ensure that the weather stays the same during the mission on any client?

Just use this day & weather script. You can adjust it to your liking, it's MP/JIP compatible and has an optional random weather parameter.

Hi,

i am aware of various weather scripts, however i am interested in the general functions that deal with the set* function calls, not with synchronisation isses or other problems.

Is it true, that the only way to force constant, not changing, weather is to have set* in a loop? Or are there other options, like for example disabling some simulation?

i mean, something actually changes the local values that are reported by e.g. 'rain' or 'fog'-commands.

Especially with fog, calling the setFog function gives a nasty visual side effect of a jumping fog barrier...

Hi,

i am aware of various weather scripts, however i am interested in the general functions that deal with the set* function calls, not with synchronisation isses or other problems.

Is it true, that the only way to force constant, not changing, weather is to have set* in a loop? Or are there other options, like for example disabling some simulation?

i mean, something actually changes the local values that are reported by e.g. 'rain' or 'fog'-commands.

Especially with fog, calling the setFog function gives a nasty visual side effect of a jumping fog barrier...

Ahh okay. Well, time of day & weather have always been an issue in MP. I wouldn't bother trying to synchronize time & day/ weather, i'd just use one of the scripts out there. Unless of course, you just want to do your own weather for the sake of doing it.

My weather is already synced at mission start and JIP. I am just searchng for an elegant method to keep the weather "as is", so eg rain persists during the mission, regardless how long it may take.

One currently working option is to have setRain in a loop, but i wanted to know if there are better solutions.

Edited by helling3r

tree questions:

i try to create my own mission in the editor

how can i make a random objekt work like a ammobox - so i can look into the "gear"?

and how can i put a weapon on the map like an objekt?

and how kan i set the height over the ground vor an objekt?

tree questions:

i try to create my own mission in the editor

how can i make a random objekt work like a ammobox - so i can look into the "gear"?

and how can i put a weapon on the map like an objekt?

and how kan i set the height over the ground vor an objekt?

And 1 answer to them all... Mr.Murrays Editing Guide

Hi. I'm working on a SP campaign. I'm requesting someone make a "yes or no" dialogue for side objectives, where I could put a picture, and a few words about the objective. Full credit & praise will be given upon release.Below is a crude image I quickly whipped up in Gimp. The corners don't have to be rounded if you don't like. In any case, feel free to enhance, expand, or to go overboard with the idea. Or... simply make a crude dialogue like the one below, as that would even be great. Please send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

objectivedialogue.jpg

Regards,

David

[sOLVED] - Created one myself. http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2729/icedialog.jpg

Edited by Iceman77
SOLVED

I'm trying to find a way to create a script that does two things, some of you have given me some advice, unfortunately, I'm still having trouble with the script. Basically

1.)find the nearest "CityCenter" to any west unit

2.)use the configFiles to populate the a certain area around the CityCenter with IED's, and create triggers attached to those created ied's to spawn the explosions(west only as ied's are east friendly:) )

3.) have the location updated everytime a unit gets within 100 yards of the city center

Any guidance/suggestions/examples would be greatly appreciated as I'm a nub at understanding the more complex scripting stuff.

Edited by jakkob4682
added thanks for any help

I'm trying to find a way to create a script that does two things, some of you have given me some advice, unfortunately, I'm still having trouble with the script. Basically

1.)find the nearest "CityCenter" to any west unit

2.)use the configFiles to populate the a certain area around the CityCenter with IED's, and create triggers attached to those created ied's to spawn the explosions(west only as ied's are east friendly:) )

3.) have the location updated everytime a unit gets within 100 yards of the city center

Any guidance/suggestions/examples would be greatly appreciated as I'm a nub at understanding the more complex scripting stuff.

The concept is fairly basic, but I lack the know how to put it all together :(

one function scans for a city center every set amount of seconds and the other one waits til the location is found then creates the ieds.

Looking for someone to write a low gear (2 speed transmission) script for tracked armor. IE: For climbing steep hills at a reasonable, but realistic pace. There is one intertwined into WFs, vahalla etc. So I know it's possible. My scripting skills may have been coming along way recently, but I'm affraid my math just isn't up to this task.