Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Frequently Asked Questions/Requests

My friends and I play with MCC Sandbox, we spawn many different things that require many different counters .

Cheating? How is it cheating to use it as a mod that can be loaded via SIX using an @mod? How is it cheating when joining servers that don't allow specific or unsigned mods would not be possible? I specifically want it as an @mod so that I can use it in a sandbox session as we see fit depending on the situation. Sure MCC can be used to spawn crates but that is time consuming. A box with a limited number of useful items makes sense. We'd rather have a crate full of weapons ready to go rather then somebody trying to build them on the fly.

Anyhow, ASR can be configured to load weapons specific to a mission based on some linkage to the mission file. Read the ASR config file and you'll see this. In a sandbox mission it simply spawns a general box.

Thanks for being judgmental rather than being helpful.

Edited by lawndartleo

Can a mission force audio/subtitle settings to make certain AI never speak?

Edit: Do distance commands hog system resources? I plan to have a dozen triggers, with each firing when the player closes within a hundred meters of a variety of units. I don't need the distances accurately tracked and displayed, and most of the time the conditions will be far from being fulfilled, so should I worry about the performance implications of running a bunch at once?

And does anyone know if the 'dead AI take up as much CPU as living AI' glitch has been fixed?

Is there any way to keep grouped vehicles still except from removing fuel, which leads to strange sound issues and dialog spam?

Edited by maturin

I am requesting a most likely frequently asked question so..

I have made an Intro movie for a mission so my question is how would I change/convert this from an Intro >into a looping movie cut scenes that plays behind the menu for the map in which it was made for as a scene that plays only before mission start & after end mission?

links and a brief explanation would help

Edited by MadM0nkey
Align left.. I always forget

The background stuff is actually based on the map not a mission as far as I'm aware. Best bet would be to make it an optional video at the beginning of the mission using the video playback function.

The background stuff is actually based on the map not a mission as far as I'm aware.

yeah that's the problem, some of the caa1 "old OFP maps" I am using didn't come with any and so I was hoping there was a simple way to add some menu background scenes avoiding the entire BI Tools editing.

Best bet would be to make it an optional video at the beginning of the mission using the video playback function.

is there any script syntax examples to achieve this anywhere you can think of?

Arma 2 has a replacement of cba_fnc_globalexecute? (I cant use CBA in my mission)

Edited by MacintoshRUS

Arma 2 has a replacement of cba_fnc_globalexecute? (I cant use CBA in my mission)

There's the Multiplayer Framework which can do some of the same things CBA can do as far as executing commands on every client is concerned.

I'm thinking of getting back into creating missions after 10 years away (last time doing that was for original Opf) and I have a recon mission in mind. But the question is, how do I make it so that the player's view being directed at the target for more than 2 seconds count as a task accomplished? Thanks

Trigger with a TIMEOUT Min/Mid/Max of 2 and a condition of cursorTarget == whatever the target is.

1. Can someone explain exactly what happens when the player respawns (particularly group respawn). From what i understand there is a period when player is not player. Does the init. get run or does it just switch to playable character?

2. Does anything need to be done to ensure the player respawns as team leader of group?

3. Is there a way to have only leader of group appear as playable in lobby, but still retain group respawn? I heard that this is a bug. Strange that it has not been fixed, being that it worked with arma & OFP. Have i missed a workaround?

*edit* 4. in the BIKI if no global or local symbol is shown, is it global Or what?

Edited by PlacidPaul

The UAV implementation of remote control is rather short of control.... So I got to thinking.... Make a marker where the UAV sits on base, call it UAV. Throw in the UAV wagon for pretty looks but no UAV module. the UAV is perfectly pilotable and quite effective against targets with its load of 8 hellfires but if it gets destroyed you do, too. What about a script that simply pops the pilot immediately back to the UAV marker, no harm done except for a lost UAV.

Viable idea?

Sadly, my scripting skills are rather thin but I am not averse to taking a crack at if by butchering some other respawn script to suit... but I need pointers, and even confirmation that it is possible.

I've got a very basic question: how to create scripts and how to use them in a multiplayer mission I'm not hosting. Okay, so that's two questions.

For example, I've been given the script line for the dance animation, but have no clue how to use it. Further example of what I want to know how to use (BIS_fnc_customGPSvideo and BIS_fnc_customGPS) is here:

(of course I want to use my own video and song and not this one)

Please help!

There's nothing "very basic" about multiplayer scripting I'm afraid. :) People have been coding MP in BIS games for over a decade and still mess things up, do things wrong or find new and exciting ways to work around bugs.

Specifically for the functions you asked about you can check the wiki for information about using BIS_fnc_customGPS and BIS_fnc_customGPSvideo. The first command is pretty easy to use, you can just put the example in the init.sqf and it'll run for everyone. The GPS video one though you'll need to prepare a video in the proper OGV format then you play it back using that function. For both things you'll need the Functions module on the map.

Hi all,

I am having a blast (figuratively and literally) with the Arma mission editor. I have been searching for an answer to this, but have yet to find a solution.

I am wanting to know how to take a friendly vehicle/plane/ship, etc. and set it as an enemy or as a part of an enemy group. I have tried the "side=east" & a few other ideas I saw in other topics, but it hasn't worked as of yet. What am I doing wrong and could anyone either explain it to me or point me towards the right topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my mission is at a stand still right now because I can't figure this out. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can help me out with this one.

Regards,

StickmanUSMC

GySgt. USMC(Ret.)

Hi all,

I am having a blast (figuratively and literally) with the Arma mission editor. I have been searching for an answer to this, but have yet to find a solution.

I am wanting to know how to take a friendly vehicle/plane/ship, etc. and set it as an enemy or as a part of an enemy group. I have tried the "side=east" & a few other ideas I saw in other topics, but it hasn't worked as of yet. What am I doing wrong and could anyone either explain it to me or point me towards the right topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my mission is at a stand still right now because I can't figure this out. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can help me out with this one.

Regards,

StickmanUSMC

GySgt. USMC(Ret.)

Very easy. Group it with the enemy group (F2, drag an drop). If you wanna make it enemy but alone, outside of a group, group it with an enemy unit which is the leader (greater rank), and set the probability of presence of the given enemy unit to 0 to make it disappear at mission's start.

Thanks for the response ProfTournesol....I appreciate the quick response. Unfortunately, I tried your idea and it did not work....Enemy units still fired on the friendly units that I grouped with them. Making the parent unit's probability of presence at 0 will not work for what I am trying to do. I am making a carrier strike mission that involves an anti-shipping aspect to it. And, unfortunately, Arma 2 doesn't have a wide variety of ships to choose from....even with some of the add-ons I am using. I am trying to make some Liberty ships and Flower-class corvettes I got with Gnat's Waves and Warship add-on and have them set to the enemy side. That way, when one attacks them, you do not get credited with FF kills and a negative score in the process. And for it to be challenging, I am using the Russian frigates, Akula-class, and Delta IV-class submarines as lead targets in the shipping convoys. And because of them being lead, I can't set them to probability 0....Which in turn, leads to them firing on the aforementioned friendly ships. I have even tried grouping them separately with just one lead ship and keep getting the same result.

I appreciate the time you took to respond to my question and the possible solution you offered! I guess I will have to keep searching and trying to find a solution for this problem.

Again, Thank You ProfTournesol!

Regards,

StickmanUSMC

GySgt. USMC(Ret.)

Edited by StickmanUSMC

Well, that's quite strange, it's working flawlessly for me. When you group units, pay attention that the side of the group will be dictated by the side of the leader, thus you should pay attention to the ranks. About ships, as IIRC some turrets (and servants) are created by script after the game is launched, maybe it somehow breaks the grouping thingy.

Strange indeed. You could still go the dirty way and manually change the side of units in the mission.sqm. Although if you do that, create a file backup, as you're likely to mess it up. And a messed up sqm is a lost mission.